Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

9 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I'm still here SIP. I think Sweat is now the odd one out and we need to get what we can for him and re-sign Payne (providing they don't think this is a contract year blip, as I already alluded to).

I'd love to keep all 4 including Sweat.

I wouldn't call myself a critic of Payne over the years, I've liked him but not loved him but I thought he was a bit overhyped by some.  Part of it for me is wanting Fitzpatrick, James, Vea over him and by most accounts all three of those players have been better than Payne granted we could have only drafted one of them over Payne because the other two went before the pick.

I spent a lot of time studying the D line, posted many clips on the board over the years.  And i am not an expert but hey like everyone here I ride with what I see.  And I think the biggest misperception about Payne IMO is he played nose so much that he didn't have a chance to play 3 technique and when he did he killed it.  From my observation, Payne played 3 technique plenty and he sometimes killed it but was very inconsistent.  Some games he'd be dominant and others he'd be as quiet as a mouse and yes could be shut down by good guards.

But THIS version of Payne, I love.  Granted I've not rewatched these games yet but watching him in real time, he's been dominant consistently.  Playing great.

I've loved Jonathan Allen for the most part from the jump and I think he's right now a top 5 DT.  

I like Sweat more than most.  Great run stopper.  Brings pressure.

And going back to before we drafted him, I've been an obsessive Chase Young fanboy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Love to see what we get out of Chase when he comes back...hope im wrong but its possible that he is no where near what he was when drafted.

And judging by JSW’s production, it’s going to be even harder for him to make a noticeable impact.  And do we see a difference in terms of playing within the scheme?

With that said, with his athleticism (who knows where it stands right now though), maybe we see more of a conversion of pressures to actual impact plays.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Where do you currently stand with how to manage the future of the Dline? 

Wonder if they will entertain paying them all? I believe they can market the team around that group. Everyone loves Allen, Young is box office all around, and Sweat/Payne seem like good locker room guys. Be creative with marketing and let these guys be the draw for next 3-5 years. 

Theres also this thing called the salary cap lol

There's enough money for everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Only with a rookie QB. There are too many holes elsewhere otherwise.

Who is going to break our bank this year? 

Curl and Payne? Curl will get a Maye/Williams type of deal. Payne will get a contract that pushes off the money. 

We need to draft a CB early and have 2 CBs on rookie deals and not a lot of money in the QB, which is all doable.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I think some of our free agents (esp Payne) may hesitate to ink a deal quite yet simply bc the 2023 coaching staff is an unknown. Yes a new owner should help with that, but maybe not enough to convince him to stay. And will our current FO even pursue that if they think their days are numbered?

8 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I expect our rushing (and overall) defensive ranking to drop a good bit after Monday night.

Oh no, did you say Monday night?

I always flash back to that horrific Monday night when we announced in pregame that Donovan "One Hop" McNubb has gotten a huge extension and then got blown out by Philly in epic (even for us) fashion. And we were at home, of course.

• Haha 1

So do we think its things "clicking" for Daron Payne and his pass rush, kind of how Jon Allen's taken it to another level ever year? 

Or is Payne a guy who operates at 80% most of the time and we are seeing the 100% because of that bag? 

My gut says the former, hes made monster plays - his burst and strength are unreal. I dont watch film much anymore. What do you guys think? 

This week was a big benchmark in St. Juste's development. I commented earlier in the year how he was "good enough to be in position for someone else's highlight" and needed to finish more plays. Last week we saw him getting his head around and making more plays on passes thrown his way; including the called back pick 6. That's good! But he has to keep improving. He should have more confidence now after having pretty good coverage on one of the NFL's best receivers. Philly will have no problem testing that confidence. I expect / hope to see him finish more plays this week. Getting that INT back would be great. His post game interview showed me he understands that he has more work to do. He and Jamin are two players showing a lot of growth this year. The defense has surprised me with how well they've grown as a unit.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Go all in on the Dline and market the heck out of them. Let them become the faces of the franchise. 

Come on, go against the grain. Empower these dudes like Ravens with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs and the rest early 2000s. 

#signtheDline

Edited by wit33

7 hours ago, IrepDC said:

This week was a big benchmark in St. Juste's development. I commented earlier in the year how he was "good enough to be in position for someone else's highlight" and needed to finish more plays. Last week we saw him getting his head around and making more plays on passes thrown his way; including the called back pick 6. That's good! But he has to keep improving. He should have more confidence now after having pretty good coverage on one of the NFL's best receivers. Philly will have no problem testing that confidence. I expect / hope to see him finish more plays this week. Getting that INT back would be great. His post game interview showed me he understands that he has more work to do. He and Jamin are two players showing a lot of growth this year. The defense has surprised me with how well they've grown as a unit.

St Juste has to be the shock of the draft for last year. Did not see this impact coming.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It’s always been incredibly important, but in todays NFL dominating the opposing teams run game is the only way to have your defense lead you to the playoffs. You can’t just be good, must completely obliterate the run game, then you have a chance to compete even against the elite. 

Further evidence to keep the group together. I’ll continue to pound the idea to market the team around these guys for the next 3-5 seasons. If a gem QB comes about and supplants them as the face of the franchise, all the better. 

Pay them and work around them financially like teams do with an elite QB. This is a unique situation (4 freaks at each position) and requires outside the box thinking. As a fan, this will keep me tuned in and with some creative marketing backed with stellar play the youth and casuals will follow. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 2:06 PM, Chris 44 said:

St Juste has to be the shock of the draft for last year. Did not see this impact coming.

And he call the field the "pitch"

On 11/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Who is going to break our bank this year? 

Curl and Payne? Curl will get a Maye/Williams type of deal. Payne will get a contract that pushes off the money. 

We need to draft a CB early and have 2 CBs on rookie deals and not a lot of money in the QB, which is all doable.

If they can hit on another CB late in the draft that would be huge.  Wildgoose may have a future here though.  

Jamin Davis was making the calls, reads, and checks with Holcomb out. I would say he has looked a lot more comfortable in that role than when we last saw him there his rookie year. So maybe the coaches weren't wrong that he has potential to grow into a Mike linebacker? We will see. 

• Like 3