Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know what to think about Jason Wright. He's a bright guy, well educated, but man there was mistake after mistake so far during his tenure. On the flip side, how much of that is on him? I feel like its still mostly just the Snyders messing things up and Wright is just paid a lot of money to be the public face and own the mistakes. 

Ultimately he has nothing to do with the actual football operations so I really couldn't care less if he stays or goes. 

I feel like Jason Wright has existed solely to carry Snyder's water...which requires being a liar and a bull-**** artist. Neither of which he seems to be very good at, though he has tried. 

On a different team, he might have been a halfway decent executive. But not in WAS.

24 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I feel like Jason Wright has existed solely to carry Snyder's water...which requires being a liar and a bull-**** artist. Neither of which he seems to be very good at, though he has tried. 

On a different team, he might have been a halfway decent executive. But not in WAS.

Ultimately anyone associated with the Synder era will finally need to go. All in good time.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am good with riding with Howell.  But curious about what else is out there.    Based on this tweet, I gather Tannehill might hit the market

That's a hard no for me unless it's to be Howell's back-up. I really do not want any more of these retreads. That is clearly just not working. The only potential FA I might be interested in would have been Carr but that contract is a non-starter. 

Just go with Howell, bring in Bridgewater, Brisett type as the back-up, draft a mid-rounder as the 3rd (Jake Fromm ain't it) and use the resources to plug up the Oline. They got a little too ****y in thier ability to field a good Oline. I understand letting Scherff go, not sure he ever signs here for any amount. But the plan to replace the Oline defections was not good. 

But let Sam play. Give him a full season and then if you still need a QB go for one in 2024. So many things will be settled by then, not the least of which who owns the team and what kind of staff they really want. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

That's a hard no for me unless it's be Howell's back-up. I really do not want any more of these retreads. That is clearly just not working. The only potential FA I might be interested in would have been Carr but that contract is a non-starter. 

Just go with Howell, bring in Bridgewater, Brisett type as the back-up, draft a mid-rounder as the 3rd (Jake Fromm ain't it) and use the resources to plug up the Oline. They got a little too ****y in thier ability to field a good Oline. I understand letting Scherff go, not sure he ever signs here for any amount. But thed plan to replace the Oline defections was not good. 

But let Sam play. Give him a full season and then if you still need a QB go fro one in 2024. So many things will be settled by then, not the least of which who owns the team and what kind of staff they really want. 

Speaking for myself, its a QB thread so I am putting different names and different scenarios on the thread for entertainment purposes.  But as for what I want to ride with its Howell and a QB good enough to push him and heck even capable of beating him for the job but where its a 50-50 fight.  I think that would be good for Howell, don't hand him the job but give him a fair chance to earn it.  So someone like Brissett who I've pushed now for well over a month.  Maybe Dalton.

Do I think that will work out?  I don't know.  I'd say 50-50.  But what the heck, roll the dice.  I like Howell but there is always a strong element of unpredictability with a young QB. The script has to play out. If for example Howell bombs in camp (I don't think he will but anything is possible) if you have a veteran who isn't a disaster to step in, the season should be fine.

Digesting the narratives from people who cover the team, they all seem for now to converge on the same points.

A.  Howell is given a full shot at the job

B.  They aren't though handing him the job, he has to battle for it.

C.  they will have an inexpensive veteran battle Howell

D.  They genuinely like this approach.

E.  Even if they didn't like the approach Dan isn't likely going to give the money to chase a QB that's expensive

F.  So they are locked in this approach probably regardless of how they feel about it but they are supposedly cool with it.

In other words, as for QBs here, even for those who like the idea of Carr, Jimmy G, Brady or whomever, the ownership sale likely impinges on a move like that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I certainly don't want them to trade up. But if they find a QB they like in the 1st or 2nd round I'd be fine with that. Draft QBs until you find the guy I say.  But the kicker of course is the people making the decision may very well not be here in a year and just because they liked a guy doesn't mean the new folks will like him.  

This should be Howell's team to lead, IMO.  Yes, bring in competition but to me he led and earned the respect of the team before he even played, and you heard it from player's comments after the game and season.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Maybe.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Wright is here for the long haul.

Wright only came here because the nfl put him here. His job is over when Dan is gone because that was his job, minding Dan.

The first person the new owner will hire, will be his person to run the team.  That person will see what needs to be improved short term and the work with the owner to get the new stadium built and what needs to be in the new stadium.

The new owner isn’t going to rely on some nfl imposed lackey.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wright only came here because the nfl put him here. His job is over when Dan is gone because that was his job, minding Dan.

The first person the new owner will hire, will be his person to run the team.  That person will see what needs to be improved short term and the work with the owner to get the new stadium built and what needs to be in the new stadium.

The new owner isn’t going to rely on some nfl imposed lackey.

Unless he comes NFL recommended.

We'll see.

I don't like QB competitions and believe the idea of a "veteran mentor" is completely overblown.

Whatever QB we bring in should be a straight up backup. Period. Let Howell get every starter rep possible throughout the off season. Commit to him and show him confidence from the get go. 

Only bad organizations have "QB competitions." The good ones know who their guy is and commit to him from the get go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't like QB competitions and believe the idea of a "veteran mentor" is completely overblown.

Whatever QB we bring in should be a straight up backup. Period. Let Howell get every starter rep possible throughout the off season. Commit to him and show him confidence from the get go. 

Only bad organizations have "QB competitions." The good ones know who their guy is and commit to him from the get go.

A cheap QB2 who will accept the back-up role, be a good presence in the QB room and locker room, and - if need be - could come in and win a few games?

I know a guy. 😈 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

A cheap QB2 who will accept the back-up role, be a good presence in the QB room and locker room, and - if need be - could come in and win a few games?

I know a guy. 😈 

Yes, and I love TH but he doesn't have the arm or potential that Howell has.  

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes, and I love TH but he doesn't have the arm or potential that Howell has.  

He’s referring to [REDACTED] being a back up. But the problem is the Hive is too vocal to allow him to be a backup. First signs of the yips from Howell and half the fanbase is banging the drum for [REDACTED]. 

No thanks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have to agree with @KDawg CS.  We need to move on. I hope for nothing but the best for TH and wherever he ends up.  

I'm in no way married to TH as backup but there are a few factors here in my thinking re: why he may end up coming back:

1) People are mentioning Brissett over and over but if I'm him, wouldn't I want a $10M deal to try and start somewhere given what I just showed in Cleveland? Don't see him accepting a clear back-up role.

2) Along those lines, with the purse strings potentially limited given Snyder/the sale and needing whatever cap space we can to try and pay for Payne, the guys in the $5M tier we may be looking at might not present any particular upgrade to TH.

3) I don't buy the "fans will call for the celebrity backup" thing. If Howell is clearly the guy, he's the guy. Moreover, we know TH is a positive presence in the locker room. That makes a difference.

Anyway, again, I think it's premature to have this conversation without knowing who the OC is. But I really could see TH being the QB2 for those reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Skinsinparadise @KDawg @CapsSkins @HigSkin @Chump BaileyWho do you all like as a cheap backup vet QB.  I know it's hard to say w/o any OC at this time.  If I had to pick a QB that I like on the cheap that I think fits and can be good, I like both, Stidham and Minshew.  I also would like to see us draft Fresno State QB Jake Haener in the very late 4th/early 5th if he is available.

Edited by RWJ

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise @KDawg @CapsSkins @HigSkin Who do you all like as a cheap backup vet QB.  I know it's hard to say w/o any OC at this time.  If I had to pick a QB that I like on the cheap that I think fits and can be good, I like both, Stidham and Minshew.  I also would like to see us draft Fresno State QB Jake Haener in the very late 4th/early 5th if he is available.

Keenum

Henne

Lock

Rypien

Taylor

Stick

B. Allen

And my holy grail: Shane Buechele. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Keenum

Henne

Lock

Rypien

Taylor

Stick

And my holy grail: Shane Buechele. 

If money is equal, why would Keenum leave Buffao or Henne leave KC? I'd rather not have to outbid for those guys.

Tyrod is under contract next year.

Lock and Stidham (?) I don't know much about.

Doesn't Rypien suck?

Just now, CapsSkins said:

If money is equal, why would Keenum leave Buffao or Henne leave KC? I'd rather not have to outbid for those guys.

Tyrod is under contract next year.

Lock and Stidham (?) I don't know much about.

Doesn't Rypien suck?

I don’t know if they would or wouldn’t. He asked for names of guys that are options. I sure wouldn’t leave KC for Washington. 

Ryp is Ryp. He’s not great. But we’re talking budget backup here. Guy has some experience.

Would you feel better if I added: Rush, Mullens and Kyle Allen?

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know if they would or wouldn’t. He asked for names of guys that are options. I sure wouldn’t leave KC for Washington. 

Ryp is Ryp. He’s not great. But we’re talking budget backup here. Guy has some experience.

Would you feel better if I added: Rush, Mullens and Kyle Allen?

Rush is an interesting name. I doubt he leaves Dallas but he may see Wash as a potential starting situation if Howell falters, and he may not find a clear starting opportunity elsewhere. Wonder what $ he'd want.

Bringing in a veteran backup is fine as long as they know they're the backup 100%. Don't give them any iota of thought that they can compete for a starting job. You're the backup, period.

And I think its imperative the backup be mobile. That's been a general team building philosophy of mine is to always have a mobile backup because they can pick up the occasional junk yards/first downs to extend an extra drive or two that can be the difference between winning and losing a close game(that's basically what Heinicke did although he also had some ridiculous BS luck to win some games).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1