Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

For sure. Just not with the Commanders. He had 7 sacks his rookie year. He had 1 last year. He’s not going to produce this year (more than likely). 

Doesn’t the team have to decide this off-season if they’re going to pick up his 5th year option? Based on what? 10 or so sacks in 3 years?!?

He has to explode next year, his 4th season… to get an extension from this team. Otherwise, are you really going to commit $20M/year to him???? What’s he even worth right now?

Hopefully he’s hitting his stride come Paloffs and we really have what we thought.  Then hopefully, he’ll ride the momentum of pt in 22 to a play and get paid season.  I’m m excited about the prospects of that.  We have to learn to trust in the development of our picks …we’ve been known to treat ours like pop tarts.  The grass isn’t always greener and we have to start developing a rep for paying our guys… that’s winning culture

Edited by Stone Cold
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Signing all 4 would be serious strain on the ability to build the rest of the Defense. A defense in this day and age should never go above 50% of the cap space.

It appears you’re operating with arbitrary numbers and constraints. This is a unique situation requiring creative thinking. Throw the 50% number out and explore the situation at hand and best address it. What if it’s you exceed that 50% number for 3 seasons, then it drops below 50% again.

The cap percentage flowing with the talent in the Dline makes sense.

Still think its an utter mistake to sign Payne long term. Sweat plays a more vital position and is honestly better at his job than Payne is at his. Then you hope Chase gets back to form. 

This seems like you’re holding tightly to a previous conclusion relating to Payne. There’s no way anyone can say getting rid of Payne from we’ve witnessed from the dude in his age 25 season is the right thing to do. The Dline is the main cog why Washington is pointing in direction to join the top 3rd of the league. 

The "but the cap is going up" will be included with contract negotiations. You wont be able to fit any more players under the cap. The %s will be the same with inflated numbers. Its a non factor. 

The idea would be you’re negotiating against present day deals and locking in a guy for a number of years while guys in future top that deal. For example, If Payne secures a $20mil per season deal, then others in following seasons will use his contract as the bottom in negotiations looking to top it.  

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Buffalo, Philly, Miami, SF, and Cincy all spend more on defense than offense.

All have cheap QBs. I like this model if you don’t have the elite QB. Obviously Hurts and Allen are finishing up their rookie deals and that will change things down the road. 

39 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Transition Tag Payne for 1-year and groom the replacement. Cut Wentz and sign TH for a ham sandwhich and a case of Busch. Net Positive.

Sell me on the transition tag versus the nonexclusive franchise tag.  From what I can tell, the difference is only 2.5M but there is no compensation if another team signs him.

I do understand the escalation of a second tag.

7 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Just based on what I heard… his first step was supposed to be transcendent.

And coming from Ohio state, he was tabbed as better than the Bosas (ie. from a technical aspect).  

And I have only seen an incredible first step once…. last preseason against the Pats.

Hes a stout player…. but he’s not quick twitch at all. He doesn’t bend. And he still is under developed in moves and counter moves.

I just don’t see anything special about him.

We'll see where he's at now, but he was one of the most explosive ends I've ever seen.  The first game I watched him, bowl game against Washington sophomore year, I thought he was a safety or an undersized linebacker at first from his movement skills.  He's 6'5 265 with little man movement ability.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Going Commando said:

We'll see where he's at now, but he was one of the most explosive ends I've ever seen.  The first game I watched him, bowl game against Washington sophomore year, I thought he was a safety or an undersized linebacker at first from his movement skills.  He's 6'5 265 with little man movement ability.

Yeah I recall the day where I watched 4 games of Chase in a row from college and was smitten, after that I kept saying that's the guy we want on the draft thread.  great bend and he had a special diagnal way to get to the QB with little wasted movement as Urban Meyer pointed out once in a pregame focus on him.  The thing that killed me about him was how often he was disruptive, it was play after play after play.

I am guessing he won't be in full form until next season.  But if he finds that form, I think he still has plenty chance to be special - considering among other things reading about him he has the desire to be great and big time so.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

The mariota-London connection is non-existent. if there’s a game on the calendar which we could afford some injuries to the secondary it’s this one. 

that said, the falcons are definitely not the Texans and theyre right in the thick of the playoff hunt. A win here would be bigger than most would give us credit for.

• Like 2

Sucks about St Juste being out but no Falcons receiver scares me other than Pitts at TE. Mariotta needs to be contained from running and we should be fine on defense. 

As for the argument about keeping Payne or Sweat, I think a lot has to do with how Chase looks coming back. If he regains his rookie form, then it’s easier to let Sweat go, bring in a rookie with Toohill, Smith-Williams and Obada playing a lot. I was initially against resigning Payne but a line of him, Jonathan, Mathis and Ridgeway is awfully good right up the middle. 

22 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Sucks about St Juste being out but no Falcons receiver scares me other than Pitts at TE. Mariotta needs to be contained from running and we should be fine on defense. 

well good new for you then.  Pitts is out for Falcons

• Thumb up 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, Renegade7 said:

QBs aren't cheap, especially if they aren't on Rookie contracts.

We need to all be on same page any money we get back from cutting Wentz is already spent on his replacement, no eligible to be used elsewhere like the dline. 

Why do you think we will spend 28ml on Wentzs’ replacement? If TH plays great and gets us in the playoffs, just pay his salary next year along with the rookie QB you have now. Maybe we learned a valuable lesson with the Wentz signing. Look at Denver. Tons of money and draft capital for Wilson? Dought if we will get a top QB prospect in the draft so what do you do? Am I wrong in thinking we could have had Mariota for peanuts in comparison to the Wentz deal?