Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

21 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Jamin Davis was making the calls, reads, and checks with Holcomb out. I would say he has looked a lot more comfortable in that role than when we last saw him there his rookie year. So maybe the coaches weren't wrong that he has potential to grow into a Mike linebacker? We will see. 

Wonder why they didn't let Curl continue to keep the green dot as he had done a great job in Minny and at Indy

On 11/10/2022 at 9:46 AM, Warhead36 said:

Jack Del Rio has gone from scapegoat through the first two weeks to probably getting head coach offers this off season LMAO

Pretty much, over the last 7 games has gone from "clown" to looking like the JDR of old, and even without his biggest(highest draft pick) asset in Chase Young.  Secondary still has gaps but they now feel like they can be relied upon each game.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Maybe some recognition is due for what the D-Line coaching staff have done in instilling an understanding for each d-lineman to be playing their roles within a team-related  scheme.  Coaches Zgonina and Kerrigan  are a clear upgrade over the departed Sam Mills III, and you can see the results.  There's a lot less freelancing by d-lineman seeking to up their sack totals (even Sweat).

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Jamin Davis was making the calls, reads, and checks with Holcomb out. I would say he has looked a lot more comfortable in that role than when we last saw him there his rookie year. So maybe the coaches weren't wrong that he has potential to grow into a Mike linebacker? We will see. 

Not doubting, just curious about a source/article that might explain the switch away from Curl more.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Where did he get that stat from? We're 13th in defensive DVOA. Even if you take weighted DVOA (most recent games get more weight), we're still only 12th. We are #2 against the run though, so maybe he got confused (but #20 against the pass).

image.png.c6190766655afd7f80bcd4d93912c751.png

What a unique defensive scheme last game! We were in Buffalo the entire game, we never played a Nickel corner! When we dropped down to only 1 LB, we ran a 4 safety and 2 corner unit! Speed and ability to tackle were the defensive theme. I love it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Where did he get that stat from? We're 13th in defensive DVOA. Even if you take weighted DVOA (most recent games get more weight), we're still only 12th. We are #2 against the run though, so maybe he got confused (but #20 against the pass).

image.png.c6190766655afd7f80bcd4d93912c751.png

What a unique defensive scheme last game! We were in Buffalo the entire game, we never played a Nickel corner! When we dropped down to only 1 LB, we ran a 4 safety and 2 corner unit! Speed and ability to tackle were the defensive theme. I love it!

I mentioned it in the game thread, I hate ESPN’s coverage.  It’s difficult to see what the personnel is.  McCain played the slot with Curl and Forest.  I saw Reaves in on that last play.  Was he mostly the 4th safety?  

Edit;  ha ha, you posted the snap counts.  I missed it.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

AQ Shipley on Pat McAfee show just now was raving about Payne and Allen. Called them game wreckers who basically won us the game yesterday. No doubt they're great but I don't think they've gotten much credit for yesterday but they were dominant against a real good Eagle OL.

We need to resign Payne.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Zim489 said:

I just can’t understand paying two top contracts to DTs. While one top of paying at least one of Sweat or Chase. It’s just way too much money into one positional grouping 

Unless you have an elite QB sucking up all your salary cap space, there is no excuse for not paying players. The salary cap is only going up more and more with new TV contracts and gambling money coming in. And we're about to have Bezos money.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The game last night was the first where the secondary really seemed to take the lead.  The D-line wasn't bad, they stopped what little of the run the Eagles attempted, but I also wouldn't say Hurts was under much duress during his pass attempts until the 4th quarter.  Up until then he was mostly throwing in a clean pocket, and the secondary was either breaking up passes or making tackles to keep the shorter passes from gaining YAC.  I said after the first match up between these two teams that I felt Hurts was capable, but being overrated by the national media due to the team built around him.  He threw a lot of passes into traffic (the 50/50 balls) in the first game and his WRs made him look very good for doing so, but in this game a lot of those same kinds of passes were instead break ups, or INTs instead of catches.   

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The game last night was the first where the secondary really seemed to take the lead.  The D-line wasn't bad, they stopped what little of the run the Eagles attempted, but I also wouldn't say Hurts was under much duress during his pass attempts until the 4th quarter.  Up until then he was mostly throwing in a clean pocket, and the secondary was either breaking up passes or making tackles to keep the shorter passes from gaining YAC.  I said after the first match up between these two teams that I felt Hurts was capable, but being overrated by the national media due to the team built around him.  He threw a lot of passes into traffic (the 50/50 balls) in the first game and his WRs made him look very good for doing so, but in this game a lot of those same kinds of passes were instead break ups, or INTs instead of catches.   

Hurts is hard to sack. I think the gameplan was to maintain disciplined pass rush lanes so he couldn't take off and run and as a result we didn't really get killed by Hurts's legs(his longest run was, what, 10 yards?).

I think we're gonna see the pass rush feast against a bad Texan OL and QB this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Unless you have an elite QB sucking up all your salary cap space, there is no excuse for not paying players. The salary cap is only going up more and more with new TV contracts and gambling money coming in. And we're about to have Bezos money.

And Id rather pay that money to other positions to spread the talent out. An Orlando Brown Erik Mccoy Jessie Bates Mike Gesecki Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. 

As the great Wu Tang Clan said years ago " Ya gotta diversify yo bonds" 

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

And Id rather pay that money to other positions to spread the talent out. An Orlando Brown Erik Mccoy Jessie Bates Mike Gesecki Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. 

As the great Wu Tang Clan said years ago " Ya gotta diversify yo bonds" 

Sure, but most of those guys probably won't be available for us anyway.

The contracts for our DL will be spread out anyway so you're really not stacking all your money in one position as much as people think. Allen will be two years into his contract by the time Payne signs his. Its pretty staggered.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Sure, but most of those guys probably won't be available for us anyway.

The contracts for our DL will be spread out anyway so you're really not stacking all your money in one position as much as people think. Allen will be two years into his contract by the time Payne signs his. Its pretty staggered.

Who says they wont be. Also you get roll over if you dont spend it. Paying two DTs top money is just wrong at every level. Just because you have the money doesnt mean you should spend it. Its not good team building dumping money into one position group. If they want to non exclusive tag him and tell him to seek a deal else where that would honestly be the best thing. Get something back for him. 

I am also significantly lower on Payne than most. I hated him in the draft process. I hated the pick the moment it leaked out by Bruce on a plane back in 18 that he was going to the pick in March. I hated when it happened. I hated that we never even attempted to move him to get a good return. Hes an ok 0-1T. Doesnt produce there. Not good with Double teams. Often loses 1v1s vs larger players than himself. Takes snaps from JA as the 3T forcing him into a 1T which should be an arrestable offense. Its been a mistake for years. Hopefully it ends soon. Let him go sign else where way too much money to be a pretty good 3T. We have a significantly better one already signed on the team long term.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1