Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right now am guessing the McCarthy stuff is BS in the context of this team.   I'll take it seriously when Keim takes it seriously and maybe it happens but it hasn't yet as far as I can tell.

The way I see this argument framed here is some say on this thread its a no brainer to run with Maye or its no brainer to run with Daniels highlighting that people's favorite attributes about said QB are the correct attributes to care about.  But it feels like apples to oranges.  Both QBs are intriguing for different reasons.

While I personally am in the Maye camp.  I get why some in the league doesn't see this discussion as a no brainer.  Keim seems to be leaning that they are more likely to go with Daniels because when he asked coaches around the league who they like better Daniels has a distinct edge.  But he also said that's not the Washington coaches who are more close to the vest about this.  And they are still digesting this.  So am gathering maybe in a week or two after they digest it more maybe something leaks.

But this team is so tight with keeping things in house we might not know until they actually pick the player.

For me right now I prefer Maye, half a peg over Daniels and a full peg over McCarthy,  I like McCarthy more than most, I touted him early during the college season but I'd be slightly dissappointed if they took him at #2 but after listening to much yesterday I am not too worried they take him.  I think this is VERY likely a 2 horse race.

I agree with you. Picking JJ would be disappointing. If they really like him, trade down.

I like the comparison of Luck and Josh Allen in regards to Drake on one of the podcasts. I think that we should not over think this. Maye, imo, gives us everything we need in a qb. I don't care so much about some of the issues with Drake that we saw in college as I believe they are fixable. I saw the footage of him on his pro day and that is all I needed to confirm he is the One.

I see the hype behind Daniel's. I would also be okay with him but not JJ. Many analysts have him,  like DJ, much lower. 

• Like 1

Slight edge with fans for Maye with none for McCarthy 

3 minutes ago, bonhommelemec said:

I agree with you. Picking JJ would be disappointing. If they really like him, trade down.

I like the comparison of Luck and Josh Allen in regards to Drake on one of the podcasts. I think that we should not over think this. Maye, imo, gives us everything we need in a qb. I don't care so much about some of the issues with Drake that we saw in college as I believe they are fixable. I saw the footage of him on his pro day and that is all I needed to confirm he is the One.

I see the hype behind Daniel's. I would also be okay with him but not JJ. Many analysts have him,  like DJ, much lower. 

Keim has suggested if its McCarthy it would likely be in a trade down vs at 2 

36 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

liar-anakin.gif

I know, though it's well hidden beneath a surface facade of bitternes, anger, and despair, that within you lies an intelligent, compassionate, and rational being, capable of magnificent things. 

It's always your choices that determine what you will become.

"What we feed, grows within us."

I wish you true peace in your journey.

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

How concerning is Daniels elbow?

photo-of-jayden-daniels-elbow-going-viral-ahead-of-2024-nfl-v0-pTV0S18QxEPuC-J_PyPb2n1I3wNs_Ema8P6iut65vMU.jpg?auto=webp&s=05f058e51f54121e5e6963401d040d9a475da81f

There were some comments from "Doctors" on twitter I saw that explained it and made it sound like it wasn't a major, or even really a minor concern.  Still though... in general his physical presence has to be a concern.  How long can he last?  How much bigger can/will he get?

Edited by Idaho fan

If we pick JD, I will support the pick, but will feel the same as I did last year when we picked stick thin Forbes over Gonzalez.

Also, to the JD supporters, how good do you think Drake would look if stayed in college, transferred to LSU and played there for two seasons?  And would JD have survived last season playing for the Tar Heals?

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So confused now. Thought I wanted Maye now reading how JD goes through progressions and reads disguised defenses I don’t know.  I just have to find comfort in the fact I am woefully inadequate to make this decision and trust in our new front office. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

So confused now. Thought I wanted Maye now reading how JD goes through progressions and reads disguised defenses I don’t know.  I just have to find comfort in the fact I am woefully inadequate to make this decision and trust in our new front office. 

You must pick a side and then argue with anyone who disagrees.  You have to stick with that decision - no waffling.  Then depending on the way the team actually goes you can claim it was what you wanted the entire time.  That my friend is how we do things round here.

• Haha 7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Blanka said:

The mood of how the local guys talk JD in comparison to Drake is interesting. 

I’m listening to Keim’s Maye pro day pod now and it’s just different to the pod the day before. When Maye’s flaws are spoken on there’s more of an hesitation to the idea it gets better. Meanwhile with Jayden every flaw is met with more of confidence it can get better. Or person x said it can get better. It’s spoken more matter of fact. 

JP I take it for what it’s worth he clearly states he’s a JD guy. His angle makes sense. Keim generally never shows a personal lean. So I wonder where it’s coming from. I do believe they’re not leaking anything especially at the top but it is something only becoming more noticeable.

I live in New England where it’s pretty much the same 2 QB’s debated. The pros and cons seems more even when I just happen to catch Patriots reporters doing spots on sports radio or whatnot. 

Feels like DC media has a quiet confidence with Jayden while saying they don’t know anything as well. It’s just strange imo.

Yeah Keim at the moment has made it clear that while hes heard good things about both QBs, more coaches he talks to prefer Jayden so hes been riding on those comments 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Keim at the moment has made it clear that while hes heard good things about both QBs, more coaches he talks to prefer Jayden so hes been riding on those comments 

Coaches always go for the sugar high of the quick fix, which a running qb almost always is. Hopefully Peters can look at the bigger of what can Maye be in year 3 vs Jayden. Particularly if the hits on his undersized frame start adding up. I’m not even talking a catastrophic injury, just thinking back to Mariota as a young player and how always seemed to get dinged up every year and it eventually sapped a lot of his explosiveness. Then what?

• Like 1

And my true analysis of the situation... Williams is the best talent of the group but he's going to Chicago so no point in discussing. The strengths of both Daniels and Maye that are repeatedly pointed out are very real as are many of the criticisms. Whoever we draft, we are getting an excellent prospect that needs to be developed. Either one would have busted here under the previous leadership.

I think Daniels's flaws that you see might potentially be easier to fix but I think you might uncover some new flaws with him in the pros that you've not seen before. I also think that he has significantly higher potential to bust which is why I'm guessing they go with Drake. There are quite a few successful quarterbacks in the league that are in the same mold as Drake. He really is the prototype in that sense. There's been a ****load of guys drafted high that play with JD's style and most of them have been disasters. That along with his proclivity to take off running, some of the hits he takes when he does, and his age I think will be the deciding factors.

Of course, if our staff really, really values the QB's ability to run then all bets are off.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, rockluc said:

Coaches always go for the sugar high of the quick fix, which a running qb almost always is. Hopefully Peters can look at the bigger of what can Maye be in year 3 vs Jayden. Particularly if the hits on his undersized frame start adding up. I’m not even talking a catastrophic injury, just thinking back to Mariota as a young player and how always seemed to get dinged up every year and it eventually sapped a lot of his explosiveness. Then what?

I agree with you on Maye... but for those comparing JD to Lamar, Lamar hasn't lost much if anything.  I am in the Maye camp but have to admit there is a part of JDs game that is really really enticing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I agree with you on Maye... but for those comparing JD to Lamar, Lamar hasn't lost much if anything.  I am in the Maye camp but have to admit there is a part of JDs game that is really really enticing. 

Lamar has an almost supernatural ability to sense and avoid contact. He reminds me of Marvin Harrison in that regard. I have not seen that same sense of self preservation from JD who seems to welcome contact sometimes. 

Edited by rockluc
  • Like 2

There's a lot to like about JD but I just always return to his size and my durability concerns.

The game is different from Cunningham's era.  It's faster.  We have more rules to protect players, both QBs and more generally, but part of the reason we need that is because sports science and medicine has evolved.  Guys are faster and hit harder than ever.

Looking at game totals it looks like 10 QBs started 17 games.  5 started 16, 5 more started 15.  That suggests that you're getting a full or closs to full season roughly 2/3rds of the time.  The rest of the 3rd goes from 13 games all the way down in groups of 2 and 3.

Burrow 10 games.  Herbert 13.  Murray 8 games.  Watson 6.  Cousins 8.  Jones 6.  Rodgers 1.  Richardson 4.

Injuries can happen to anyone but build and physics will help us project longevity.

I want to get over it but I can't.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Pretty concerning to me. 

His running truly is impressive, but his lack of anticipation on throws is concerning. Some of those would have been interceptions in the NFL instead of incompletions. DBs will jump those routes all day long if you wait until the receiver is open when it's a pass that should be thrown before he breaks.

Also pulling his eyes down so fast and running instead of looking for a receiver downfield. Yes, it worked out for him, but it still exposes him to more hits and many times leaves bigger plays on the field.

• Like 3