Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2

Koolblue13

I thought it was significant when Keim basically said that our staff feels like JD is a high level processor in his JD pro day vid.

QB is played between the ears and if you think a guy has got it there, that's a big part of the battle.

Don't let Keim's musings shake your convictions tho. Keep being adorable with how things are gonna shake out.

lfe9xo5txox.jpg.b6a8dd5e3d6130780382d3e9d1e15b01.jpg

I still think this is a 2 horse race but I gotta admit, I like where this is going.

e3d202d2-cfee-47ab-8e3d-cb8fdac02628_text.gif.41d2cb5c7b03526b76c8cbcb0315d57b.gif

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

if we get Maye, Daniels or McCarthy  I think all four, if put in a good situation, can develop and be a great quarterback.

(also think all four, if put in a bad situation can totally **** the bed)

The best response in this thread 2070 pages later and the Truth 

• Thanks 1

I watched just one minute of this. I literally cannot imagine a pro day being filmed in a way that is less useful and entertaining. These pro day highlights from NFL.com, zooming in on the QB, from the front, are just utterly worthless. You can't appreciate the ball leaving his hand, the trajectory, spin, velocity, or placement. 

• Like 1

I have watched a few peoples reviews on both QBs (Maye and JD) and I come away with the idea that JD reads defenses better and manipulates defenders better. I don't ever see you guys discussing that though and I want your opinions on it if you have any. 

• Like 2

I prefer Maye but if you like Daniels more you should listen to Keim’s latest about their pro days,lol.

Coaches (not Washington) he has talked to see Maye as needing a year. It’s overall very negative about Maye, IMO.

I think Coaches across the league prefer Daniels and GMs prefer Maye-just my speculation for all the discrepancies.

I’ve really wanted to like Daniels because some of the biggest determinants of success (work ethic, character) as well as good arm talent (release, accuracy) he has in spades.

I just hope if he’s he pick the coaches have a plan and scheme to use his running but not have him kill himself running the ball.

I have no doubt that he will learn and master the scheme ASAP.

I still will have to really talk myself into him if he’s the choice, I think Maye’s issues are much easier to correct and his path to success is much easier to see in some sort of air raid style offense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have watched a few peoples reviews on both QBs (Maye and JD) and I come away with the idea that JD reads defenses better and manipulates defenders better. I don't ever see you guys discussing that though and I want your opinions on it if you have any. 

My question would be where did he show that? Based on advanced metrics (granted there was an error in third down so who knows anymore) he doesn't demonstrate that at all. How can he if he's taking off. Guys who read defenses and manipulate defenders scramble to throw the ball, not take off and run.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The videos I have seen shows Maye reading defenses pre-snap very well. He also called his own protection and could change the play.

I think post snap he didn’t have a lot of time due to free rushers and his oline losing.

I think overall when accounting for age and experience Maye has great upside there, but Daniels executed their offense to perfection and played well against the Alabama defense.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would speculate most, particularly those in the same division with multiple games, would prefer to gameplan against the guy who doesn’t slide well and takes unnecessary hits and looks like a toothpick.  There would be some version of a Gregg Williams pre game speech about hitting him with violent force each and every time and the giant elbow bursa as a bonus bounty if the hit burst it like a water balloon. 

• Like 2

𝙄𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙖 𝙙𝙚𝙛𝙚𝙣𝙨𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙤𝙧𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙤𝙧, 𝙬𝙝𝙤 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙚?

I find this question overly simplistic.  In week one, the answer is likely JD.  After 10 weeks of wear and tear, it is probably Drake.  If both have a banged up ankle or knee, it is Drake.  In 5 years when player's athleticism has diminished, it is Drake.  

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Based on what? Daniels game was primarily throwing to the first read and if its not there, take off and run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

𝙄𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙖 𝙙𝙚𝙛𝙚𝙣𝙨𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙤𝙧𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙤𝙧, 𝙬𝙝𝙤 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙢𝙚𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙨𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙚?

I find this question overly simplistic.  In week one, the answer is likely JD.  After 10 weeks of wear and tear, it is probably Drake.  If both have a banged up ankle or knee, it is Drake.  In 5 years when player's athleticism has diminished, it is Drake.  

Mayes 2023 was played on a bad ankle. He hurt it early in the season but I'm not sure which game. Supposedly it got worse in the last few games of the season.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I prefer Maye but if you like Daniels more you should listen to Keim’s latest about their pro days,lol.

Coaches (not Washington) he has talked to see Maye as needing a year. It’s overall very negative about Maye, IMO.

I think Coaches across the league prefer Daniels and GMs prefer Maye-just my speculation for all the discrepancies.

I’ve really wanted to like Daniels because some of the biggest determinants of success (work ethic, character) as well as good arm talent (release, accuracy) he has in spades.

I just hope if he’s he pick the coaches have a plan and scheme to use his running but not have him kill himself running the ball.

I have no doubt that he will learn and master the scheme ASAP.

I still will have to really talk myself into him if he’s the choice, I think Maye’s issues are much easier to correct and his path to success is much easier to see in some sort of air raid style offense.

I said the same that it makes sense for coaches to prefer Daniels. He's probably more day 1 ready because of his mobility, and mobile QBs always give coaches a headache to game plan against.

But scouts/FO people take a more long term view and project what guys can be if they reach their absolute full potential, and if he does Maye is going to light the league up with his arm while also having well above average mobility/athleticism.

31 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

The videos I have seen shows Maye reading defenses pre-snap very well. He also called his own protection and could change the play.

I think post snap he didn’t have a lot of time due to free rushers and his oline losing.

I think overall when accounting for age and experience Maye has great upside there, but Daniels executed their offense to perfection and played well against the Alabama defense.

Maye is outstanding pre snap. Like you said he adjusts protections and reads the coverage and all that.

Its post snap where he sometimes goes helter skelter, mostly because the team around him is trash, the scheme was trash, and he had to carry that team single handily(see how badly UNC looked in the bowl game when he didn't play).

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Based on what? Daniels game was primarily throwing to the first read and if its not there, take off and run.

It wasn't. There are enough breakdowns now from several analysts and ex-QBs that dispel this. 

Keim isn't saying they think he's a fast processor out of thin air

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

It wasn't. There are enough breakdowns now from several analysts and ex-QBs that dispel this 

Ok.

But his scramble % is ridiculously high.

That doesn't scream "guy who constantly manipulates defenses".

Hard to manipulate defenses when you're spending so much time scrambling.

• Like 1

From the games and cutups I've seen, when it comes to manipulating defenses, Daniels can do it, but it was only occasionally. Some of that may not necessarily be on him, but because his first reads were open so often.

• Like 1

Just a thought as we are all trying to make conclusions from body language, facial expressions, dinner dates, etc. between Commie brass and the QB prospects. 

First, one thing I know about DQ is that EVERYBODY who interacts with him seems to really like and get along with him, so his sunny disposition with Maye in those pics could just be his his resting DQ face. Secondly, top 30 player visits, dinners, or any sort of non pro day/combine interactions can be due both to heavy interest in the prospect, but could also be because their evaluations on that prospect are very incomplete so they are tying up loose ends there.

None of the interactions with Maye would lead me to believe in anything definitive, other than he's one of the handful of dudes that are in the running at #2. 

• Like 1

Profootball talk thinks LSU coach Brian Kelly revealed yesterday Washington's plan to take QB Jayden Daniels.

He said, " Daniels is going to get the ball out to the playmakers and make plays.  For Washington."

He also said "Daniels is committed to taking care of himself so that you are not going to have to worry about size or if he doesn't weigh

enough.  Lamar has done a pretty good job with his size.  Mahomes, I wouldn't consider him a giant. "

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I agree. JD is really good at diagnosing defenses pre snap, he was asked to do this almost every play, including the RO/RPO type stuff. He also gets through his progressions fast.