Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Okay so we get a rookie at 11 and have Wentz for a year so we can make the other players happy for a year. But what did it cost to do that though? Rolling with a rookie and Taylor would have looked really bad since Dan is trying to get people's butt in the seats after the name change. For me it is still a Dan pressuring Ron move so Dan can sell more jerseys. This attitude for the last 25+ years has gotten us where we are today. So I just simply think this was not a good trade at all. For once I just really wanted a change that looked like we were going to build for the future. That hope now is pretty much gone, at least for me right now. 

We are not  drafting a qb at #1 or #2. Maybe we get a backup qb in round 4.

Also; this is Ron’s long term qb . He expects Carson to be his qb for years. If we make playoffs in 22; Ron will not be drafting a qb in 23.

We fail and Ron won’t be the one deciding qb in 23. 

4 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Why is everyone saying a $28M hit. I thought it was $22M. What am I missing?

The roster bonus is $6 mil. The guaranteed salary is  $22 mil.

Add them together to get $28mil in total compensation (excluding yet to be earned bonuses) for 2022.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How have they mortgaged the future with this move?  

I also think it’s a stretch to conclude this is Dan wanting to put butts in seats.  For one, I think a guy like Malik Willis puts more butts in seats than Carson Wentz.  Besides that, I’ve never seen a head coach more transparent and blunt about doing whatever it takes to acquire a QB than Ron.  He certainly doesn’t come across like Dans got his hand up his ass like a puppet when he’s said it.

Only if we don't draft a QB this year. But then again next year because we went to the playoffs and were out of position to select a QB in the upper 10. Two years after Wenz, Ron is fired and we start all over again and back to where we are at today. But hey at least we went to the playoffs with Wentz. 

If you think Dan is not in play in the background then I can't help you there. By the way, Ron has actually said he sits down with the owners. 

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Wentz is an upgrade over Heinicke, but not by much. He's also a lot more expensive and a lot less likable(say what you will about  Heinicke but he at least had the support of the locker room). 

I think its very likely this is just a one year deal and next year we fire Rivera, cut Wentz, and are starting completely over from scratch again.

The mentality of "better than what we have" is the problem. Ultimate success is so tied up in the QB position, just spending resources on something less awful, but ultimately not good enough, is the same kind of aiming for slightly above the middle mentality that's been this organizations' MO for over two decades now. And there are always a lot of fans who accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

We are paying his roster bonus as well.

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The roster bonus is $6 mil. The guaranteed salary is  $22 mil adding them together for a total of $28mil.

Ah, thank you! Missed those figures on the right. $30M average 😞 oh well.

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

No, you should not be making intellectually dishonest posts about stats, which are easily verifiable with no grey area. If you want to make an argument that makes sense with stats, that sort of thing is encouraged. Come on, man.  

What I said was based on below. Not sure how you think these stats are dishonest. I also said except for TD vs Int (Wentz was better at this) ratio which you seem to just ignore that I actually said that too. If you are going to sit there and tell me there is a night and day difference between these two than you are being dishonest to yourself instead. 

Carson Wentz

carson.jpg.4e0f8a0cff1578d74ff9f7e30c27c048.jpg

Taylor

taylor.jpg.9dd6b710a55c702e9e4b9319cee2ea2e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. At least Rivera didn't mortgage our future in an attempt to save his ass in DC.

2. Because we have to take on all of the cap charge, we have no money left to spend and, will recoup that 3rd round pick with Scherff's departure since we won't be able to sign anyone else.

3. We are probably trading back from #11 because we have to recoup some picks because we can't sign anyone in free agency and have holes to fill and are now down a 3rd.

We can easily still be active in FA with some small moves imo. You could sign Cooper to a pretty big contract that only has a $4-5M cap hit in year 1. Same for almost anyone else. What this does do is make it harder for us to do those $6-7M 1 year “prove it” type deals that can’t really be spread out. But those don’t usually work out for us anyways. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We had to make this trade, we aren’t a preferred destination. Jimmy G doesn’t even want to ****ing be here. The colts soured on Carson and probably think they are ****ing him over with this move. But they had us over a barrel because we’re desperate. 

It was a stupid move . We spent most of our  cap on this contract for a qb that will win us two more games then the guy we were paying 2 million to play qb. On top of that we got a guy that is always hurt and will miss games next season and that is always despised by his teammates and argues with his coaches.

16 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The roster bonus is $6 mil. The guaranteed salary is  $22 mil.

Add them together to get $28mil in total compensation (excluding yet to be earned bonuses) for 2022.

With the 28M for Wentz are we left with 5M in Cap Space or are we getting 25M more? Since the cap jumped this year which will leave us at 32M right? Idk I'm hearing we only have 5M then other people are saying 32M

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

What I said was based on below. Not sure how you think these stats are dishonest. I also said except for TD vs Int (Wentz was better at this) ratio which you seem to just ignore that I actually said that too. If you are going to sit there and tell me there is a night and day difference between these two than you are being dishonest to yourself instead. 

Carson Wentz

carson.jpg.4e0f8a0cff1578d74ff9f7e30c27c048.jpg

Taylor

taylor.jpg.9dd6b710a55c702e9e4b9319cee2ea2e.jpg

27-7 and 20-15 isn't even close. 42 points less and over twice the picks.  :ols:

And with a worse team Wentz did that.

1 minute ago, HogsVa7 said:

With the 28M for Wentz are we left with 5M in Cap Space or are we getting 25M more? Since the cap jumped this year which will leave us at 32M right? Idk I'm hearing we only have 5M then other people are saying 32M

5 million is all we have . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

We can easily still be active in FA with some small moves imo. You could sign Cooper to a pretty big contract that only has a $4-5M cap hit in year 1. Same for almost anyone else. What this does do is make it harder for us to do those $6-7M 1 year “prove it” type deals that can’t really be spread out. But those don’t usually work out for us anyways. 

We can sign Wagner and Cooper. They are cuts not unrestricted free agents in expired contracts. They don’t count against the formula for compensatory picks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomwvr said:

5 million is all we have . 

Thanks for responding. Man I'm cool with Wentz being here cause we tried to upgrade the best to get a QB, but leaving us with 5M in Cap Space makes me hate this trade cause we have guys we need to resign. Hopefully they can restructure his deal.

• Like 1

Just now, HogsVa7 said:

Thanks for responding. Man I'm cool with Wentz being here cause we tried to upgrade the best to get a QB, but leaving us with 5M in Cap Space makes me hate this trade cause we have guys we need to resign. Hopefully they can restructure his deal.

We'll have plenty more cap by early tomorrow. It's very easily manipulated. Zim is just pushing his narrative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

27-7 and 20-15 isn't even close. 42 points less and over twice the picks.  :ols:

Much easier schedule. Washington had the hardest schedule in the league last year.

42 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's not that $28m isn't affordable, it's that it's $26m more than they paid TH last year and the team has a number of holes to fill. Will Wentz put up significantly greater production? 

Yes, even with his flaws. Without question, if he’s healthy imo. They are not close in talent or past production, on the whole.

42 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The frustrating aspect of this discussion is that we had the same one last season. Wentz is not the kind of elite QB that makes price tag discussions irrelevant. 

We didn’t pay in trade value, and aren’t paying in salary, elite QB compensation. You’re right, he’s not the level of QB that makes price tag irrelevant like a Rodgers or even Wilson. But we also didn’t pay what those guys cost in trade, and won’t in salary either. Not even close. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh okay but let's not give Taylor the benefit of the doubt because he had only 1 real WR to throw to last year with no TE or a #2 WR (out whole year) or a true slot receiver and only one back when McKissic got hurt. See I can play this game too. ;)

• Haha 1

You all can like the trade if you want to that's great.  There are some of us that don't.  There is plenty coming out that seems more negative than positive right now.  I am not going to talk myself into liking a player that I stated on here I hoped we wouldn't sign.  We made a huge mistake!  The Colts would have released him IF RR and Co. would have been patient.