Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

On 11/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, Est.1974 said:

Chase is the odd man out for me when talking DL retention. In fact I’d let him play 2023 without taking the option up, I don’t see how you can risk that when it guarantees for injury.

Get Payne locked in, then see what return we can get on Sweat. I personally wouldn’t worry too much if he played out 2023 on his option too and we decided thereafter. He doesn’t appear to be a lockdown cornerstone of the future D to me.

Our interior DL strength is far superior to that on the Edge IMO. 

Agree 100%. CY has to came back and play lights out imo. He has to be better than Watt from Pitt or has has to go. I was against the pick when we made it and his play along with this season of no production has done nothing to change my mind. Being the 2 pick in the draft he will want ultra big bucks and I do not see any reason to keep him based on his past performance. I thought he would end up like Clooney, going from team to team. 

• Thumb down 2

On 11/23/2022 at 2:16 PM, Die Hard said:

Just based on what I heard… his first step was supposed to be transcendent.

And coming from Ohio state, he was tabbed as better than the Bosas (ie. from a technical aspect).  

And I have only seen an incredible first step once…. last preseason against the Pats.

Hes a stout player…. but he’s not quick twitch at all. He doesn’t bend. And he still is under developed in moves and counter moves.

I just don’t see anything special about him. Agree100%. I was against the pick when we made it as I saw nothing special about him when he went up against a decent big 10 starting OT. He has one move, a bull rush and that is fine against a college journeymen O lineman but you need more to beat a plus 300 lb professional OT who gets paid big bucks to stop you. 

27 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Why do you think we will spend 28ml on Wentzs’ replacement? If TH plays great and gets us in the playoffs, just pay his salary next year along with the rookie QB you have now. Maybe we learned a valuable lesson with the Wentz signing. Look at Denver. Tons of money and draft capital for Wilson? Dought if we will get a top QB prospect in the draft so what do you do? Am I wrong in thinking we could have had Mariota for peanuts in comparison to the Wentz deal?

I have my doubts we draft a rookie QB with a roster built to win right now.

Taylor was horrible today, Mariota lost the game for Atlanta, so hard pass in him, too.

27 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We can keep everyone, especially if/when we get a starting QB on a rookie contract.

I believe we draft when we do, at this point that's what I want as well, jus seems like it will be hard with way this roster is build right now and still having yet to win a playoff game.  I'm not convinced he will have no pressure on him if he gets bounced first round and still no longterm answer at QB. Putting this off is clearly holding us back.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's still only gonna be 24 going into his fourth season. Super young. 

I think people are writing the book on Young way too prematurely. 

It’s more about the big decisions we have to make about his contract (5th year option) than his career potential. The timing has just been awful in terms of gaining the information we need about him to confidently move forward 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's still only gonna be 24 going into his fourth season. Super young. 

I think people are writing the book on Young way too prematurely. 

28 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s more about the big decisions we have to make about his contract (5th year option) than his career potential. The timing has just been awful in terms of gaining the information we need about him to confidently move forward 

Thank you. It’s about making a long-term commitment based on what exactly? And what’s Chase going to be asking for (term and dollars)?? It’s not going to be a team-friendly number.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Conn said:

You pick up the 5th year option and defer all decisions until after next year.  

Worst case he’s done because of the injury and you’re stuck with the 5th year.  

Best case you can extend him any time you want after that.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, that’s just a large cap number that you can’t reduce if there are other moves you want to make. It’s unwieldy on the cap, but doable. It’s just a lot to pay to find out about him, is all. To need to do that is disappointing after three seasons. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The team has to make a decision on the 5th year option next May (23). 

Chase’s cap hit for last year’s garbage half-year performance was $6.2M. For 5 games this year…. we have a $7.8M cap hit. Given the team’s ROI, regardless of circumstance, it’s poor.

His cap hit for next year is $9.4M. And the 5th-year option is $11M.

He hasn’t shown anything close to being worth that kind of money for the next 2 years. He’s going to have to explode next year to justify it even the slightest. And there no reason to be confident at all.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Of the LBs available to us last year, are any of them playing better than Jamin Davis right now? This is a good example of the difference between a bust and a player needing some time to develop. Hopefully we all distinguish the difference between the two better moving forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Of the LBs available to us last year, are any of them playing better than Jamin Davis right now? This is a good example of the difference between a bust and a player needing some time to develop. Hopefully we all distinguish the difference between the two better moving forward. 

I think Nick Bolton is once again having a really good year in KC. JOK and Werner seem to be doing okay also. But Nick Bolton plays for probably the best team in the NFL, Werner plays next to Demario Davis (makes his job a lot easier) and JOK is a different player anyways. So all in all I don't think we can safely say that any of them would have been better than Davis, especially when you consider that Davis has shown so much growth recently and is athletically more gifted than all of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

haha the sad part of this play.. Falcons have 5 people blocking 2 people... technically you should have all of these "free" defensive players who can fly to the ball and tackle...  this play resulted in a major rush gain for the Falcons.

4 hours ago, sjinhan said:

haha the sad part of this play.. Falcons have 5 people blocking 2 people... technically you should have all of these "free" defensive players who can fly to the ball and tackle...  this play resulted in a major rush gain for the Falcons.

Bostic sat back on his heels and let the combo get to him. Early in the game, Bostic shot the gap when they doubled Payne and stopped the run, but he didn't keep it up as the game went on and started waiting for blockers.

• Like 1