Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I guess so.  I'm not sure, I looked at the tape and while it's easy to write Ehlinger off as a 6th round pick, he looks like he has enough...um, moxie like Heinicke does....to be a problem.

Being a WVU Mountaineer fan, we play Texas every year. Therefore I got to watch a decent bit of Ehlinger. He's a decent passer. He's stout, he's tough, he runs hard. Scrambles very well. Which could really hurt us. However it's always so difficult to determine how a good college qb's game will translate to the NFL. Hopefully in this case it translates terribly ( for one game ) and then I couldn't care less 🤣

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Problem with these types of games is that Indy isn't going to give our defense that many chances to make big pays. 

They will run the ball and use a horizontal passing game. 

All 3 of their RBs can catch the ball and guys like Paris Campbell/Alec Pierce can make plays in the open field. 

Defense has to wrap up and contain the edges. 

Another problem for this game is Indy getting their best defensive player back just in time for us. Darius Leonard. Wish he could have waited one more week before coming back. Lol.

• Like 1

Anyone know our record vs rookie QBs in the 2Ks? I know at one point we were 0-10 and then finally beat Philly's punk ass Foles in 2014 when Haslett all but gave up his failed schemes and red dog blitzed from the first snap.  We always played bend dont break against them and it was maddening to watch. Expect us to do the same on Sunday because history says that's how we roll. We give the rookie lots of snaps the thinking he will eventually screw up. It doesn't work as rookie QBs are now utilized to their strengths and can hang.

I would like to see a list of the 10 rookies. I know Josh Johnson is in there.

7 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Nope

Bend dont break. Book it.

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Except this QB isn't a rookie.

For all intensive purposes without ever having thrown a single pass he is damn close to a rookie.

Ironically those rookies we lost to in that 0-10 run had more experience than him. FAR more because it wasn't anyones first game ever. I think.

I am happy to replace rookie with noob. Our collective defensive coordinators soft approach towards noobs failed -they all followed the same failed script. I am almost willing to bet JDR will too coach scared of him because of his wheels and will rush in lanes drop DBs and force the kid to make 15 plays to score. Which I am convinced history will show was not a problem for noobs to beat a soft zone and then have a quick pass / screen dialed up for when we predictably blitzed once they get inside our 20.

Edited by RandyHolt

19 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I dont see Chase back before the Texans game. If we can stumble to .500 by that game Rivera will think we can beat both the Texans and Falcons. Alternatively If we end up 3-7 instead, he’s not seeing the field IMO. Season will get shutdown.

I think you almost have to play him no matter what to get some kinda feel for what you have in him moving into next off season. If he looks really good in even a small ~5 game sample size you can exercise his 5th year option or even try to discuss a long term extension(could get him for cheaper).

He's supposed to be a foundational piece for our team for the foreseeable future. We have to see what we have in him even if we're out of playoff contention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think you almost have to play him no matter what to get some kinda feel for what you have in him moving into next off season. If he looks really good in even a small ~5 game sample size you can exercise his 5th year option or even try to discuss a long term extension(could get him for cheaper).

He's supposed to be a foundational piece for our team for the foreseeable future. We have to see what we have in him even if we're out of playoff contention.

I believe his 5th year option will be in the 16-17mil range due to his pro bowl selection. Pretty sure that is fully guaranteed. That appears quite the risk at this stage of his contract heading towards the end of year three. 

I get your point though, it’s a tough call IMO.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I believe his 5th year option will be in the 16-17mil range due to his pro bowl selection. Pretty sure that is fully guaranteed. That appears quite the risk at this stage of his contract heading towards the end of year three. 

I get your point though, it’s a tough call IMO.

Yeah but I feel like its a risk you kinda have to take, unless he just looks REALLY bad coming off injury.

If he plays the last say 5 games and puts up a sack a game or something like that then you have to exercise the option and/or try to work out a long term deal, although his agent will probably want him to play a full season to increase his value.

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah, if he’s healthy, you have to play him.  Now, maybe you have him on a snap count for an extended period of time, and maybe he has some sort of set back, but you have to 1) give him time to get his feet wet and build his confidence, and 2) you have to use this time to get him the valuable experience he needs to improve his game.  That’s my thinking anyway.

Self proclaimed fantasy guru Jeff Mans said we are still running man 40% of the time and that is a terrible for our personnel. Said "I really doesn't know what they are doing there in Washington". Made no mention of Will Jackson but likely what he was referring to. Said Fuller is primed to get torched by Pittman even with a noob QB. DFS folks may be interested to know he said Lamb and Tyreek/Waddle will feast. Hardly a tough prediction but is strictly targeting pathetic corners/systems.

Edited by RandyHolt

8 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Self proclaimed fantasy guru Jeff Mans said we are still running man 40% of the time and that is a terrible for our personnel. Said "I really doesn't know what they are doing there in Washington". Made no mention of Will Jackson but likely what he was referring to. Said Fuller is primed to get torched by Pittman even with a noob QB. DFS folks may be interested to know he said Lamb and Tyreek/Waddle will feast. Hardly a tough prediction but is strictly targeting pathetic corners/systems.

I have no idea about the 40% piece, but yes, man is not Fuller’s strength.  However, St Juste and Curl are good in man, and Wildgoose has seemed to hold his own.  Man coverage against a qb that is likely to run a bunch (Ehlinger) could result in some big runs though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I have no idea about the 40% piece, but yes, man is not Fuller’s strength.  However, St Juste and Curl are good in man, and Wildgoose has seemed to hold his own.  Man coverage against a qb that is likely to run a bunch (Ehlinger) could result in some big runs though.

I agree Curl and St J are good and all have looked better since Will got benched injured but I think we have all also seen in recent weeks... we have suddenly have a pass rush!  That is huge WRT DBs as we all know. No DB can cover forever blah blah. I think JDR will coach afraid of Ehlinger's wheels and have our DL rush in contain him to the pocket mode. Before Tenn we'd see the odd DL get a sack here or there but from the 1st snap vs Tenn it sure looked like Sweat was shot out of a cannon. And the others too IMO.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

What is DFS?