Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

46 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Here's a harmless thought experiment.  You can have any quarterback you want, right now, as the Commanders quarterback.  No compensation to the other team needed. We abosrb the player's existing contract. 

Who ya got? Mahomes? Josh Allen? Lamar? Joe Burrow? Gardner Minshew? Why?  This gets to the type of QB you see as ideal to lead a team.

Tough to pick between Mahomes and Allen. Allen is a couple years younger and he's bigger, but Mahomes can pull out insane circus stuff that even Allen might not be able to do, so I'd probably go with Mahomes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the [REDACTED] have finally gotten to you.   I thought it might happen after all the posts with people selling his moxie, it was bound to wear some of us down.   

giphy.gif

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Your information in your above post appears to have been…

REDACTED

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mariota walked out on his team. No. Give me [REDACTED] before him.

whereas, in terms of reading into that as revealing some pervasive indictment of the relevant traits, i make little out of it

there were a number of worthy professionals i worked with as clients who left a high position in far less than ideal form yet were just fine in their consequent employment in the same field

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

whereas, in terms of reading into that as revealing some pervasive impact on the relevant traits i make little out of that

there were a number of worthy professionals i worked with as clients who left a high position in far less than ideal form yet were just fine in their consequent employment in the same field

Don’t disagree with this at all. But, when you are a mediocre commodity that was actively debated as being an option for us as a bridge QB last off-season in competition with none other than Mitch Trubisky…

Walking out on your team is a real bad look. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Don’t disagree with this at all. But, when you are a mediocre commodity that was actively debated as being an option for us as a bridge QB last off-season in competition with none other than Mitch Trubisky…

For me, I'd just have to probe with him about it.  Following the story, there seemed to be very little narrative behind it, feels mysterious.

But as a dude, Mariota is known to be one of the more likeable dudes from what I heard.  This isn't like a dude who is known for tantrums.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tough to pick between Mahomes and Allen. Allen is a couple years younger and he's bigger, but Mahomes can pull out insane circus stuff that even Allen might not be able to do, so I'd probably go with Mahomes.

My sense is Josh Allen will give you more quality years at this point, by virtue of being younger and that his game is better suited to longevity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

agreed.....it's just my experience and education have left me not giving much weight to occasional  'bad looks' with humans, let alone when i dont have all the pertinent information first hand to factor in....your take is still reasonable to me, i just find it easier to not embrace it myself for the reasons ive given

now if he was also height-challenged he'd get no benefit of the doubt rom me

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yikes!

Just going through PFF's metrics for accuracy -- adjusted completion.

As expected most of the players who are hitting the market weren't hot on that front. Dalton actually was good.  Brissett below average but not awful.

Heinicke, Wentz were bad. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yikes!

He pulled a "FULL Jay Schreoder" in '22 lol. 

As a sidenote, I was ecstatic that someone finally posted the Redskins win at Philly in late '86 to youtube a while ago. I'd literally waited more than 35 years to get another look at Ricky Sanders diving catch late in that game (ricky had epic diving catches against the Eagles in '86 and Giants in '89, Clark had a famous 1 hander against Pitt in I think '91, and Monk had a pile of them, including an epic td catch in the miracle comeback win against the vikes in '86 (down I think 38-17, came back to win it). Anyway a sidelight laugh after viewing the catch was seeing the other 10-15 minutes of Jay running the offense and just watching these passes that reminded me of the old Pittsburgh fan joke from the eighties that any pass that inadvertently landed 7-12 yards to the right, or left, or north or south of intended receiver while not being thrown to escape pressure was henceforth to be known as a "Malone" in honor of its greatest practitioner: Mark Malone. Watching Jay just bounces passes left and right like 5-8 yards away from the targets was beyond high comedy, really underlined how thoroughly committed he was to a 50.0% completion rate back in the mid-eighties. Such a different league back then but guys like Jay and Mark really mastered the art of inaccuracy all the same. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

[REDACTED] doesn’t use his legs, either.

Really?? How does he walk?!

You know I am not sure who is more annoying--the Heinicke Humpers (they've leveled up from a Hive to full on fornication) or the Rivera Revilers. They just keep posting the same things over and over again.

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You know I am not sure who is more annoying--the Heinicke Humpers (they've leveled up from a Hive to full on fornication) or the Rivera Revilers. They just keep posting the same things over and over again.

I actually feel bad for Rivera. He’s made some decisions that are dicey, sure… (all HCs do) but this guy has been dealt a real **** hand that I’m sure that he didn’t envision when he signed on… even if he was warned.

It can’t possibly be as bad as they say, right? Rivera is learning it can be.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

RUTHLESS OPPRESSOR OF FREE EXPRESSION AND TOTAL HATER!!11!

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Here's a harmless thought experiment.  You can have any quarterback you want, right now, as the Commanders quarterback.  No compensation to the other team needed. We abosrb the player's existing contract. 

Who ya got? Mahomes? Josh Allen? Lamar? Joe Burrow? Gardner Minshew? Why?  This gets to the type of QB you see as ideal to lead a team.

I'd go with Burrow or Herbert because they're still on rookie contracts. You get a superstar QB and you can absolutely stack the team around them like crazy.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually feel bad for Rivera. He’s made some decisions that are dicey, sure… (all HCs do) but this guy has been dealt a real **** hand that I’m sure that he didn’t envision when he signed on… even if he was warned.

Yep, I have a lot of empathy for the guy.  I know it would be uncouth to do it ever, but it's not like he's looking for sympathy.  He doesn't make excuses, he doesn't scapegoat, and even when he blames someone else ("It's the quarterback") he still says "And I'm the one who ****ing got him here."

I don't think he's Gibbs by a lightyear, but he's way, way closer to a great coach than anyone else since 1993.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Revilers act like hes Jim Zorn. He's been the most consistent HC we've had. Weve played meaningful games in December every year under him--under worse conditions than any other coach has had to face. Yet he's avoided the disaster seasons no other coach has. If Harris or Bezos want to blow it all up when they come in, I won't complain, but Rivera is far from a problem here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Ooooh, this is a fun game.

I gotta go with Joe "Ice In His Veins" Burrow.  He has proven he can win with sub-par Oline play, can make every throw, is smart, savvy, and a leader of men.

BURROW is the answer!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yep, I have a lot of empathy for the guy.  I know it would be uncouth to do it ever, but it's not like he's looking for sympathy.  He doesn't make excuses, he doesn't scapegoat, and even when he blames someone else ("It's the quarterback") he still says "And I'm the one who ****ing got him here."

I don't think he's Gibbs by a lightyear, but he's way, way closer to a great coach than anyone else since 1993.

I'm there with him as well...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

One thing I remember about Gibbs was that he had great assistant coaches who he relied on and delegated a lot of responsibility to. I see RR as a very good leader with holes that possibly the right coordinators could fill. Gibbs also was an offensive innovator to an extent whereas RR hasn't shown to be a great defensive head coach. All that being said, I hope when we get good that RR is here and that he's a big reason why because he came in here the worst time and has had a lot of crap handed to him to fix. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Moving forward we should refer to that person as [REDACTED]

I refer to a certain draft where we picked three pass catchers in the second round as “The draft we do not mention” and a particular pass catcher who’s nickname was a hair grooming implement as “he who shall not be named.” 

I think we should henceforth refer to our awful backup QB who had to start for much of the last 2 years as “you know who.”

His name is cursed.  

image.gif.0b19954cce67256dd44c4d80e5a939c8.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd go with Burrow or Herbert because they're still on rookie contracts. You get a superstar QB and you can absolutely stack the team around them like crazy.

Eh, this is the last year of their rookie contracts, so it's not like you have much more time to build around them before extending. Also take into account that Burrow and Herbert will both likely get ginormous contract extensions that will blow the Mahomes and Allen contracts out of the water, whereas if you pick up Mahomes you already have him under contract until 2031 and Allen until 2028 at a lower price point.

I'll take either Mahomes or Allen over Burrow or Herbert any day from a talent perspective.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eh, this is the last year of their rookie contracts, so it's not like you have much more time to build around them before extending. Also take into account that Burrow and Herbert will both likely get ginormous contract extensions that will blow the Mahomes and Allen contracts out of the water, whereas if you pick up Mahomes you already have him under contract until 2031 and Allen until 2028 at a lower price point.

I'll take either Mahomes or Allen over Burrow or Herbert any day from a talent perspective.

Doesn't matter, if Mahomes or Allen were to get traded first thing they'd ask for is a new contract.  They all do.  So what if the Chiefs signed him until 2031, we aren't the Chiefs.  It's a new relationship and a new owner would have to show his love.  That's how much leverage QBs are getting.