Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

The physicality in the secondary with current line up looks tough. Continue to crush the opponents run game and compete in the pass game. 

Forrest

Curl

St, Juste

Fuller

Mccain

Love the current ROI of this line up. This is the type of secondary you build around 4 high paid Dlinemen. 

Fuller is coming up on the end of his deal and is entering his 30s. I think CB round 1 is the most likely for the draft this year if were drafting in the middle to late teens like expected. Mccain is pretty mehh for a FS. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Fuller is coming up on the end of his deal and is entering his 30s. I think CB round 1 is the most likely for the draft this year if were drafting in the middle to late teens like expected. Mccain is pretty mehh for a FS. 

For sure, I should’ve expounded on the point a bit more. I like the asset allocation and overall cost of that group. They appear to be performing well by all measures and it’s not like they’re high draft picks or highly paid guys (Fuller being the exception to a degree). Move Fuller along and shift money to Curl either this or next off season. 

I’m totally out on paying another teams secondary player. The variance in level of play for a secondary player makes it too risky to invest 4-6% of a seasons cap to a guy. I get maybe rewarding a Washington player that the organization has history with and great experience in a particular scheme. 

I’m all for keeping the entire Dline together, so bias in any way to make it happen. A cheap secondary increases opportunity to do so. Continue to develop and let guys move along as needed. 

Keep the 4 freaks!

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

I’m all for keeping the entire Dline together, so bias in any way to make it happen. A cheap secondary increases opportunity to do so. Continue to develop and let guys move along as needed. 

This is where you lose me. Just too much capital into one position group. Especially once you get deep into the playoffs where a Good QB and a Good coaching staff can scheme out a Defensive line. Spread that money around to your LBs, secondary, and offense instead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

For sure, I should’ve expounded on the point a bit more. I like the asset allocation and overall cost of that group. They appear to be performing well by all measures and it’s not like they’re high draft picks or highly paid guys (Fuller being the exception to a degree). Move Fuller along and shift money to Curl either this or next off season. 

I’m totally out on paying another teams secondary player. The variance in level of play for a secondary player makes it too risky to invest 4-6% of a seasons cap to a guy. I get maybe rewarding a Washington player that the organization has history with and great experience in a particular scheme. 

Keep the 4 freaks!

Thinking familiarity in the system and with each other is beginning to pay huge dividends this year with this line up. Seen time and again how bringing in an already established higher end DB does not always pay dividends. I think its generally due to having played a different scheme and trying to learn a different scheme surrounded by unfamiliar players. Sometimes it just takes time, determination and consistency.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Thinking familiarity in the system and with each other is beginning to pay huge dividends this year with this line up. Seen time and again how bringing in an already established higher end DB does not always pay dividends. I think its generally due to having played a different scheme and trying to learn a different scheme surrounded by unfamiliar players. Sometimes it just takes time, determination and consistency.

If the defense closes the year strong, a great deal of credit must be throw Ron’s way for coming through on his side of the ball. The defense is where high ROI on the field was expected when hired. He’s already proven his intangibles to be through the roof; the way the team responds and the overall professionalism has soared since taking over.

Ive wavered at times with Ron, but highly encouraged by the defense and an overall disciplined team. I have not checked penalties, but I’ve come to expect the team to play a “clean” game overall. A big part of escaping mediocrity in the NFL is not beating yourself, it seems Washington is headed this direction. 

I just watched Darrick Forrest with Tress Way on Hang Time. After hearing the young man talk I am certain he has at least a pro bowl in his future, if not All pro. He's the real deal, thank goodness for us he was a late bloomer when it comes to playing safety - or we wouldn't have been able to draft him where he was

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

One thing Rivera has always had going for him is the ability to develop mid round draft pick DBs. Did it in Carolina with Norman and Bradberry. Seems to be doing it again with St. Juste and Forrest here. I'd avoid spending big on FAs at those positions and just keep trying to draft em.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

One thing Rivera has always had going for him is the ability to develop mid round draft pick DBs. Did it in Carolina with Norman and Bradberry. Seems to be doing it again with St. Juste and Forrest here. I'd avoid spending big on FAs at those positions and just keep trying to draft em.

I would tend to agree as it is risk or boom w free agent corners. Look at Jackson or Bradberry who the Giants just flat out released. Who knows how Percy or Holmes will develop and while St Juste will be fine as our #1, we could use a solid #2 which is easier to find through the draft or free agency. 

19 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Hahaha I went to post and then what I wrote initially disappeared.   Political reference - No place for that here!!  

How hard is it to keep politics out of the Stadium?  It's all over the place that its seriously against the rules! There is even a post pinned to the top of the stadium as a reminder! Part of why we come here is to get away from that garbage! Just stop it! Please! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I bet our old friend Ronald Darby will be cut by the Broncos after season. He was banged up last year and he is out this year with a torn ACL. He's a guy who has missed a lot of time in his NFL career. He'd be a good buy low starter (already bought low on him once). Would give us a #2 corner as we draft and groom someone else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I was one of the ones who thought it was good that JDR called out Jamin after the Jax game. Gotta give credit to Jamin to man up and I’m looking forward to him eventually making himself into a pro bowl lb!

Skinsfan93: 

"I was one of the ones who thought it was good that JDR called out Jamin after the Jax game."

I was one of the ones who thought publicly talking about such things ran the risk of losing the players respect and attention.

I was clearly wrong.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Just heard an interesting stat on The Junkies, this is the #2 rush defense that has faced the #4 rushing teams.  Definitely has turned out to be a playoff D.

This is key for next week. The Houston offense runs the ball well, but that's about all they do well. Their rookie RB is pretty fun to watch. Some gang tackling is necessary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zim489 said:

McCain has been shifted somewhat to Nickel/FS. Really curious how him and Forrest swap their roles and how much they do it in game. That said, I fully agree. A round 1 CB is a good option, especially with supposed good talent at CB in the upcoming draft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Enjoy your week off 🥳

I didn't enjoy mine, that's for sure. It was horrible. For huge lifelong fans, who come on here atleast 10 times a day, seven days is an eternity. When my daughter messes up one time at school, she doesn't get immediately expelled or immediately suspended a massive, unfathomable, preposterous 7 days. She gets a verbal warning first. Most jobs are the same way. Starts with a verbal warning. I know it's posted, not to do it. Employee handbooks do the same thing. You still get a verbal warning for most offences. I guess what I'm saying is that I find it unbelievably harsh and strict. I missed out on all of the big Snyder news, Vikings gameday thread, and some other things. It was painful for me but there wasn't anything that I could do about it. I made a mistake but there was no bad intent or malice involved. I didn't know I was going to be obliterated by a humongous suspension. Oh well.

• Haha 2

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^ probably should’ve left that one alone 👀 

ok, so to bring this train back on track: chase young, who here thinks he gets activated finally, and who here thinks he gets shut down for the season?  

I think he sits out this week and then we see him in very limited action the rest of the season, but I don’t know ****.

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Mod edit puffery

Enjoy this week off too for violating another section of rule 18👍.

Btw, per your promotion on the depth of your fanhood and tales of family life: everyone here is a fan who's in pretty deep and most have families. But maybe you're special in other ways.

11 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Fuller seems like he's been around forever, but he's actually only 27.   But yes, he only has 1 year left and drafting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round this year makes sense.

4 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Fuller seems like he's been around forever, but he's actually only 27.   But yes, he only has 1 year left and drafting a CB in the 1st or 2nd round this year makes sense.

I get into this all the time in the QB thread, but I'll stress it here. Why does the round drafted matter? We have Holmes from last year's 7th and will probably draft more. But we've shown an ability to find corners later in the draft so I would not say we're dependent on that. 

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I get into this all the time in the QB thread, but I'll stress it here. Why does the round drafted matter? We have Holmes from last year's 7th and will probably draft more. But we've shown an ability to find corners later in the draft so I would not say we're dependent on that. 

It's a little pet peave of mine too, fans are always saying they like so and so but we gotta draft a (insert position here) in the first this year.

The best teams in the league have multiple stars drafted in the 4th round and later.

Drafting higher certainly increases your odds but you can get elite talent anywhere in the draft.