Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

43 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

This team competed by running the ball and focusing on the short passing game. Sam carried us for that second half and is clearly someone worth developing. Even still, there were no clean pockets and he constantly had to adjust his mark in his drop backs. And yes, he held the ball too long on a couple of plays, but most of it seemed by design.

Can you show me what plays he held the ball too long?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Before last week's game I kept thinking Howell has shown he's just ****ing ice-cold in the last minute or two of each half, but also thought he had only started 3 games and I was including the preseason when reaching my conclusion so kept quiet about it. Then of course the Bills game happened lol...

But holy mother****...he really does have ice in his veins. Shouldn't have thrown it to Thomas before the Dotson TD, but screw it...and that throw to Terry in OT was just *chef's kiss*...He's gonna be good. Real good.

• Like 8

You’re not going to have a deep passing game in the NFL if your QB has to get rid of it the moment his last step taps the turf every single play. Good defenses will not allow it. What you’d end up with is a dozen throw aways a game. No one wants that. Howell has to have a bunch of plays every game where he appears to have all damn day to throw the ball. We get almost none of those. I don’t give a damn about how many seconds this or that, not immediately releasing the ball should not result in an immediate sack so frequently. 

I’ll also add that the line has a bad habit of failing at multiple points on each play. Sam is rarely sacked by the one guy that slipped through, something he has the mobility to run away from. He tends to be pressured from all around at once. Compare that to Hurts who just happily jogs into an expansive field of green when he’s pressured from one side. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Destino said:

You’re not going to have a deep passing game in the NFL if your QB has to get rid of it the moment his last step taps the turf every single play. Good defenses will not allow it. What you’d end up with is a dozen throw aways a game. No one wants that. Howell has to have a bunch of plays every game where he appears to have all damn day to throw the ball. We get almost none of those. I don’t give a damn about how many seconds this or that, not immediately releasing the ball should not result in an immediate sack so frequently. 

I’ll also add that the line has a bad habit of failing at multiple points on each play. Sam is rarely sacked by the one guy that slipped through, something he has the mobility to run away from. He tends to be pressured from all around at once. Compare that to Hurts who just happily jogs into an expansive field of green when he’s pressured from one side. 

Also, Slay was doing a great job of covering one of our Wrs. Imagine if we had Slay and the Eagles had Forbes. Howell would have had a field day just like Hurts did with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Can you show me what plays he held the ball too long?

the only plays I saw where you can say he held the ball to long were the ones where the defender came through like a freight train and while he technically had time to throw the ball doing it would expose the ball to a play being made

5 starts and only 1 stinker so far, and some real nice comebacks lead against Denver, Arizona, and Philly. Very promising. I'm a sample size guy, so I'm not gonna be sold on a real small window of starts, but I think so far he's been much better than any of us ever expected him to be in his first 5 starts, especially a team with a pretty crap OL, and a messy, largely ill considered build from Rivera and Co. The ghastly decision making in round 1 and round 2 historically has been particularly bad, so the fact that he's 3-2 as a starter with only one poor performance behind a meh OL is truly impressive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He’s playing a raw 5th round rookie QB that is magnetically attracted to getting sacked in the 4th year of his regime lol. That’s insanity. 

I’d think issues would be expected even if the line was a strong point. The roster itself is ready to win except for the most important position. 

OK, so it's Howell based in combination to your thought with a roster built to win now. 

If I felt that way I'd give Ron a break.  If I felt he built the roster the right way and all you needed is the QB -- in Ron's defense what other QB was he going to acquire this off season?

And I get your point on the QB its not that you are per se that down on Howell but you are down on a loaded roster in your mind being held up by a QB who likely will have some growing pains. 

Personally, I don't think he's built the roster in the right way.  Too many draft picks-too much money staggered on defensive unit in an offensive league -- a IMO below par O line, etc.   And too many bad decisions in general.  And this draft isn't looking hot at least in the context of 2023.  So that's why i am out on Ron. 

But if I felt he got it cooking with everything but the QB situation for this season, I'd be cool with Ron for the most part if I saw it that way which I don't.  But again to each their own.

27 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

5 starts and only 1 stinker so far, and some real nice comebacks lead against Denver, Arizona, and Philly. Very promising. I'm a sample size guy, so I'm not gonna be sold on a real small window of starts, but I think so far he's been much better than any of us ever expected him to be in his first 5 starts, especially a team with a pretty crap OL, and a messy, largely ill considered build from Rivera and Co. The ghastly decision making in round 1 and round 2 historically has been particularly bad, so the fact that he's 3-2 as a starter with only one poor performance behind a meh OL is truly impressive. 

Imagine Howell with the Eagles O line or a struggiling rookie CB lets say covering Terry?  When Hurts had to make big plays, he often had that time to do it and receivers were open.

I agree we need a bigger sample size but if it keeps going on this track -- a new regime next off season who Eagles style knows how to press the gas and build a roster with some urgency -- and this could be an 11-12 win team IMO.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I wanna see him with an OL. 

Me, too

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

The Bills defense brought TUa and the Dolphins back down to earth. We got sliced and diced by a buzzsaw. 

I went to pick up breakfast today and the dude who owns the place is an Eagles fan.  He every now and then gives me a hard time when I wear Washington gear.  He saw my gear this morning and was chatting with a Dolphins fan and they were making fun of this team -- saying we got lucky to beat Denver and we saw how much Denver sucks when they got smoked by Miami.  If we won, I'd have gone back there tomorrow.  But I got extra satisfaction from the Bills smoking the Dolphins today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Also, Slay was doing a great job of covering one of our Wrs. Imagine if we had Slay and the Eagles had Forbes. Howell would have had a field day just like Hurts did with him.

I'll also say that I think Brown is better than any of our WRs.  I know people love McLaurin, but one of my take aways from today was unless we can get a to 1 or 2 QB, we need to upgrade the OL (a lot) but also the skill positions.

Hurts is playing behind one of if not the best OL and has some of the best skill position players in the league.  The Commanders OL isn't nearly as good, but even their WRs, which are supposed to be a strength, can't match the Eagles WRs partly because Brown > McLaurin.

Edited by PeterMP

18 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

This wasn't like last year's Philly game where it took everything going right while playing hide-a-Qb for them to win it. Hell if RR had made the correct decision and gone for 2 they probably win this one too.

Or gone for it in OT on 4th and 5. How could he trust his D at this point?

3 hours ago, Hooper said:

He's a baller who will keep getting better.

We should be thrilled. 

I am.  He showed extreme poise in the pocket today, moved when he needed to, and threw the ball away when he needed to.  No INTs, and damn sure wasn't gonna give up with only 5 seconds left to go.  It was a great thing to see. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

This wasn't like last year's Philly game where it took everything going right while playing hide-a-Qb for them to win it. Hell if RR had made the correct decision and gone for 2 they probably win this one too.

Why is going for 2 the correct decision? Only about 45% of 2-pt attempts are successful, and we don't exactly have an OLine that can impose it's will on the defense. Hell, if the refs called Terry's catch as in bounds instead of out of bounds, we probably win in OT as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Why is going for 2 the correct decision? Only about 45% of 2-pt attempts are successful, and we don't exactly have an OLine that can impose it's will on the defense. Hell, if the refs called Terry's catch as in bounds instead of out of bounds, we probably win in OT as well.

Two crazy things, either one could have changed the game. 

I was for the OT, hopefully get a few minutes to regroup and make a plan. 

Wrong plan, and Tress picked an awful time to shank a punt.  It is what it is.  But we showed up against a better than average team/QB, and I'm kinda proud of that. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Not only did Howell drive that offense down the field as the game closed, but he also got absolutely robbed of the completion to Terry in OT where the sideline camera clearly showed his foot down with green turf between it and the OB white.  I was so confident after that replay angle it would be overturned despite understanding why live it was called OB.  I am think both defenses were gassed and once call was overturned, we were at least marching down for a FG if not a winning TD.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

This wasn't like last year's Philly game where it took everything going right while playing hide-a-Qb for them to win it.

Yup.

We made things easy and didn't ask Howell to be Atlus and hold everything up like previous weeks, but he was a good contributor and when the time came around where he had to be more than that to give us a chance he was.

Even in a losing effort Howell did more and was asked to do more than the majority of what we saw at QB last year, Howell's game included.

QB role is important in determining the quality of QB play, they are not asked to do the same things.

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Not only did Howell drive that offense down the field as the game closed, but he also got absolutely robbed of the completion to Terry in OT where the sideline camera clearly showed his foot down with green turf between it and the OB white.  I was so confident after that replay angle it would be overturned despite understanding why live it was called OB.  I am think both defenses were gassed and once call was overturned, we were at least marching down for a FG if not a winning TD.

I am so excited this morning that I couldn't give less of a **** about getting robbed by the refs last night. Those things happen. You know what doesn't happen? Finding a franchise QB in the fifth round? Finding one who can keep his cool when everybody is counting him out and calling for him to be benched. 

I had twetted Kevin Sheehan to watch our Comeback Kid bring us back because the Eagles had left too much time on the clock. 103 seconds. Way too much time for this guy. And he used every second. And scored. 

This is the makings of a new rivalry. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1