Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1. At least Rivera didn't mortgage our future in an attempt to save his ass in DC.

2. Because we have to take on all of the cap charge, we have no money left to spend and, will recoup that 3rd round pick with Scherff's departure since we won't be able to sign anyone else.

3. We are probably trading back from #11 because we have to recoup some picks because we can't sign anyone in free agency and have holes to fill and are now down a 3rd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get being critical of this, but what were other teams offering for Wentz and if we didn't make that trade, who's the better QB we had a shot to get?

Some of that we don't know--I assume there were other teams involved, sure. But man, it's a kick in the dinger taking on all that money for a really mediocre QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get being critical of this, but what were other teams offering for Wentz and if we didn't make that trade, who's the better QB we had a shot to get?

I'm betting some team will have to give up a 2nd and more to get Jimmy G, and I really don't think Jimmy is a better QB than Wentz.

As far as us taking on Wentz's salary, that might have been a necessary evil. Who knows who else was trying to trade for him, and even if he hit the open market, is there any indication he would prefer to come here over any of the other QB-needy teams? This franchise isn't exactly a high-end destination.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I like TH more than most people on here, but the idea that Wentz is only slightly better, if at all is...ridiculous

A big enough improvement to justify a $28 million price tag? Eh

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, VirginiaVibes said:

The tweeter can't see the obvious, I guess.

With Wilson and Rodgers off the board, the available options were dwindling. I'm assuming our FO didn't voluntarily offer more out of the kindness of their hearts, so I think its safe to assume the increasingly limited options, on top of other teams likely making bids for Wentz, drove up the price.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Top-tier QB's are now getting $40-50M per year. Hell, even grandpa Matt Ryan is costing the falcons $48M this year. $28M seems downright cheap by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

News reports from Philly were that he did not get along with teammates, that he was arrogant with coaches and would not accept criticism.  Dallas and Philly fans are laughing hard right now.  This was a panic move which should have been avoided.  So disappointed now.  At one point Doug Pederson and Carson would not speak to each other.  Why do we always hire some other teams garbage?  Years ago when we hired Norv Turner we got several ex-Cowboys who were over the hill and later we released all of them.

Wentz never got over two things in Philly: 

Foles winning the SB

Roseman drafting Hurts in the 2nd round

He sulked, and just had bad body language at not being the man even after he played poorly. Teammates anonymously ripped him. I live in the Philly suburbs and saw/heard it all. 

Wentz has everything to gain and everything to lose this season. His career will be on the brink and he has to know it. How bad does he want it is the question? I'll tell you this, he's gonna be pushed hard by TH and maybe even a rookie. He better get his head on straight and be ready to work because I can't see this just being handed to him. 

While in Philly Wentz isolated on Zach Ertz a ton...to a fault. He's gonna need to do some hard film study here and stop turning the ball over by holding on to it too long. His last game in Indy was a microcosm of his biggest faults.

I can't see it working out here but maybe we can play to his strengths with a healthy Samuel/Gibson and Thomas? 

• Thumb up 1

I do not like Wentz, said so from the beginning. Not a big fan of this trade but it's really not a bad trade. People act like some of the draft picks are gold when they are fools gold. If he works out - again I have my serious doubts - but if he does it's a big win. If not, there is no gauranteed money passed next year. You cut your losses and get the QB you want in next years draft. I could see a trade back from #11 now to load up for next year and recoup at least one of those lost #3s. Get the other one with losing Brandon Scherff. It's not a huge price tag at all. Not getting the swap of #2s but still not a bad deal. 

For me this was better than getting Jimmy G which is who I thought we would get, who would have been more expensive, at least I think he would/will be. The best part of this is that we are out on Watson! That is the silver lining for me. 

I will always root for our players to be successful. So doubts and all I hope he does well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

How much do you guys expect to spend on a quarterback that can throw the football?

The ever elusive really good rookie QB on a cheap contract is obviously the preference of everyone.  But you have to both find and develop that rookie and typically by the time he's proven to you that he's good enough to win with, he wants a top of market contract like everyone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Comments under these types of tweets always crack me up. A lot of people who follow former players (who haven’t become respected analysts) just aren’t very smart fans imo. Lowest common denominator type fans. There’s so much good and thought-provoking analysis happening on twitter (despite its problems) I can’t imagine clogging my feed with the thoughts of random ex-players. Like I’m not gonna go out and see what Santana Moss or Antwaan Randle-El think about anything, they’re just dudes who were good at one thing. And the further dudes get from the game as time passes the worse their takes become. 

Note that I’m not saying anyone who thinks this was a bad trade falls into that category—there are plenty of reasonable arguments to support that regardless of what I think. I’m specifically talking about the types of dead-brain level fan responses under tweets like this one. And this isn’t everyone who follows these guys of course. But I can see why you’re always talking about fighting with people in the replies to peoples’ tweets @Cooleyfan1993you’re immersing yourself into and replying in the spaces that draw in the dumbest sports fans on the planet. You’re shopping at Super IdiotMart and then being surprised when you find a bunch of idiots there. Same with huge accounts like Schefter or Rappoport on the other end of the popularity spectrum, everyone of every level of intelligence follows those guys for news so you’re going to get a lot of dummies that seem like they need correcting. But it’s a waste! 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

Wentz is an upgrade over Heinicke, but not by much. He's also a lot more expensive and a lot less likable(say what you will about  Heinicke but he at least had the support of the locker room). 

I think its very likely this is just a one year deal and next year we fire Rivera, cut Wentz, and are starting completely over from scratch again.

I see people saying that after Wentzs salary of 28 million is added that we will only have $4 million in Cap space for Free agency. That is WRONG!  Don't forget that the Cap just went up 25 million per team. Add in the fact that Landon Collins will be restructured or cut and they will also probably restructure Wentz. We are going to have plenty of money to bring in some Free Agents as well as sign some of our own. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Some of that we don't know--I assume there were other teams involved, sure. But man, it's a kick in the dinger taking on all that money for a really mediocre QB.

7 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm betting some team will have to give up a 2nd and more to get Jimmy G, and I really don't think Jimmy is a better QB than Wentz.

As far as us taking on Wentz's salary, that might have been a necessary evil. Who knows who else was trying to trade for him, and even if he hit the open market, is there any indication he would prefer to come here over any of the other QB-needy teams? This franchise isn't exactly a high-end destination.

Yeah, certainly not the ideal scenario to build a team, but it's definitely the best option. After Wilson and Rodgers made up their minds, Carr wasn't moving and would have cost at minimum 2 1rsts and a player and his contract would have been a hell of a lot more. Talent wise, I'd say Wentz is at worst on the level of Carr. Trading a 2nd for Injury Jim would have sucked. Trubs, Winston, Mariotta? Scrubs only better than Darnold and Heinicke. I don't even think they would have chosen to come here. The draft is a crap shoot and if there was a sure fire prospect that would have been at our pick, then yes, that's the way we should go, but that's not the case. We were probably looking at QB3 (or 4 now that the Seahawks are probably grabbing Corral before us) in a draft without a bonafide day one starter.

Making this trade forces Wentz to have to play for us and if it doesn't work out, we can walk away next year cleanly. If it does, we have one of the better QBs in the league. 

• Like 5

I know what Rivera would say if he was on the forum right now: "Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys!"

Seriously, I've been watching the condensed version of all of Wentz's games at Indy last year and honestly (at least early in the season) he did some things that make me giddy googly and oozy with juicy inside.

At his best we haven't had a qb with this level of talent and deep throwing ability since we traded for RGIII EXACTLY ONE YEAR AGO TODAY.

At his worst...well I'm not gonna go there today.

I'm just gonna embrace the positive and hope for the best. If i end up disappointed again in the end I'll deal with it then.

"Everything else was just a stone you sailed at the sea." 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1