Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Interested to see how the Vikings pass offense plans to attack this defense on Sunday.  They seem better equipped than the last few opponents to try and actually pinpoint match ups and go there over and over.  (Kendal Fuller, I am looking in your direction, linebackers not named Jamin Davis.....you too?).   Curl & Forrest have been a pretty good duo, and St Juste has been a breath of fresh air, but I still do worry about the depth at the position and am worried about Fuller being beaten for big plays anytime there isn't a safety to help over the top.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Interested to see how the Vikings pass offense plans to attack this defense on Sunday.  They seem better equipped than the last few opponents to try and actually pinpoint match ups and go there over and over.  (Kendal Fuller, I am looking in your direction, linebackers not named Jamin Davis.....you too?).   Curl & Forrest have been a pretty good duo, and St Juste has been a breath of fresh air, but I still do worry about the depth at the position and am worried about Fuller being beaten for big plays anytime there isn't a safety to help over the top.

The good news is the Vikes OL still isn't great at pass protection. We need to be able to get home with four like we have been doing. The difference is Cousins is an actual good QB and can get rid of the ball quick. On the flip side, they are good at run blocking and Cook is a stud RB(the backup Mattison ain't bad either).

Asking Juste to cover Jefferson 1 on 1 would be asking a lot. Definitely need Safety help over the top. And they have Hockenson at TE now too. 

Our offense absolutely has to help out this week. Can't have repeated 3 and outs and probably need a turnover free game. We'll need to score 24 if not more and hope the D doesn't allow more than 21. 

15 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Not sure if it’s on a different thread but it looks like we were able to unload WJ3 for at least something. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/11/steelers-to-acquire-cb-william-jackson-from-commanders

"a conditional 6th round pick in 2025 being swapped for a conditional 7th in 2025."

What?

Jackson trade opens doors wide open to get Payne an extension. The Dline has been an extreme bright spot two out of last three seasons.  Payne has earned it. Some will say it’s a break out season, for others (me included) it’s the same dude I’ve been watching. High chance he proves to be worth commitment. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Jackson trade opens doors wide open to get Payne an extension. The Dline has been an extreme bright spot two out of last three seasons.  Payne has earned it. Some will say it’s a break out season, for others (me included) it’s the same dude I’ve been watching. High chance he proves to be worth commitment. 

Can we trade him for two stout Offensive Lineman? Would that be worth it?

23 hours ago, wit33 said:

Na according to people on here its against some kind of rule to have a lot of good players making money at one position. /s

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Did the Steelers eat the rest of his salary for this year too?  I'd feel better about the compensation if that's the case.

They did not.  There's an accelerated amount next year of around $9 mil of dead cap hit.

• Sad 1

The Commanders third-down defense is allowing only 32.8% conversions, up from 31st in 2021 to 3rd after nine games and they are bringing pressure, tied for 10th in sacks with 23 sacks.

Del Rio indeed has his defense improving, yielding 217.4 passing yards per game, which is 18th in the NFL. The rushing defense is also on the rise, tied for 12th, yielding 4.4 yards per rushing attempt. They are also at No. 1 in the NFL in rushing defense per the Football Outsiders DVOA metric.

Keep in mind this reforming and progression defensively has occurred without the second overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, defensive end Chase Young.

Did you know Jonathan Allen is third in the NFL in tackles for a loss (11)? In addition, Daron Payne is right behind Allen with 10. Montez Sweat is second in the NFL with 19 QB hits. Payne, James Smith-Williams and Allen have also produced 13, 12 and 11 QB hits respectively.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/08/defensive-coordinator-jack-del-rio-has-washington-commanders-defense-trending-upward/?taid=636a4d1d105a2a0001c98d60&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Commanders third-down defense is allowing only 32.8% conversions, up from 31st in 2021 to 3rd after nine games and they are bringing pressure, tied for 10th in sacks with 23 sacks.

Del Rio indeed has his defense improving, yielding 217.4 passing yards per game, which is 18th in the NFL. The rushing defense is also on the rise, tied for 12th, yielding 4.4 yards per rushing attempt. They are also at No. 1 in the NFL in rushing defense per the Football Outsiders DVOA metric.

Keep in mind this reforming and progression defensively has occurred without the second overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, defensive end Chase Young.

Did you know Jonathan Allen is third in the NFL in tackles for a loss (11)? In addition, Daron Payne is right behind Allen with 10. Montez Sweat is second in the NFL with 19 QB hits. Payne, James Smith-Williams and Allen have also produced 13, 12 and 11 QB hits respectively.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/08/defensive-coordinator-jack-del-rio-has-washington-commanders-defense-trending-upward/?taid=636a4d1d105a2a0001c98d60&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Where do you currently stand with how to manage the future of the Dline? 

Wonder if they will entertain paying them all? I believe they can market the team around that group. Everyone loves Allen, Young is box office all around, and Sweat/Payne seem like good locker room guys. Be creative with marketing and let these guys be the draw for next 3-5 years. 

Theres also this thing called the salary cap lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Where do you currently stand with how to manage the future of the Dline? 

Wonder if they will entertain paying them all? I believe they can market the team around that group. Everyone loves Allen, Young is box office all around, and Sweat/Payne seem like good locker room guys. Be creative with marketing and let these guys be the draw for next 3-5 years. 

Theres also this thing called the salary cap lol

The anayltic and cap talking heads think the SF model is the way to do it.  Pay 3 but not 4 and trade the 4th for an asset which can include reloading at that same spot with a younger-cheaper player.  

I was on board with that thought until now for two reasons.  I didn't think Payne warranted a monster 20 million a year contract.  He has been a good player but not elite.   He hasn't been consistent enough IMO.  The other reason is i haven't seen the D line being dominant enough to warrant the idea of lets go different because we can win considering how dominant they've been.

But my mind has changed.  Now I am for it.  Payne is now elevating his game to be almost Jonathan Allen level.   The unit looks dominant.  I'd double down on it.     This defense is a lot of fun to watch, if we just had a sembelance of an offense, they'd be winning

I'd add if there is a draft where you likely don't need a high pick to find a QB with mobility, its this one, Bo Nix, Hooker or whomever they fancy.  Similar to the Eagles taking Hurts in the 2nd round. 

The Giants are winning with Jones running more.  Jones isn't hot but adding him as a run threat along with a potent running game isn't a bad way to cheat your way to some wins until you find a franchise QB. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The anayltic and cap talking heads think the SF model is the way to do it.  Pay 3 but not 4 and trade the 4th for an asset which can include reloading at that same spot with a younger-cheaper player.  

I'm still here SIP. I think Sweat is now the odd one out and we need to get what we can for him and re-sign Payne (providing they don't think this is a contract year blip, as I already alluded to).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I'm still here SIP. I think Sweat is now the odd one out and we need to get what we can for him and re-sign Payne (providing they don't think this is a contract year blip, as I already alluded to).

Love to see what we get out of Chase when he comes back...hope im wrong but its possible that he is no where near what he was when drafted.

• Like 1