Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Now that Day 2 is in the books, just chuckling a bit that some people thought Tez Walker would actually go in the 1st round. He’s now a 4th rounder at best. 

Maye was throwing to absolute bums. 

Anyway, I’m all aboard the Daniels train now.  

Hail. 

He is gonna be so comfortable in NE. Good for him! Hell they could package some picks and trade with us and maybe even land Tez for him. 

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Now that Day 2 is in the books, just chuckling a bit that some people thought Tez Walker would actually go in the 1st round. He’s now a 4th rounder at best. 

Maye was throwing to absolute bums. 

Anyway, I’m all aboard the Daniels train now.  

Hail. 

And with Pearsall going in the first, that means Jayden played with at least four first round receivers in college.  The discrepancy in surrounding talent was massive and obvious to anyone being intellectually honest.  It also doesn't feel great that we're an NFL team and Jayden is going to be throwing to players here who are substantially worse than his college teammates.

Dotson needs to blow up.  It's time for him to earn his draft status.  Actually that's never going to happen.  We need to be very aggressive in hunting veteran receiver talent.  We need to pull someone big, of the caliber of a Tyreek Hill, Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Brown, DJ Moore.  Wish we had been able to get Mike Evans.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

And with Pearsall going in the first, that means Jayden played with at least four first round receivers in college.  The discrepancy in surrounding talent was massive and obvious to anyone being intellectually honest.  It also doesn't feel great that we're an NFL team and Jayden is going to be throwing to players here who are substantially worse than his college teammates.

Dotson needs to blow up.  It's time for him to earn his draft status.  Actually that's never going to happen.  We need to be very aggressive in hunting veteran receiver talent.  We need to pull someone big, of the caliber of a Tyreek Hill, Stephon Gilmore, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Brown, DJ Moore.  Wish we had been able to get Mike Evans.

I was never a huge fan of taking any of the QBs at the top of the draft, but over the last few weeks I've come around to the liking Maye the best.

This draft and where his teammates are going just sort of solidifies that.

Hope Peters and company are right on Daniels or good enough to put pieces around him to make it work.  They really seem to get need another offensive player maker, unless they see something in our WRs that hasn't seemed to be there.

Edited by PeterMP

The thing I like about Daniels, if he brings the Same Chip he brought to LSU.  He should be fine.

Guy had to ask for Coach Kelly to coach him HARDER!

When do you ever hear a prima donna type QB Ever ask for more?

• Like 1

Thinking more of this draft and it in totality, I wonder if there isn't already a plan to sit Daniels at least the first 1/2 of the season.  The draft makes more sense to me in that case.

2 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Thinking more of this draft and it in totality, I wonder if there isn't already a plan to sit Daniels at least the first 1/2 of the season.  The draft makes more sense to me in that case.

I've thought exactly the same.  There are two things the team may be concerned about.  Identifying blitzes could be one of them.

Not saying JD won't pick it up, but we don't have to throw him to the wolves right away.  We can work him in in spurts and see.

We have the luxury to give him time while others on O gel together.

I don't think that's what happens because I think JD is going to ball out so good that Marriota is going to look like a 3rd Stringer.

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Why does the draft make you think that ? Can’t be about OL, as we never really had much of a shot there, those mid/lower teams in the first also had that OT need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Why does the draft make you think that ? Can’t be about OL, as we never really had much of a shot there, those mid/lower teams in the first also had that OT need.

Then you trade back up into the 1st round to get an OT.  They had 2 2nd picks and they have picks next year.  Giving the rookie QB a reasonable chance to develop and not just get beat up if you plan on playing him as a rookie has to be considered.  Especially when your rookie QB is used to playing in games where the rest of his team is at least as good if not better than the other team.  Daniels this year is going to be playing at a talent deficit on the rest of the team that he's not used to and that alone is going to be a huge adjustment from him.

And not just OT.  It isn't like our guards are great or our skill positions.  The OL we did take to me seems to be a year away from being a really viable NFL starter because he needs to work on his technique.  He might be able to play tackle in the future, but he's not even a good pro ready guard now IMO.  There were more pro ready guards that would have been more likely to help you this year IMO.  Longer term Coleman might be the better/more valuable player but the upside to me isn't enough to offset the need to protect a rookie QB this year if you are going to play him.

McCaffery is an interesting pick, but he's pretty new to being a WR.  Most of his draft profiles talk about work he still needs to do to get better, and you can see it in the tape.  I also think he needs to get stronger which is going to take time.  Between still learning to play WR, needing to get stronger, and adjusting to the NFL, he's going to struggle this year more than some of the other WRs taken around him.  Maybe longer term he's better.  But there isn't enough upside there to offset the loss of giving Daniels a better player this year.

You've got 2 offensive player that I think weren't taken with the idea of helping a rookie QB this year, protecting him, and helping develop him, not moving up to get better players to help him this year, and taking defense with the top 2 picks.  I know you want to draft with the longer term in mind, but you also have to be draft with giving the rookie QB adequate tools protection.

In totality, the picks make more sense if you plan on punting this year and minimizing Daniels playing time.

Edited by PeterMP

If there are any other "nothingtodoers" stuck at home on a Saturday evening, looking for a legal way to burn a few hours, try this bad boy on for size and think to yourself--- that's my quarterback now-- and dream of great things to come...

350 yds passing

200 yds rushing

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Then you trade back up into the 1st round to get an OT.  They had 2 2nd picks and they have picks next year.  Giving the rookie QB a reasonable chance to develop and not just get beat up if you plan on playing him as a rookie has to be considered.  Especially when your rookie QB is used to playing in games where the rest of his team is at least as good if not better than the other team.  Daniels this year is going to be playing at a talent deficit on the rest of the team that he's not used to and that alone is going to be a huge adjustment from him.

And not just OT.  It isn't like our guards are great or our skill positions.  The OL we did take to me seems to be a year away from being a really viable NFL starter because he needs to work on his technique.  He might be able to play tackle in the future, but he's not even a good pro ready guard now IMO.  There were more pro ready guards that would have been more likely to help you this year IMO.  Longer term Coleman might be the better/more valuable player but the upside to me isn't enough to offset the need to protect a rookie QB this year if you are going to play him.

McCaffery is an interesting pick, but he's pretty new to being a WR.  Most of his draft profiles talk about work he still needs to do to get better, and you can see it in the tape.  I also think he needs to get stronger which is going to take time.  Between still learning to play WR, needing to get stronger, and adjusting to the NFL, he's going to struggle this year more than some of the other WRs taken around him.  Maybe longer term he's better.  But there isn't enough upside there to offset the loss of giving Daniels a better player this year.

You've got 2 offensive player that I think weren't taken with the idea of helping a rookie QB this year, protecting him, and helping develop him, not moving up to get better players to help him this year, and taking defense with the top 2 picks.  I know you want to draft with the longer term in mind, but you also have to be draft with giving the rookie QB adequate tools protection.

In totality, the picks make more sense if you plan on punting this year and minimizing Daniels playing time.

I had a rage post yesterday with similar thoughts, draft feels like the FO is treating next year as a punt.  If that is indeed the case, I'm actually fine with it given the rebuild that is clearly necessary.  I do think the later second round picks could have been spent on OTs.  Kingsley, Rosengarten, and Paul went within 10 picks (or so) of both those picks, obviously the NFL felt those guys were worthy in that range.  Have to concede trust to the decision makers in our FO, perhaps they didn't feel that same or believed they were selecting superior prospects.

Sam "Adonis" Hartman, a rare breed,  bearded, chiseled body, strong jaw, GQ looks, a man that no woman can resist and that every man wants to be, introducing our newest addition to the qb room...

"... a fearless natural gunslinger... with moxie and tight window anticipation...reminds us of Ryan Fitzpatrick."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 5

I'm assuming one of Fromm or Driskell gets cut soon. Can't see taking 5 QBs to camp. I'm guessing Fromm gets the axe, though I feel he's better than Driskell

Edited by Jericho

On 4/27/2024 at 6:51 PM, Whiskeypeet said:

I had a rage post yesterday with similar thoughts, draft feels like the FO is treating next year as a punt.  If that is indeed the case, I'm actually fine with it given the rebuild that is clearly necessary.  I do think the later second round picks could have been spent on OTs.  Kingsley, Rosengarten, and Paul went within 10 picks (or so) of both those picks, obviously the NFL felt those guys were worthy in that range.  Have to concede trust to the decision makers in our FO, perhaps they didn't feel that same or believed they were selecting superior prospects.

people are also forgetting free agency up until this point. yeah, the tackle situation is still not good, but they brought in some help to rebuild the interior of the line.

On 4/26/2024 at 12:37 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Most obnoxious fans on the planet. 

Philly's says "**** you, asshole. I'll kick your ****ing ass for daring to show your face at a game your team is playing in. How dare you ****ing wear that ****ing jersey! **** you!"

On 4/27/2024 at 5:40 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

If there are any other "nothingtodoers" stuck at home on a Saturday evening, looking for a legal way to burn a few hours, try this bad boy on for size and think to yourself--- that's my quarterback now-- and dream of great things to come..

That was the his best answer to Scott Abraham at his presser.

"Can you talk about what stealing the soul of a defense looks like?"
"2023 Florida-LSU game." (laughter)
"Can you elaborate?"

"Just put on the tape." (more laughter)

That was an insane game. Insane. 

• Thumb up 1

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman
50 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

No one cares.

This is a bad post.

Stop making bad posts.

Thank you.

Yet you responded, and thankfully so. Otherwise it wouldn't have garnered two critical "laughing" reactions.

On 4/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, The Consigliere said:

The problem is, while they were pretending they were the unluckiest fans on earth because the Red Sox lost in '86, and the Pats were always garbage, they had the Celtics winning a bazillion titles, and the Burins winning or contending every decade...they were spoiled rotten in multiple sports and never were an unlucky city, Cleveland, now that is an unlucky city. Boston is just a bunch of self-indulgent, entitled, neurotic NY relationship having --- hats. I thought NY fans were bad enough, but Boston fans might have them trumped. 

Nice!!

Seems like the type of sour grapes Ed Cooley would say after $2 Beer Night, which has been turned into a (since outdated...twice) slogan. Besides, isn't this a football board? The fortune of other area franchises is inconsequential. The post indicated a desire for the Patriots to experience decades of turmoil. I merely pointed out that they already had.

Brady and Belichick certainly spoiled Pats fans, but so what? One could say that about any dynasty. The Patriots are not rivals, neither Brady nor Belichick are there any longer, and they haven't been better than mediocre in 4 years. Again, who cares? The 1st Cooke/Casserly/Gibbs era spoiled Washington, which is now emerging from a 24-year ebb. Hopefully the Harris group, Peters, and Quinn can turn it around again and have a nice run. Enjoy it, be entertained, or else occupy your down-time with something else, but this level of schadenfreude only makes you come off like a Giants fan. I'd advise against being like a Giants fan.

Now all that being said, I'm on to draft analysis.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:44 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

Sam "Adonis" Hartman, a rare breed,  bearded, chiseled body, strong jaw, GQ looks, a man that no woman can resist and that every man wants to be, introducing our newest addition to the qb room...

"... a fearless natural gunslinger... with moxie and tight window anticipation...reminds us of Ryan Fitzpatrick."

He is like a better looking Sam Howell .. score!

On 4/27/2024 at 12:04 PM, PeterMP said:

On 4/27/2024 at 6:51 PM, Whiskeypeet said:

Given their free agent signings, I think this season is intended to be a foundation year, not necessarily a punt. They have to change the culture and establish a vision. I'm not crazy about Mariota on the field, but if they have to protect Daniels for a handful of games while getting their house in order, so be it. 

Edited by CTskins