Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He's the Gen Z QB. He may be great. He may suck. But he'll be representative of the new generation either way.

I like that Maye's social media is pretty boring. Its like 95% football highlights with a few pics of him and his girlfriend and of his friends. No branding or marketing or any of that crap.

• Like 4

It still comes down to consistently reading NFL defenses pre and post snap after they adjust throughout the season.  Ability to adjust protection and just plain make the right reads on a consistent basis.  To me that is the hardest thing to determine from an evaluation standpoint.  I don't envy our front office to determine that.

Maye and/or Daniels could turn out to be a Zach Wilson or not.

• Like 5

Just now, Fred Jones said:

It still comes down to consistently reading NFL defenses pre and post snap after they adjust throughout the season.  Ability to adjust protection and just plain make the right reads on a consistent basis.  To me that is the hardest thing to determine from an evaluation standpoint.  I don't envy our front office to determine that.

Maye and/or Daniels could turn out to be a Zach Wilson or not.

Maye is actually already doing all the pre snap stuff. He adjusted protection and made reads and all that pre snap.

His issue was post snap he played hero ball too much and would occasionally miss throws, but there is no issue with his processing ability.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It always does with QB prospects.  But Drake is head and shoulders more talented than the other two.  He's one of the best QB prospects of the past ten years and we are incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to draft him.

Mmhmm. I don’t disagree.

I also wouldn’t disagree if Maye wasn’t in the class and we had a shot at Daniels. Or if neither was in it and we had a shot at McCarthy. This is a good situation to be in. And yes, I agree, Maye’s physical traits are among the best to ever be in a draft at QB.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Highly praised by the, shall we say, ever flexible Dan Orlovsky 😄

Am traveling so i missed it but will catch it soon. Ironic them mentioning his receivers dropped some. Apt for Maye as to last season.

So Orlovsky has gone from Maye is better than Caleb. Now its Jayden better thsn Caleb? What next from him, Rattler better than Caleb?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Am traveling so i missed it but will catch it soon. Ironic them mentioning his receivers dropped some. Apt for Maye as to last season.

So Orlovsky has gone from Maye is better tgan Caleb. Now its Jayden better thsn Caleb? What next from him, Rattler better than Caleb?

I think it's "Social media clicks and views are better than any of them"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think it's "Social media clicks and views are better than any of them"

Yeah and if you say any one of them is better than Caleb you’ll get 500 retweets and 50 appearances on ESPN to talk about it 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I’m still hopeful we find a way to land him. He would make it “cool” to be a commanders fan for the younger generation. And if he plays well, that’ll be good enough to win us older guys over. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, illone said:

Actual footage of Orlovsky warming up for TV

giphy.gif

Time for all of the bobblehead media to tell us how they were right is coming soon. Clowns ALL OF THEM. 

31 minutes ago, illone said:

What do you mean by "lump of clay"?

Most natural traits....Really didnt think that was a weird term....

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Can people please make up their minds, are the Commanders getting Josh Allen 2.0, or Andrew Luck 2.0, we need to know:

He’s a combination of the best traits of both… Plus the oversized feet of Brandon Banks.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Can people please make up their minds, are the Commanders getting Josh Allen 2.0, or Andrew Luck 2.0, we need to know:

Andrew Luck 2.0 is exactly what I want them to  be calling the kid lol 

New article from NFL.com discusses Maye and Penix:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-what-we-learned-from-north-carolina-washington-pro-days

2024 NFL Draft: What We Learned from North Carolina, Washington pro days

Published: Mar 28, 2024 at 07:15 PM

Maye started out his script at a breakneck pace, firing passes at a far quicker rate than the other quarterback pro days we've seen this offseason. There were a few shorter and intermediate misses; the most concerning ones were two overthrows on out routes in the first half of the session.

Once Maye stretched things out, he shined. The arm talent shouldn't be in question. If it was for anyone heading into today, those can now be dismissed. Maye hit on a huge "go" ball and connected beautifully with wide receiver Devontez Walker on a post route that traveled at least 60 yards in the air.

It appeared Maye veered slightly from his original script. When he missed on a pass, or there was a drop, he often redid the same route. With six or seven missed connections by my count, that pushed a 70-throw script closer to 80 passes on the day by the time Maye shortened the field and moved to the red zone to finish up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Either one would make Washington fans the happiest they’ve been in over 30 years

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Dude is mythical, really. I know I have been kidding around but his pro day went from 60 throws to 70. Now 80. And y’all really got me feeling like if Josh Allen was feed a steady diet if Andrew Luck he would digivolve into Drake Maye. Post snap reads on point. Big play maker by nature. Dude is even sneaky athletic. What else could you want 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude is mythical, really. I know I have been kidding around but his pro day went from 60 throws to 70. Now 80. And y’all really got me feeling like if Josh Allen was feed a steady diet if Andrew Luck he would digivolve into Drake Maye. Post snap reads on point. Big play maker by nature. Dude is even sneaky athletic. What else could you want 

A lunch pail guy. A gym rat... real student of the game

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Pretty sure this is the first 🏆 emoji I’ve ever given out.

btw, I thought my post above would have you rolling.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thanks 1

Patriots.com writer Lazar was impressed with Maye:

https://www.patriots.com/news/lazar-s-pro-day-tour-inside-drake-maye-s-showcase-and-more-patriots-tidbits-from-north-carolina-s-pro-day

Lazar's Pro Day Tour: Inside Drake Maye's Showcase and More Patriots Tidbits From North Carolina's Pro Day

The highly coveted prospect from North Carolina solidified himself as one of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft class on Thursday. 

Mar 28, 2024 at 08:20 PM

[excerpt]

Maye can flat-out spin it, and the degree of difficulty far exceeded what we saw in Baton Rouge a day earlier from Daniels. That's not to say the reigning Heisman Trophy did poorly or that Maye was perfect because the UNC quarterback had two erratic misses on deep outs early. However, Maye's coaches were simulating pressure by "blitzing" him to move him off his spot, forcing him to throw off-platform, adding as much of a challenge as possible in this setting to stay on time and throw accurately.

Team executives and coaches were also impressed by the workout. Along with the Patriots top decision-makers, Commanders head coach Dan Quinn and general manager Adam Peters stood next to head coach Jerod Mayo and director of scouting Eliot Wolf for the entire session. It was almost like those four men knew Maye wasn't making it past them.

[excerpt]

After watching him hit go-to receiver Tez Walker in stride on a 65-yard bomb, my immediate thought was, "How do the Commanders pass on this guy at No. 2 overall?" Washington, who controls the Patriots destiny in this draft, could fall in love with Daniels' dual-threat ability. But when it comes to who has more clubs in their bag, there's no question that Maye brings a much bigger repertoire of throws to the table as a pure passer. 

[excerpt]

Another insightful conversation that took place before Maye's throwing session was with current Tar Heels offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. 

Lindsey took over as the OC under head coach Mack Brown last season. Although they kept many of the same offensive elements, Lindsey did tweak some things with Maye. Mainly, the coaching staff put more on Maye's plate pre-snap to handle protections and alerts, which Lindsey said Maye has the football IQ to handle in the NFL. 

The other significant change could explain one of the biggest knocks on Maye as a prospect. Before his arrival, Maye was backpedaling in his drop-backs rather than shuffling his feet under the old regime. Lindsey's staff changed that to a more pro-style approach, so it was a transition for Maye, who admittedly has unsettled feet at times in the pocket.

"For him, it was how can we fix our footwork? His drop-back game, they were a backpedal drop-back team the year before I got here. We are more traditional," Lindsey said. "It was one of those things that was different for him, and I thought he did a nice job of that."

"He was very coachable. The best thing about him is the off-the-field stuff, the intangibles. We all know he's a talented guy, but those are the things that really stood out to me." 

Lindsey also mentioned the Tar Heels' current offense isn't what he'd describe as an air raid system, pointing to the heavier personnel groupings, seven-man protections, and Maye having the controls at the line of scrimmage, which isn't something most air raid teams do regularly. 

The possibility that Maye simply needs more experience using pro-style footwork in his drop-backs rather than it being a bigger concern about his NFL projection was good to hear. 

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

If I had to guess, he's probably talking about age (younger than Daniels) and arm (bigger arm than McCarthy).

Could also mean coachable? Moldable?

I'd agree he can throw it farther than McCarthy, but JJ has a higher completion %, and better TD/Int ratio. I'd argue JJ has the better arm due to those stats, and he did wing it 60 yards at his pro day, but he wasnt asked to bomb it down the field a lot during games.

Age is overrated, but I do like that JJ is younger with better overall arm talent.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

It always does with QB prospects.  But Drake is head and shoulders more talented than the other two.  He's one of the best QB prospects of the past ten years and we are incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to draft him.

This right here. Dont kid yourselves. There are people BEGGING to get up to 2 right now. Not gonna happen. Maye will be slinging balls all over Fedex or whatever that cesspool will be called for the next couple of years. Thank Christ Ron was as awful as he was. 

• Like 3