Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The big thing Heinicke brings that some of the “league best” don’t: clutch and nerves of steel. Cousins is a better QB is every single measure. Physical, statistical, size… name it and its advantage Cousins. Most of us think Cousins would make us a better team I’d bet.

But I’d take Taylor Heinicke in a close game in the fourth quarter in prime time almost 100% of the time.

We'd win more games with Kirk for sure IMO.  the Vikings 10-2 with a garbage defense right now.   

Kirk isn't hot in the clutch no doubt but he has some moments especially this season.  Ironically we did watch him outduel Taylor in the 4th quarter a month ago.   

But yeah Taylor for a dude who plays below average most of the time has an interesting knack of playing above average late in the game and Kirk has been a roller coaster on that front with too many down moments. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Howell would be a prime canidate for the @Skinsinparadisepractice squad guaranteed protected spot. I dont think the team can proceed with their QB search expecting him to be the answer long term but he might be a guy some where down the line with stability. 

pretty sure that was me.

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There’s no doubt that for whatever reason Heinicke thrives when the chips are down, but Kirk is 29th all time in GWD, and has around 7 of them this season alone.  The narrative doesn’t always match the particulars.

don’t care about Cousins GWD. Don’t trust him in big moments of big games. It’s not a narrative. It’s how I feel :ols:

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We'd win more games with Kirk for sure IMO.  the Vikings 10-2 with a garbage defense right now.   

Kirk isn't hot in the clutch no doubt but he has some moments especially this season.  Ironically we did watch him outduel Taylor in the 4th quarter a month ago.   

But yeah Taylor for a dude who plays below average most of the time has an interesting knack of playing above average late in the game and Kirk has been a roller coaster on that front with too many down moments. 

We’d win more games with Kirk, absolutely. But big ones when the lights are shining? Not sure.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We’d win more games with Kirk, absolutely. But big ones when the lights are shining? Not sure.

I'll boil down more simply.  I'd take Kirk over Taylor by a mile.  Both are imperfect.  But Taylor's imperfections are way more pronounced.  The irony is among Kirk's comebacks this year includes overcoming a late 10 point deficit against this team even though our D line was blowing him up -- Heinicke helped set up their comeback with a 4th quarter pick. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll boil down more simply.  I'd take Kirk over Taylor by a mile.  Both are imperfect.  But Taylor's imperfections are way more pronounced.  The irony is among Kirk's comebacks this year includes overcoming a late 10 point deficit against this team even though our D line was blowing him up -- Heinicke helped set up their comeback with a 4th quarter pick. 

Never argued I wouldn’t take Kirk over Heinicke. My original post basically says as much.

• Like 2

I would not be mad at bringing in Baker.

It would be dirt-cheap with the biggest cost being the roster spot you gotta give up for him. That gives your coaches a chance to get him in the playbook and look at him in practice to see if he can be a part of a possible QB competition we have in the offseason next year.

We are very unlikely to have a rookie good enough to throw right into the fire and you have to hedge your bets in case you can not obtain a clear cut no question veteran starter. Baker would have no impact this year, but could pay dividends later.

59 minutes ago, oraphus said:

wow thats crazy.  

Just wondering what you guys think of maybe bringing in Jacoby Brisset.  I like the way he plays and he has done pretty decent in clevland.  If were looking for someone cheap to push Howell.  I dont know if he will be available but guys like him usually are. 

45 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

wow thats crazy.  

Just wondering what you guys think of maybe bringing in Jacoby Brisset.  I like the way he plays and he has done pretty decent in clevland.  If were looking for someone cheap to push Howell.  I dont know if he will be available but guys like him usually are. 

I have a feeling that playable QBs are going to be a hot commodity this offseason. Lots of really bad QB play all over this season.

As for Mayfield, the Rams are just trying to get through the rest of the season and are almost where the Redskins were the year they signed Josh Johnson. Stafford is out and the second-stringer was being evaluated for injuries last week.

I'd be interested too if the mood on Heinicke changes drastically if one of these games where he throws 3-4 "turnover worthy passes" actually end up as turnovers.  With how close most of these games have been, any one of those pass attempts being picked off could have changed the outcome.  I know we can't play the what-if game, but since it is happening every game, the odds are that they will run into a game or two in the future where those types of passes do end up as turnovers. The 49ers game could get super ugly in that way, really quick.

• Like 2

If I'm Rivera looking at the big picture, and I see a new ownership group on the horizon, I might push all my chips in after the bye and start Wentz. It's an all-or-nothing move that could fail spectacularly. Or not. I think we've squeezed out what we can with TH and it has been a fun run.  Only caveat: take the temperature of the team captains on such a move. If McLauren and Jonathan Allen are ride-or-die with TH maybe you don't make the move. But otherwise, I'd probably go for it.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

46 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

If I'm Rivera looking at the big picture, and I see a new ownership group on the horizon, I might push all my chips in after the bye and start Wentz. It's an all-or-nothing move that could fail spectacularly. Or not. I think we've squeezed out what we can with TH and it has been a fun run.  Only caveat: take the temperature of the team captains on such a move. If McLauren and Jonathan Allen are ride-or-die with TH maybe you don't make the move. But otherwise, I'd probably go for it.

Carson probably doesnt come to the games anymore. Probably out deer hunting.

After the tie drive other day...Taylor starts till we get eliminated. Then we throw in sam. Carson bags him a spike buck

I would be so interested in how Wentz would handle coming in and leading this team for the playoff push, it could be a game changer for his career and confidence or the final nail in his starting QB coffin.

We'll never find out but for a guy whose looking for redemption its the perfect setup for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I would be so interested in how Wentz would handle coming in and leading this team for the playoff push, it could be a game changer for his career and confidence or the final nail in his starting QB coffin.

We'll never find out but for a guy who’s looking for redemption it’s the perfect setup for him.

I like how you used the word “interested”.  Similar words I’ve seen used pertaining to Wentz:

Intrigued

Curious

All speculative words, based around how his skill set could work given a similar offensive strategy as we’ve seen with Heinicke.

I honestly can’t recall any posts from anyone bold enough to definitively state they are certain that Carson Wentz would definitely play well if he got the starting job back.

As opposed to the definitive statements like “Carson Wentz would’ve taken a bunch of sacks”.  Case closed, zero nuance, the end. 

Speculative statements generally should promote healthy discourse and debate.  Definitive statements based on events that haven’t occurred are the opposite of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like how you used the word “interested”.  Similar words I’ve seen used pertaining to Wentz:

Intrigued

Curious

All speculative words, based around how his skill set could work given a similar offensive strategy as we’ve seen with Heinicke.

I honestly can’t recall any posts from anyone bold enough to definitively state they are certain that Carson Wentz would definitely play well if he got the starting job back.

As opposed to the definitive statements like “Carson Wentz would’ve taken a bunch of sacks”.  Case closed, zero nuance, the end. 

Speculative statements generally should promote healthy discourse and debate.  Definitive statements based on events that haven’t occurred are the opposite of that.

Totally agree.  With that said, Wentz woulda been killed out there.  😁

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

We'll never find out but for a guy whose looking for redemption its the perfect setup for him.

He had all off-season to prepare for redemption.

Him stepping back in in December in  the middle of a playoff race would be some vintage 2000 Grade A Dan Snyder idiocy.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Intrigued

Curious

Well in that case let me promote healthy discourse and debate then. Not intrigued, or curious, or interested. If Ron wants to put Wentz back in then he just needs to do it or if Taylor gets hurt. No need to see Wentz at all for curious or quilty reasons. 

4 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Big picture is Wentz gone at the end of the season. His signing was a mistake. Time to move on.

TH stays as a backup and competes for starting job next Spring. Probably against another high-profile has been. Howell gets some reps.

There's no way Wentz comes in cold in the middle of December, baring an injury on TH. Even then, maybe RR goes with Howell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Mexican said:

There's no way Wentz comes in cold in the middle of December, baring an injury on TH. Even then, maybe RR goes with Howell.

If Keim, Bram among others are right based on what rhey are hearing, once Wentz is healthy which he should be after the bye, 100% chance it would be Wentz if Heinicke is injured or plays bad.  they like Howell's progress behind the scenes burt according to them he's not an option as a backup above Wentz.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Keim, Bram among others are right based on what rhey are hearing, once Wentz is healthy which he should be after the bye, 100% chance it would be Wentz if Heinicke is injured or plays bad.  they like Howell's progress behind the scenes burt according to them he's not an option as a backup above Wentz.

Can't remember what guest The Junkies had on last week who said they really like where Howell is at, he's been working a ton on footwork/mechanics but like those you mentioned, agreed we aren't seeing him on the field this year.

• Like 1