Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

57 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

How concerning is Daniels elbow?

photo-of-jayden-daniels-elbow-going-viral-ahead-of-2024-nfl-v0-pTV0S18QxEPuC-J_PyPb2n1I3wNs_Ema8P6iut65vMU.jpg?auto=webp&s=05f058e51f54121e5e6963401d040d9a475da81f

That has got to be photoshoped. Two different shades of skin and a bicep and tricep that look alien like and unattached to the forearm. Am I the only one that sees this as a bad photo doctoring? 

Edited by rumplestilskin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

That has got to be photoshoped. Two different shades of skin and a bicep and tricep that look alien like and unattached to the forearm. Am I the only one that sees this as a bad photo doctoring? 

Yes, I posited that it’s an artifact from AI upscaling used to sharpen a blurry still, or something. Some lazy editor used the tools but didn’t check the resulting work well enough before publishing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

You must pick a side and then argue with anyone who disagrees.  You have to stick with that decision - no waffling.  Then depending on the way the team actually goes you can claim it was what you wanted the entire time.  That my friend is how we do things round here.

Don’t forget you have to throw in a few “I don’t care who we pick at QB, I’ll cheer for them regardless” posts. Just in case they work out.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of said:

My question would be where did he show that? Based on advanced metrics (granted there was an error in third down so who knows anymore) he doesn't demonstrate that at all. How can he if he's taking off. Guys who read defenses and manipulate defenders scramble to throw the ball, not take off and run.

4 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

The videos I have seen shows Maye reading defenses pre-snap very well. He also called his own protection and could change the play.

I think post snap he didn’t have a lot of time due to free rushers and his oline losing.

I think overall when accounting for age and experience Maye has great upside there, but Daniels executed their offense to perfection and played well against the Alabama defense.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Based on what? Daniels game was primarily throwing to the first read and if its not there, take off and run.

3 hours ago, alaroche04 said:

If by processing, you mean "Malik and Brian aren't open enough for my liking...ehhh let me run" then yea, Daniels is a fast processor.

I don't know what some of you have been watching so if you can provide evidence of this propensity to only throw to his first read or wide open targets I would love to see it. 

I'm going to post a few videos of Chase Daniels breaking down his film. There are many more people doing this, and none of them I would consider reigning experts on the matter. But lots of them actually played QB in the NFL which gives me much more faith in their opinions than supposed advanced metrics or run % or anything like that. Not saying your numbers don't have value, but I'm going to post video of him going through his reads, making decisions at the line, checking into plays because he already read the defense post snap so his first read WAS open....stuff like that. I'm taking the time to do all of this because yall keep making the same arguments that, judging by these videos, are false. So if you want to keep making the same argument, please help me refute this stuff as I cannot without your help. If you keep making the same arguments after this without helping me understand why, I'm going to assume you just don't know what you are talking about and reply to your posts with that in mind. 

Chase Daniels

3rd and 10 - Cover Zero - Check into winning play pre snap (not first read and run)

https://youtu.be/XJzs9hksGSE?t=86

Simple play. Nothing special. Why then do i bring this up? Because there are multiple of you here saying that he makes one read and then runs. This is him understanding they are in a bad play against this defense, checking into a good play for this defense, and then executing. His first read is open BECAUSE he can read the defense and understands how to beat it. Again, simple. Most of them can do this. But he is more than just a running QB and if we are going to have the discussion, we should be smarter than that

"The way he gets through his progressions, in my opinion, is some of the best I have seen at the college level" "One of the most accurate college players in all of football" 

https://youtu.be/XJzs9hksGSE?t=266

Again. Post snap he already knew his first read was dead. He didn't even look. Went to 2 cause he knew where the opening was. And he threw it where there could be YAC. Its a good play. 

"Getting to his third progression....misses open read.....going through progressions too fast" "Elite processor" 

https://youtu.be/XJzs9hksGSE?t=838

His open man was his third progression and he didn't read it. Bad play. But then the wheels make up for it. Point is he read the play, he made a mistake, he still won. He didnt just run. Thats not reality. Did not need to run a 40 at his pro day lol 

"5th progression" 

https://youtu.be/XJzs9hksGSE?t=983

Held it. Good pocket movement. Didn't take off. Went through progressions and made a play with his arm. Again....1 read and run is just a lie at this point. You have to prove it to me. 

"What do you know....5th progression"

https://youtu.be/XJzs9hksGSE?t=1283

Again. You can see him read the entire field. He sat there, knew what he was looking at, made time in the pocket with small movements, and then made the play on time and in rhythm. You cant tell me he doesn't go through his progressions. He clearly does. 

Full Video

This is just Chase. There are multiple videos of other pro QBs going through the plays for you and showing you he reads plays really well. He is not perfect, Kurt Warner is really good at telling you what he is terrible at lol. But he breaks down every play so you get good with the bad. More good, obviously. You are going to have to prove to me that he is only reading one play and only throwing to wide open guys. Your stats mean nothing to me cause they don't line up with the film on the dude. They just don't. No one who is watching the film is seriously calling him a 1 read and run guy. I specifically looked for this criticism today (no work was done, sorry Mr. President) and no one is making it but fans. No one. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumb up 2

We all know this but I just wanted to put it down as a reminder.

On one of those Sirius NFL talk shows yesterday, someone (I think it was some guy who at one time coached or GM'd for the Patriots) flat out said something like:

"My advice is don't believe anything you hear about a player from league sources from pro day until the night before the draft.

We would never say anything about our true intentions to even our most trusted sources.

Now what we would do is lead them to believe something false in the hopes it would get out into the echo chamber and lead another team to miscalculate our intentions and make an error."

Just something to keep in mind and keep those of you close to being involuntarily committed to an asylum from going over the edge.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

So confused now. Thought I wanted Maye now reading how JD goes through progressions and reads disguised defenses I don’t know.  I just have to find comfort in the fact I am woefully inadequate to make this decision and trust in our new front office. 

The truth is both are good and whoever the Quinn and the Adams think best fits their vision is who we want. We are in the best position possible for us to actually get a guy. I think JD is just a flat out better QB right now. But I also think Maye has so much potential if you can teach him to do all the things correctly, he can be better than anyone else in this draft just from pure physical talent. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The truth is both are good and whoever the Quinn and the Adams think best fits their vision is who we want. We are in the best position possible for us to actually get a guy. I think JD is just a flat out better QB right now. But I also think Maye has so much potential if you can teach him to do all the things correctly, he can be better than anyone else in this draft just from pure physical talent. 

Both can read defenses. Both will sometimes manipulate defenders with their eyes, though IMO Maye does it a bit more...however, as I said earlier, that may have less to do with Daniels and more to do with his 1st reads getting open often.

I agree that Daniels is more polished right now, but that's something not unexpected when comparing a 5 year starter to a 2 year starter. I like Daniels, he's fun to watch, but for us I prefer Maye because I think he has more overall upside along with the potential for a longer career due to a bigger frame and hopefully taking way less hits.

• Like 2

Just now, mistertim said:

Both can read defenses. Both will sometimes manipulate defenders with their eyes, though IMO Maye does it a bit more...however, as I said earlier, that may have less to do with Daniels and more to do with his 1st reads getting open often.

I agree that Daniels is more polished right now, but that's something not unexpected when comparing a 5 year starter to a 2 year starter. I like Daniels, he's fun to watch, but for us I prefer Maye because I think he has more overall upside along with the potential for a longer career due to a bigger frame and hopefully taking way less hits.

I understand and feel you on the longer career argument. Hell he should have a longer career just because he is younger. If they both pull a Brady and play to 40 you get more Maye than you do JD. There is no guarantee that either of them see their full potential, though. That's just reality. 

I have looked at a lot of professional people's breakdowns and its just not true that SEC defenses are getting beat so bad by LSU skill positions that the first reads are just open. Lets not forget that while he has better skill players on his side, he is playing against greater opponents. He regularly checks into plays that beat the defense. I just posted vids of that. Point is that sometimes that first read is open because of him. Give him credit where it is due. He is not just the product of the team around him. He can ball. Rather you think he is better than the other guy is up to you. I honestly, truly, am good with either cause I think Quinn has a hell of a plan to support them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I understand and feel you on the longer career argument. Hell he should have a longer career just because he is younger. If they both pull a Brady and play to 40 you get more Maye than you do JD. There is no guarantee that either of them see their full potential, though. That's just reality. 

I have looked at a lot of professional people's breakdowns and its just not true that SEC defenses are getting beat so bad by LSU skill positions that the first reads are just open. Lets not forget that while he has better skill players on his side, he is playing against greater opponents. He regularly checks into plays that beat the defense. I just posted vids of that. Point is that sometimes that first read is open because of him. Give him credit where it is due. He is not just the product of the team around him. He can ball. Rather you think he is better than the other guy is up to you. I honestly, truly, am good with either cause I think Quinn has a hell of a plan to support them. 

It's not just LSU skill position players vs other SEC players. You're talking about two 1st round NFL WRs, including one that is definitely a top 10 pick. The average SEC CB is going to get smoked way more often than not by those guys. He does go through reads, but he also has lots of times where his first read is open as well.

I don't think it was all about his team around him. Daniels can ball, I agree. But there's also no doubting that he benefitted from having two stud receivers and a really good OL as well. 

Just now, mistertim said:

It's not just LSU skill position players vs other SEC players. You're talking about two 1st round NFL WRs, including one that is definitely a top 10 pick. The average SEC CB is going to get smoked way more often than not by those guys. He does go through reads, but he also has lots of times where his first read is open as well.

I don't think it was all about his team around him. Daniels can ball, I agree. But there's also no doubting that he benefitted from having two stud receivers and a really good OL as well. 

I think I understand your argument. Your point is that the team around him was SO GOOD that it makes him look more talented than he really is, yes? 

1 hour ago, mh86 said:

Don’t forget you have to throw in a few “I don’t care who we pick at QB, I’ll cheer for them regardless” posts. Just in case they work out.

Is anyone so invested in a single player they will cheer against the other guy and hope he fails if ‘their guy’ isn’t the pick? That would be strange. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I rode a rollercoaster and it reminded me of Mayes consistency level.

Then I rode the bumper cars and it reminded me of Daniels.

Fun day

Then you played the shooting range, won the biggest prize, and it reminded you of McCarthy.  weeeeeeeeeeee

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think I understand your argument. Your point is that the team around him was SO GOOD that it makes him look more talented than he really is, yes? 

I'm not saying he's not talented or a really good QB. He clearly is. I'm just saying that a supporting cast, good or bad, does have to be taken into account when doing a full analysis. 

50 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm just saying that a supporting cast, good or bad, does have to be taken into account when doing a full analysis. 

If we're getting granular then we also have to take into account the level of competition.  For example, Daniels played an Alabama defense with 3 likely first-round 2024 picks and 5 likely in the first three rounds, and overall LSU had a top-20 strength of schedule . Meanwhile, UNC had the fourth-weakest SOS of any Power 5 team. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Is anyone so invested in a single player they will cheer against the other guy and hope he fails if ‘their guy’ isn’t the pick? That would be strange. 

The desire to “be right” is a helluva drug. That’s why you see so many posts that start out “I said blah blah blah last year and I got laughed at…” 

I don’t think anybody will be actively pulling against whoever we pick, but they will think about it everyday and even worse…post in here about it everyday. 

• Like 6

Listened to Tony Pauline on 106.7 just now, hes hit and miss as for draft rumors. Hes most sold on the idea that this team is not taking McCarthy. He thinks they likeky go with Daniels. Believes Nix falls to the 2nd and the Senior Bowl and Combine did Nix no favors as to draft stock 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3