Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On 3/28/2024 at 2:57 PM, DogofWar1 said:

I remember someone mentioning how we'd be picking like 6 or something bc we'd win a game down the stretch we shouldn't and I never like to root for anything other than our team to win but sometimes you gotta lose to win.

Some of us have memories that go back as far as Week 16 1988, when the Packers won in an upset, the Cowboys lost, and as a result, the Cowboys got Troy Aikman, and the Packers got Tony Mandarich. 

When you suck, you need to lose, period, from the second we were 4-5, and I was perusing that schedule, 3 games scared me: the SF and Dallas games, because they might not need the games for playoff slotting, and the Jets game because the Jets suck. People need to come to terms with the reality that sometimes losing is necessary. It would not have helped during the '21 season, the '22 QB class sucked, but it sure as hell would help in '19, '20, '22 and '23, and thankfully we finally got it right in '23. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Some of us have memories that go back as far as Week 16 1988, when the Packers won in an upset, the Cowboys lost, and as a result, the Cowboys got Troy Aikman, and the Packers got Tony Mandarich. 

When you suck, you need to lose, period, from the second we were 4-5, and I was perusing that schedule, 3 games scared me: the SF and Dallas games, because they might not need the games for playoff slotting, and the Jets game because the Jets suck. People need to come to terms with the reality that sometimes losing is necessary. It would not have helped during the '21 season, the '22 QB class sucked, but it sure as hell would help in '19, '20, '22 and '23, and thankfully we finally got it right in '23. 

"When you suck, you need to lose, period..."

Agreed, and that brings up an interesting dilemma debated by physicists for centuries.

Everyone's familiar with Isaac Newton's famous utterance when he was first hit on the head with an apple, "Ouch, I can't win, for losing-- damn you, gravity!"

Well, up until this past season the Commanders, despite years of horrendous play, quite literally, "Couldn't lose, for winning".

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Everyone's familiar with Isaac Newton's famous utterance when he was first hit on the head with an apple, "Ouch, I can't win, for losing-- damn you gravity!"

You threw that apple at him didn't you? :rofl89:

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dunfer said:

Who would Snyder want?

We have no idea how to grade qbs, but we may be able to figure out who Dan Snyder would want and improve our odds by picking somebody else

His first round QB picks were Ramsey, Campbell, RG3 and Haskins. He probably had the most fun ever in 2012. Sold a ton of jerseys, sponsorships and tickets. He would 100% draft skinnier RG3. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reddick i take with a grain of salt but in this he ends up touting all three guys

Yeah, I've had a tough time with Reddick since 2019 with all the Haskins hype.

It was actually good to hear some of the positives he threw out on Williams

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, HOF44 said:

So confused now. Thought I wanted Maye now reading how JD goes through progressions and reads disguised defenses I don’t know.  I just have to find comfort in the fact I am woefully inadequate to make this decision and trust in our new front office. 

When the season ended, I wanted Drake Maye.  Several weeks later, I changed my mind to Jayden Daniels.  After hearing all the negativity of both QBs, I didn't want either guy.  As of today, I'm back to wanting Jayden Daniels.  I simply find myself hoping Washington takes him at #2.  I believe he will end up being the best QB in this draft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Going Commando said:

OK, at first I thought the elbow thing was just some sort of weird photo editing issue, but that is the second image I've seen where it looks ****ed up.  Truly, what is going on with his elbow?

Eww it is kinda messed up in that one too isn’t it 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reddick i take with a grain of salt but in this he ends up touting all three guys

I'm not sold on Riddick as a talent evaluator... that said, there are enough real scouts in all three camps that it gives me hope that they all have the raw materials to develop with good coaching.

Riddick was in on Haskins, he didn't work out.  I'm not convinced he would have worked out with another team, but we have to be at least open to the possibility that our staff is most to blame for how it turned out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

When the season ended, I wanted Drake Maye.  Several weeks later, I changed my mind to Jayden Daniels.  After hearing all the negativity of both QBs, I didn't want either guy.  As of today, I'm back to wanting Jayden Daniels.  I simply find myself hoping Washington takes him at #2.  I believe he will end up being the best QB in this draft.

I'm in a very similar place.

I've gone back and forth all off season. Now that they've finished their pro days I think I'm even more deadlocked than before.

Focusing only on the positives of both players:

I can really visualize, as a best case scenario, Big Drake and that huge cannon of his absolutely destroying defenses with ease.

On the other hand,  if Jayden maximizes his potential he will terrify and discombobulate defenses with both his arm and his legs.

I really love them both.

The one thing that scares me, no matter who we take, is that the other guy is the one who reaches his potential, for another team, while our guy turns into a complete bust.

I'm just glad that we've finally got a strong team of qualified, hard working, people who will deliberate on this decision, and make the final call. 🤞 

• Like 7

If I could find this tweeter in real life I would tell them/they that this is a lazy comparison. RG3 NEVER ran a pro offense and even ended his NFL career with less than half of the processing speed of JD today

I would also tell him that taking the time to make calculations for having an “NFL Oline” and WRs but not making mention of the NFL defenses he is playing (very well) against shows his bias. 

If only I could fine this tweeter! 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 14

I definitely wouldn’t want to be in Peters shoes come draft night.  No matter who they pick there is always going to be the back and forth questioning is he ___________ gonna become what we think he can become.  I think whomever they take it will be on the basis of their abilities and the coaching and scheme of Kingsbury and Co.  

As a fan whoever it is I will be fired up and will have my reasons for thinking they will become the QB we’ve needed and have been looking for now for what seems to be forever, that’s just what we do as fans, I remember my excitement for Haskins, my excitement for Wentz, my excitement for Howell and already my excitement for a rookie being drafted.

Edited by Command The 414
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

We all know Haskins was a Snyder pick. The kid had a poor attitude and work ethic from day one. I don’t think he would have worked out with any team. Even after he got traded, the work ethic was questioned. The pick was doomed to fail from the start. At least Daniels and Maye seem to really put in the work to continually improve themselves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

If I could find this tweeter in real life I would tell them/they that this is a lazy comparison. RG3 NEVER ran a pro offense and even ended his NFL career with less than half of the professing speed of JD today

I would also tell him that taking the time to make calculations for having an “NFL Oline” and WRs but not making mention of the NFL defenses he is playing (very well) against shows his bias. 

If only I could fine this tweeter! 

"If only I could find this tweeter (@SoCalRedskins)! "

I wish you could.

The tweeter certainly seems like a reasonable, level headed individual, not someone prone to hyperbole or hysterics.

I'm certain this person would calmly listen to your argument and after a brief period of contemplation,  he would have a sensible, well reasoned, response.

Then the two of you would slowly walk away into the sunset together, hand in hand, having found common ground,  and the true meaning of brotherhood.

And peace shall reign on this earth...

• Haha 10

I'm curious as to how much the leadership style will play into the decision. From what I've seen and read, Maye is a much more vocal and outgoing kind of leader, while Daniels is more of a quiet kind of guy who takes the "lead by example" path.

It seems like GMAP and DQ are a bit more into the vocal and rah rah type, but you never know.

Just now, mistertim said:

I'm curious as to how much the leadership style will play into the decision. From what I've seen and read, Maye is a much more vocal and outgoing kind of leader, while Daniels is more of a quiet kind of guy who takes the "lead by example" path.

It seems like GMAP and DQ are a bit more into the vocal and rah rah type, but you never know.

They are def more into Maye’s personality. And with him being younger I think he probably will take to coaching in that area better. Like, I can see him becoming a little DQ (which would be great). 

45 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I'm not sold on Riddick as a talent evaluator... that said, there are enough real scouts in all three camps that it gives me hope that they all have the raw materials to develop with good coaching.

Riddick was in on Haskins, he didn't work out.  I'm not convinced he would have worked out with another team, but we have to be at least open to the possibility that our staff is most to blame for how it turned out.

I liked Haskins coming out. Didn’t want us to trade up for him but I was OK we took him. He had the tools.

He played well late his rookie year when O’Connell was given the keys to the offense. I wanted us to keep KOC as OC and thought Haskins had a chance. I totally got why we passed on QBs that next draft. 

Didnt work out. In hindsight what doomed Haskins was between his ears - he just wasn’t wired to want to be great and to put the work in to be a great NFL QB. It’s that ‘want to’ and the desire that drives guys to work incredibly hard and demand that from everyone around them that will determine which, if any, of the QBs in this draft become great.

Both Maye and Daniels have the skill set to be All Pros. Figuring out what’s between their ears is key.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1