Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

You all can like the trade if you want to that's great.  There are some of us that don't.  There is plenty coming out that seems more negative than positive right now.  I am not going to talk myself into liking a player that I stated on here I hoped we wouldn't sign.  We made a huge mistake!  The Colts would have released him IF RR and Co. would have been patient.  

And he would have chosen to sign somewhere else was the possibility they had to come to grips with. Where are we if Mariota, Mitch and Winston all went to other teams? The team has made it clear they don’t like this draft class. 
they were better scenarios in my book, but this might have been one of the few realities 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

And he would have chosen to sign somewhere else was the possibility they had to come to grips with. Where are we if Mariota, Mitch and Winston all went to other teams? The team has made it clear they don’t like this draft class. 
they were better scenarios in my book, but this might have been one of the few realities 

That would have been fine with me.  :)  I didn't want us to sign him as a UFA if they had released him.  Again, if you like the trade and the player that's great.  I don't.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We are not  drafting a qb at #1 or #2. Maybe we get a backup qb in round 4.

Also; this is Ron’s long term qb . He expects Carson to be his qb for years. If we make playoffs in 22; Ron will not be drafting a qb in 23.

We fail and Ron won’t be the one deciding qb in 23. 

Your posting style of stating controversial or at least strongly opinionated takes like they are fact from an Oracle has gotta chill. You are going to look like a fool in the future if you don’t start couching this stuff in different language, man 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Two years after Wenz, Ron is fired and we start all over again and back to where we are at today. But hey at least we went to the playoffs with Wentz. 

You've been around the last 20 years, and know damn well that sneaking into the playoffs is our Super Bowl.  I'll have you remember that in 2020, we had some folks convinced that our 7-9 team could possibly make a run to the Super Bowl.  The team as it stands today is much more likely than the 2020 team to do that.  I'm not saying it's likely at all.  Hell, I'm not even saying Wentz is going to be a great fit here.  What I am saying is that this team needs a veteran that can throw the football and the best ones simply aren't available to us.  We still have our first round pick to select a QB, IF there's one there that they believe in.  We also still have next years 1st round pick should we not find one this season.  In summary, I just see this as among the best we could hope for given who we are and where we're at.  Certainly better than Mariota/Trubisky and hoping a QB we like makes it to us.

33 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If you think Dan is not in play in the background then I can't help you there. By the way, Ron has actually said he sits down with the owners. 

Not one coach in the league gets to avoid sitting down with the owner, outside of Green Bay.  I'm sure Dan wanted to make a much bigger splash than Carson Wentz.  From all I can see online, it's gone over like a hot fart in a crowded elevator.  This is not the splash Dan is known for.  The splash Dan is known for would be something like panicking to move up to select Willis as we get closer to the draft.  It's obvious to me, through hearing Ron speak, that he prefers a veteran QB vs. an unknown.  He tried to get a great one and had to settle for Wentz.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

You all can like the trade if you want to that's great.  There are some of us that don't.  There is plenty coming out that seems more negative than positive right now.  I am not going to talk myself into liking a player that I stated on here I hoped we wouldn't sign.  We made a huge mistake!  The Colts would have released him IF RR and Co. would have been patient.  

Who told you that?

I think in terms of pure athletic talent, Wentz is the team's best QB in a while. Unfortunately, he has an injury history, he's a headcase, nobody seems to like working with him and the production hasn't been overly great since 2017. Seems like a Donovan McNabb type move with slightly more upside because he's much younger. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who told you that?

In a market full of teams starving for a QB, an upcoming draft with no sure shots, where just the mere mention of an elite guy on the move sparks discussion about 3 1sts, 2 2nds, the GM's left testicle, Carson Wentz was going to be cut if not in exchange for a ham sandwich.  Suuuuuuure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

And that’s what they should have said we will give you one third and swap 2nds this year for him otherwise you will release him and get nothing

Quarterbacks cost money people, stop complaining about the price. What good is spending money on Amari Cooper when you have no one to throw him the ball?  Who here really wants to spend next year watching a rookie QB learn and go 4-13?  Not me.  We have the second best QB in the NFC east, and Dak is not much better than Wentz.  We are only a WR and MLB away.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Crazy idea:

What if we traded for Carson Wentz, not just because we want him to start next season but because there's another team that has the qb we truly desire and there's a chance he might be available later in the off season.

Suppose that team let it be known to our front office that they wanted a starting caliber qb (other than Heinicke) as part of the deal for their quarterback.

Consider that we still have three consecutive first round picks and a bevy of young, highly desireable, d-linemen to package along with Wentz.

Could such an offering put us in contention for Deshaun Watson should he be cleared of criminal charges?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

And that’s what they should have said we will give you one third and swap 2nds this year for him otherwise you will release him and get nothing

It's a damn shame Ron and the gang didn't have you and your masterful negotiation skills in the room.  It's wild how you guys assume that they were betting against themselves, as if nobody else could possibly have any interest in Wentz.  

2 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Quarterbacks cost money people, stop complaining about the price. What good is spending money on Amari Cooper when you have no one to throw him the ball?  Who here really wants to spend next year watching a rookie QB learn and go 4-13?  Not me.  We have the second best QB in the NFC east, and Dak is not much better than Wentz.  We are only a WR and MLB away.

You haven't been around long enough right?

Wentz will get injured at least once this season. And the guy has a ratio of 1 TO/game, that's gonna be fun to read on games' threads.

Mind you, if the guy had some upside the Colts wouldn't have been shopping him after trading for him last year and spending a 1st round pick in the process. They traded that to reunite the QB that had the best of his career with Franck Reich, the HC of the Colts that used to be the Eagles OC with the Eagles in 2017.

Still, after one year. Only one.

The Colts and Franck Reich were shopping him and made no secret they would have released him.

That would have been a huge red flag to me. His old coach traded for him, and now he's getting rid of him? Move along kid, move along...

You really have to wonder what goes through this FO's mind...

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

Your posting style of stating controversial or at least strongly opinionated takes like they are fact from an Oracle has gotta chill. You are going to look like a fool in the future if you don’t start couching this stuff in different language, man 

I dunno.

It must be nice to know everything.

17B8EACA-DA02-47EB-94D3-A706ED872173.jpeg

Edited by Die Hard
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

What if we traded for Carson Wentz, not just because we want him to start next season but because there's another team that has the qb we truly desire and there's a chance he might be available later in the off season.

Suppose that team let it be known to our front office that they wanted a starting caliber qb (other than Heinicke) as part of the deal for their quarterback.

That's where I am. Maybe not this year, but Wentz lets us sit at a bargaining table and be able to send a QB back in a trade. We could not do that b4.

Wentz can justify this trade by being just good enough to be trade-able. Then when a better QB becomes available, we are in a much better position to land him. Even if we have to eat some of his contract to do it, we can offer someone an actual starting QB which is mandatory in most QB trades.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In a market full of teams starving for a QB, an upcoming draft with no sure shots, where just the mere mention of an elite guy on the move sparks discussion about 3 1sts, 2 2nds, the GM's left testicle, Carson Wentz was going to be cut if not in exchange for a ham sandwich.  Suuuuuuure.

That's the thing that gets me. People acting like we got fleased too. The Colts have no first and got a 3rd back for it and not have nobody. 5 QBs in 5 years and now nobody. 

If Rodgers set the market at 50 mil, Wentz is probably between 12 and 15, so 28 is perfect. This will be by far the best offense that he's been on. If it doesn't work, we can easily walk away. Next year if we want to trade for someone, we now have a legit QB to trade also. 

Nobody wanted to come here. Trubinsky would rather go to the Giants with a starter.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Looks like he'll have to pay off either Sims or Brown for the number he wants.

I was gonna suggest #5, so people that were foolish enough to shell out money for a McNabb jersey could put tape over it and write “wentz” instead. But Way has #5 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's the thing that gets me. People acting like we got fleased too. The Colts have no first and got a 3rd back for it and not have nobody. 5 QBs in 5 years and now nobody. 

And yet couldn't wait to get rid of him. With a coach who's known him his whole career. From a  team that was a contender. 

So clearly he's a top-notch asset. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Supposedly a 3rd rounder and another 3rd rounder -- not sure about the 2nd pick, I've seen 3rd and also seen mid round pick.

Wentz has his faults but the dude has a Rypien level rocket of an arm and can throw the deep ball well.  To maximize that wondering about J. Williams?  Garrett Wilson?  Someone with some seriopus speed.  Granted there are guys like that in the 2nd ala Watson, Pierce, Tolbert, etc.

My point is Wentz to me is a very specific brand and very different skill wise than the Qbs we've had recently.  It makes me think of this receiver group and what would enhance that.

I'm thinking along those same lines too.  11 is too early for Jameson Williams in a class where you can probably get Jahan Dotson at 47.  But 11 isn't too early for Garrett Wilson IMO.

Samuel has some deep threat in him too.  I'm hesitant to rely on him moving forward, but the potential is there with him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

lol Wentz is not competing with Heinicke or a rookie, we dealt for him to be at least a bridge starter. Not to mention that having competition is what makes Wentz melt down and get weird (this is not a positive attribute, to be clear—just reality) and Rivera wants to win games. Wentz will get every single viable rep while healthy this offseason with no competition. For better or worse we traded assets for a starter, not a guy to compete to start. Rivera will use every single practice snap possible to salvage Wentz’s career. 

Well then RR's comments about competition in camp will be BS....Wentz will be handed the job for sure but that 70% of the snaps clause is in there for a reason. I also believe they pulled the trigger on Wentz now because they HAD to have another QB in place before free agency per Ron's comments. Hopefully Wentz fills that bill. 

9 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Quarterbacks cost money people, stop complaining about the price. What good is spending money on Amari Cooper when you have no one to throw him the ball?

So. Much. This.

Some fans like to pretend that Wentz needs to be 14x better than Heineke to justify his salary, but that's not how it works at all.  It's almost as if these same fans haven't watched other teams with bad QBs and a hell of a supporting cast stink to high hell.  What good are elite weapons if you have a QB that cannot hit the deep ball or hit players in stride for YAC?  What good is an elite defense if the offense can't score?  It starts and ends with the QB position and it's up the front office and coaching staff to maximize the roster with what's leftover.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

That's where I am. Maybe not this year, but Wentz lets us sit at a bargaining table and be able to send a QB back in a trade. We could not do that b4.

Wentz can justify this trade by being just good enough to be trade-able. Then when a better QB becomes available, we are in a much better position to land him. Even if we have to eat some of his contract to do it, we can offer someone an actual starting QB which is mandatory in most QB trades.

He’s our Stafford. We are going to the dance. Who is actually much better than us in the NFC? I don’t see it. The dude has balled before. If we add 1 more WR with a healthy Samuel and Logan Thomas we are going to be 12 win good. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's a damn shame Ron and the gang didn't have you and your masterful negotiation skills in the room.  It's wild how you guys assume that they were betting against themselves, as if nobody else could possibly have any interest in Wentz.  

I doubt many other teams would want him