Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Kam is a beast.  Next level aggression and playmaking range.  Certainly not a coincidence that the defense looks so much better now that he's back.

We're like one player away on defense from being truly excellent once Chase gets back.  One big time corner and the defense could return to being a top five unit.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Kam is a beast.  Next level aggression and playmaking range.  Certainly not a coincidence that the defense looks so much better now that he's back.

We're like one player away on defense from being truly excellent once Chase gets back.  One big time corner and the defense could return to being a top 

Chase Young won't change anything.....big time corner....now your talking!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Chase Young won't change anything.....big time corner....now your talking!

Agreed about a corner… though by the time we have a chance to add one, will we have lost Payne?

As to Chase, I think it’s fair not to expect too much coming off the injury.  On the other hand, he’s clearly more talented than JSW, Obada and Toohill.  They are having success in part because of the support around them, and in part because they’re playing within the scheme.  If (and it’s a big if) Young can do the same, and get his form back, it’s possible he can have a significant impact.  We’ll see.

Looking to the future, a wildcard for me is Butler.  Forrest has been playing well, but I don’t see him replacing McCain.  If Butler can get on Forrest’s (and/or Kam’s) trajectory, he could represent an upgrade at FS, which could be significant behind this front.

Feels a bit like we’re going to be playing musical chairs on D though - we’re getting close, just need a piece or two more next year, but then we’re going to potentially have to replace McCain (shouldn’t be too hard), Holcomb and Payne.

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He was posting on social media last offseason about the deals being handed out to DBs. Would think he’ll be in line for big money.

I don't know if he'll get BIG money. Safeties don't really get paid unless they're Derwin James-caliber and as good as Curl is, he ain't DJ.

But he should get paid that would make him in line with the top 5 highest paid Safeties in the league.

• Like 1

Re-signing Kurl long term will be a sign that maybe a little something has changed with the front office.  He would be another in the line of players who were just starting to show their value towards the end of their rookie contracts, like Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, that didn't have the big name national media hype yet, but were already showing signs they were special.  Can't let those kinds of players walk, they are essential to creating your core.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Cole Holcomb ruled out.

Jamin Davis, who has been our most improved defender from week one to now, gets a chance to be the man with our leading tackler sidelined.

"Holcomb (foot) has been ruled out for Sunday's contest against the Colts, Nicki Jhabvala of The Washington Post reports.

Holcomb presumably picked up the foot injury during Washington's Week 7 win over Green Bay and wasn't able to practice at all during Week 8 prep. The 26-year-old is the team's leading tackler, so his absence will be a significant blow for a matchup against Jonathan Taylor and the Colts. Jon Bostic and David Mayo are both candidates for increased roles with Holcomb sidelined."

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Going Commando said:

We're like one player away on defense from being truly excellent once Chase gets back.  One big time corner and the defense could return to being a top five unit.

Agreed. Although if Chase plays well it'll make the corners look better than they are. I'm specifically thinking of Fuller. He will look much better if Chase is ready to go.

Ben St. Juste has stepped up so much more than we thought he would. QB rating when being thrown at this season is 65.8. The only game where he was in the 90's was because AJ Brown is really good. BSJ allowed only 3 catches on 9 targets, but one of those was the TD Brown bullied into getting.

Rachad Wildgoose is a pleasant surprise. He might be the best potential at slot corner we've seen in a long time. It is a small sample size though. Could not handle DeVonta Smith and AJ Brown in Philly, didn't play the next week, but was pretty good against Titans, Bears, and Packers.

• Like 1

@RandyHolt@skinny21

The Athletic has a piece saying we play Man 31.5% of the time, which is the 5th highest rate in the NFL. Funnily enough, ever since benching Jackson, our Man coverage usage has jumped to 35.3%.

The whole thing about Jackson wanting to be traded to a Man heavy team is bogus, since we are one of the most Man heavy teams. He just can't do it. Once he left, we played even more Man coverage. Jackson is just plain bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Davis probably makes the play of the day for the defense.  Curl's tackle was nasty and fired up the team.  But the play by Davis to avoid blockers and prevent a TD on the goal line was HUGE!  Glad to see him improve so much!

Yeah that's the play of his career so far. That's exactly what we drafted him for, attack the line of scrimmage and blow up plays. 

I have to admit I may have been wrong about him. I was ready to call him a bust after the first couple of games but the lightbulb has turned on. Perhaps calling him out publicly was the kick in the rear he needed.

Reg. today's game the D did its job. They did wear down a bit near the end but you can't blame them with how bad the offense was but when we needed stops, we got em. I just wish we didn't wait till the opposing offense got inside our 30 before getting takeaways but I digress. 

50 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Davis probably makes the play of the day for the defense.  Curl's tackle was nasty and fired up the team.  But the play by Davis to avoid blockers and prevent a TD on the goal line was HUGE!  Glad to see him improve so much!

I agree. I am thrilled with the improvement of Jamin Davis. Huge for this defense!

• Like 1

I missed the game. Did JDR blitz and pressure Sam or mostly rush 4 in lanes and drop 7?  I heard the guys on 106.7 imply that and that was my prediction. Washington teams always play rookies noobs the same way and its too easy to game plan for. If I know it opposition OCs know it. It worked to some extent that he only had 15 yards rushing and we won but Ill say it again - its coaching scared of someone that is a borderline NFL player. And we only barely won by the sheer studliness of TMC and... moxie.

I wish boxscores would show blitzes our average amount of rushers / per passing play. Give us some hint of the defensive game plan. I used to love Fox's under pressure stat that went to the way side.

Edited by RandyHolt

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I missed the game. Did JDR blitz and pressure Sam or mostly rush 4 in lanes and drop 7?  I heard the guys on 106.7 imply that and that was my prediction. Washington teams always play rookies the same way and its too easy to game plan for. If I know it opposition OCs know it. It worked to some extent that he only had 15 yards rushing and we won but Ill say it again - its coaching scared of someone that is a borderline NFL player. And we only barely won by the sheer studliness of TMC and... moxie.

I wish boxscores would show blitzes our average amount of rushers / per passing play. Give us some hint of the defensive game plan. I used to love Fox's under pressure stat that went to the way side.

They didn't blitz much but were getting pressure.  Ehlinger escaped about 4-5 sacks using his mobility.  The Colts were run heavy and our inept offense kept them in the game. As the game progressed, Ehlinger got more comfortable and started to hit on some stuff, including a dime on their final drive that was dropped.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

St Juste is playing well but I highly doubt he's ready for Justin Jefferson. Maybe WJ3's " back " feels better and he can come in and shut JJ down 🤣

No way I want Jackson back in the lineup. Trade him for a sixth rounder and off the team. I’m not saying he’s a malcontent but no coincidence that there has been a certain level of chemistry without him. 

We are not gonna shut him down but hopefully Fuller and St Juste can limit him. More importantly we need to limit Dalvin Cook. He is the key to limiting their offense. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:05 PM, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I agree. I am thrilled with the improvement of Jamin Davis. Huge for this defense!

also getting the tackle for a loss helped a lot.  Fourth and goal at the 1 yd line or half yd line vs the four yd line?  They might have gone for it if it was just a stuff, especially since we're not safety proof with our OL

• Like 1

So, R. Smith gets traded to the Ravens for a couple draft picks next year. Any word on whether Washington made an offer? He's a great LB who would have instantly upgraded our defense, especially since we did nothing to upgrade the position from last season. It would be upsetting to find out they didn't even call Chicago about him. I can understand though if he wanted to go to a more competitive team. 

8 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

So, R. Smith gets traded to the Ravens for a couple draft picks next year. Any word on whether Washington made an offer? He's a great LB who would have instantly upgraded our defense, especially since we did nothing to upgrade the position from last season. It would be upsetting to find out they didn't even call Chicago about him. I can understand though if he wanted to go to a more competitive team. 

It would have been a terrible trade for the Commanders in my opinion.   I don't think he is as good as his tackle numbers suggest.  He is going to want 20 million a season.   We would get Carson Wentz off the books only to add a LB who is in the second tier of LB's.  The top team of LB's are guys like Shaq Leonard, Fred Warner, and a few others.  Those guys are pretty good at all facets of LB play.   The second tier probably has a dozen to two dozen guys in it and has guys that are good at some things and then serviceable to average at others.   I'd much rather bring back Payne then lose Payne and get Roquan Smith.  And I honestly don't think we could extend Payne, Smith, and Kurl.   You can only pick two out of those three.   And Smith is the one I would pass on.  Plus you have to give up a second and fifth rounder to get him in addition to giving him 20 million a season.    If he was Shaq Leonard, Fred Warner, and Levonte David I would feel differently and would probably take him over Payne.  

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Baltimore gave up a second.  I don’t believe we can give up a second as that is potentially tied up in the Wentz compensation. So maybe they would take a conditional third and fourth if the second is not available plus the fifth.  So we’d go into the draft with only a 1st, 6th, and 7th, and potentially no Wentz or Smith on the roster to show for it.

• Like 1