Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

TK
Message added by TK,

1884639388_ScreenShot2021-10-24at4_13_23PM.thumb.png.081982b60afe782d64205ceda7ecf248.png

6 minutes ago, method man said:

It doesn't really matter this year with the QBs not being very good in this draft. I'd rather go on a late season run and have a bunch of things clicking to attract free agents and have an improved chance of landing a veteran QB

Didn't they try that last year?  Personally I'm not sure the record would be a lot different with Fitz.  

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, we are already at a point where @KDawg can't even muster the the energy to create the Next Day thread.  I don't blame you, just sad that it's freaking week 7 and we're already like - eh, who cares?

I may do it still. Kinda busy. Kinda don't feel like it.

It's the same thing every week. Just repetitive at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bad teams have certain trademarks and we have them stamped all over us right now. That game was winnable yesterday but we refused to take it. Heinicke can't even score a TD given a wide open lane. Gibson continues to fumble the ball in key spots. Terry Mac even dropped a TD that went right through his hands and banged off of his chest while in the end zone. Jamin Davis got absolutely trucked by Marcedes Lewis and we had several missed tackles or times where opponents ran over us for 3 extra yards to get 1st downs. The Packers had a grand total of zero redzone stops this season yet found ways to stop us at least 3 times. Blocked field goal. 

Blaming TH is one thing but this thing is broken from top to bottom. Injuries, lack of weapons on both sides of the ball. No significant adjustments being made at halftime. 

I'm really concerned about Gibson; Did our coaches over-evaluate his ability to be a workhorse running back? Between his injuries and fumbles he is starting to become more of a question than an answer for me.

Defensively we just seem so soft, whether it's soft coverage or soft tackling I just don't see a very physical team. 2-5 in year two or Ron's system after showing so much promise last year is just inexcusable. I get that injuries are killing us too but we could've won yesterday with who we have and we laid another egg....Very disappointing. 

• Like 3

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lets-not-too-carried-away-005834057.html

Let's not get too carried away with what Washington did in Green Bay

Peter Hailey

Sun, October 24, 2021, 5:58 PM

The Washington Football Team did seem to play with quite a bit of effort against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday afternoon. The defensive line really harassed Aaron Rodgers throughout the first half, defenders like Danny Johnson and Landon Collins saw extensive action in unfamiliar roles and quarterback Taylor Heinicke did his damndest to move the offense.

After the two-touchdown defeat at Lambeau Field, Ron Rivera addressed reporters and came across as downright pleased with the way his players performed in Week 7 (which was the squad's third-straight loss).

"I love the fight in these guys," Rivera said. "There’s no quit. They played hard. And that’s all you can ask for as a coach — that your guys come out and play hard and give themselves an opportunity."

Well... is that really all Rivera can ask for from Washington? To show up and deliver top-notch effort?

Not really, to be frank. In all honesty, that should be the bare minimum, if anything.  One thing Rivera could request on top of NFL-quality energy is NFL-quality execution in the red zone. That's not going too far or being too greedy, right?

Heinicke's bunch travelled inside of the Packers' 20-yard line on four different occasions Sunday and scored a grand total of zero points on those trips. On two of those visits, they got inside of the five and still didn't find the end zone.

Here's another thing Rivera could reasonably demand of his squad: A stop on an opponent's opening drive. That would be a true coup. 

Rodgers began his day with a 13-play, 75-yard trek that concluded with a fourth-down scoring strike to star wide receiver Davante Adams. The Chargers, Giants, Bills and Chiefs all registered touchdowns on their initial possessions versus Washington, too, just like the Packers did. Only the Falcons, who had to settle for a field goal, and the Saints, who had to punt, can't relate.

And how about some execution when it's time to stay on the field as an offense? As long as the wish list isn't getting too crammed, that warrants a spot on there as well.

Washington out-gained Green Bay by more than 100 yards and won the time of possession battle by more than five minutes. However, their aforementioned red-zone ineptitude held them back, as did the 4-for-11 success rate on third downs and 1-for-4 output on fourth downs. That's known as coming up small in big moments.

In another season — like, if this was still Rivera's first campaign as the Burgundy and Gold's leader or if the team had been more consistent in 2021 before Sunday's matchup — it'd be easier to accept the coach's assessment of what Washington did on Sunday.

Perhaps some would even nod their heads along with him and agree that the "fight" that Rivera's roster showed was worthy of highlighting.

With how this year has gone, though — the repetitive mistakes, the underperforming defense, the additions that have actually subtracted and the recent stretch of meaningless fourth quarters — it's straight-up difficult to get riled up about players doing their best.

"We’ll continue to do that because that’s the only way we’re going to get better," Rivera said postgame. 

If only it were that simple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, method man said:

It doesn't really matter this year with the QBs not being very good in this draft. I'd rather go on a late season run and have a bunch of things clicking to attract free agents and have an improved chance of landing a veteran QB

This is the type of silver lining I can get behind haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

I was and remain a big Ron R supporter but having said that, he has to start doing more than give us platitudes. I don't need to hear all that is going on but I want to see him pissed. He should have been pissed as hell the offense was such a RZ disaster. Taylor going down early instead of going in upright or at least diving for the EZ is inexcusable. Him throwing a pick in the EZ is inexcusable. The fumbles by everyone, inexcusable. Even Terry got in on the action with a EZ pass doinking off his face, inexcusable. The defense did better in the first half but still gave up an easy 1st drive TD. And some of their success was more GB ineptitude. Make no mistake the loss is on the offense this week, just like last week. Def holding Aaron freaking Rogers to 24 pts, you have to win that game against a Joe Barry defense. 

I want to see coaches that are pissed and making it clear that poor execution is not acceptable. There are consequences. And firing the kicker is not enough. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

we are lucky to have more than a few longtime es'ers who really 'work' to do all kinds of stuff for this site

your 'next day' efforts are one of those true services to the forum, especially in times where it's hard to want to write it all out cuz ther's so much yuck and i totally get not doing it until you feel like it again

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Well Danny Johnson had two nice open field tackles. Even forced a fumble on one if I'm right.

So, there's still that.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Kdawg love ya buddy. Your a great guy. Anyway we’re far from the best team. Right now I think the Cardinals or Titans are the best.

Edited by ThePackisback

13 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

So, don't like hearing about this COVID breakout in GB. 

I have to believe this is going to be problematic for the Football team this week.

I’d be worried, if any of our defensive players were anywhere near 6 feet from him. But they’re always further away than that from any receiver ;) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’d be worried, if any of our defensive players were anywhere near 6 feet from him. But they’re always further away than that from any receiver ;) 

That's why they couldn't stop them, they were just being responsible and social distancing.  Makes sense now.  The part I don't get is why has Landon Collins been social distancing for 3 years when covid only hit 18 months ago.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We didn’t punt for the first time in a game in over 20 years? Just read that stat.

Damn our best player wasted for the day doing nothing :ols:

And scored 10 points.  Only the skins could pull that off!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We didn’t punt for the first time in a game in over 20 years? Just read that stat.

Damn our best player wasted for the day doing nothing :ols:

Yeah I posted some stuff on BHRBN about that:

We have a huge tendancy to lose these games for whatever reasons.

But Tress Way did do something as he hold the ball 3 times. 1 on the XP and 2 FGs. So he did walk on the field.

• Thanks 1