Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Terry is just gonna have a HUGE year, if he stays healthy. 

agree.  I know it sounds boring to tout an established player but Terry to my eyes was the clear standout player in the practices I watched.

Actually for the most part all the WRs looked good in the practices I watched.  It's going to be a tough call at that spot.  I wonder if Deandre Carter has a decent shot considering he can return both kicks and punts. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

agree.  I know it sounds boring to tout an established player but Terry to my eyes was the clear standout player in the practices I watched.

Actually for the most part all the WRs looked good in the practices I watched.  It's going to be a tough call at that spot.  I wonder if Deandre Carter has a decent shot considering he can return both kicks an punts. 

With all things being equal it may come down to who can toss the ball back to the coach better. Terry in that last video did not execute the toss very well, high and outside (he may be on the outside looking in).

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I am extremely glad there is only one McLaurin in the division.  Amari Cooper was supposed to be what McLaurin likely will be, and no idea why Cooper didn't make that next jump.

Cooper is a really good player, great route runner.  I put my money on Terry because IMO of his elite intangibles.    I was just listening to an interview of him on 106.7.  He as always comes off really smart, classy and flat out said he wants to be the best in everything he does.  It also doesn't hurt to have 4.35 speed. 

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/after-impressive-training-camp-fan-favorite-terry-mclaurin-wants-to-continue-building-on-success/article_dc452219-b9a9-5861-86e5-0f3b02c3c8a5.html

Thursday at training camp, Terry McLaurin beat his defender in stride and caught a deep shot from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Coach Ron Rivera said the two seemed to click well on those vertical plays. Friday during 11-on-11s, the wide receiver caught deep passes twice more.

Earlier during Friday’s morning session, McLaurin cut to the outside, went airborne on the fade from Fitzpatrick and dropped his toes just inside the back end zone boundary.

“He’s smooth out there,” quarterback Taylor Heinicke said on Friday. “When he runs his routes, it’s a thing of beauty.”

McLaurin is one of the fan favorites. That’s no surprise after the Ohio State product emerged as Washington’s No. 1 receiver in 2019, and improved upon his production level last season. On each occasion when McLaurin secured a pass this week, the fans gathered at the Richmond facility erupted into cheers. The wide receiver was one of two players who thanked those who came out to Saturday’s Fan Appreciation Day, the other being Chase Young.

For his third year of training camp, McLaurin came to Richmond looking to build on his past years’ success.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to have success my first two years, but I got to come out with a new-year-I-got-something-to-prove mentality,” McLaurin said. “That’s how I’ve always been.”

Saturday, as the Washington Football Team wrapped up its time in Richmond and headed back to its facility in Ashburn for the remainder of training camp, coach Ron Rivera reflected on McLaurin’s performance.

Last year, the wideout caught Rivera’s attention immediately, the coach said. This year, he’s “been more impressive.” Fitzpatrick’s passes have air on them, Rivera said, and that plays into McLaurin’s strengths because he’s been very good at adjusting to balls once they’re thrown. In particular, Rivera said McLaurin has shown that during the past few days at training camp.

“He has good body control when the ball is in the air,” Rivera said. “He can put himself in a position to make that catch.”

McLaurin’s said his next steps are continuing to improve as a deep ball threat. He wants to continue stretching the offense, and that starts with completing deep passes in practice. Connecting on those means he and the quarterbacks are building chemistry, he said, and if they can complete those passes during practice then coaches will feel much more comfortable going to them in games.

Working with Fitzpatrick and the other quarterbacks in the springtime and during OTAs was beneficial, too. “We got the opportunity to kind of work out some kinks and now we’re starting to fine tune things,” McLaurin said Wednesday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like to think the fan forums contribute to lighting the fire at times for these guys. 

To be doubted and challenged when you've reached the top is healthy. Need to continually prove you are worthy/the best. 

Here's hoping he buys-in to the system. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Im not so sure I care about the ranking, but I am happy they guys are at least doing what they feel like they have to do for the team to be successful. I appreciate them doing it for heath reasons and out of respect if they are. But, honestly, this is a good team. And I would hate to see a good season destroyed by covid when we didnt take it seriously. We all deserve to see this team ball out if they can. It would be soul crushing to see it go down the drain knowing it didnt have to be that way. I know thats greedy. But its the truth. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 5

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Apparently Kirk is one of the Vikes who elected not to.

And they put him in the protocol because of contact tracing. Gonna hurt that team if that happens during the season. 

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think I read their entire QB room is refusing.

Damn thats unfortunate 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

And they put him in the protocol because of contact tracing. Gonna hurt that team if that happens during the season. 

Not to take this further off topic but same piece I read about him not being vaxed mentions this may be his last year with them (not vax may be icing on the cake?).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Not to take this further off topic but same piece I read about him not being vaxed mentions this may be his last year with them (not vax may be icing on the cake?).

We should take it to the tailgate thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if it meant something if not a bit more than nothing (Idk if that makes sense but ill elaborate in the other thread) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

The middle of the road QB is the guy who you might sneak into the playoffs with a couple of times. You also might, if you happen to have planets align and have a dominant defense, a top notch run game, and some luck, get to one SB, or even win one.

The idea is having a franchise type QB/middle tier at a great cost (4-6% of the cap). 

Everything you just are attaching to the plight of a middle of the road guy applies to the elite QB taking up 15-20% of the cap. Most the elite QBs do not win Super Bowls. 

Also, Tom Brady would have to be thrown out as support to the elite QB argument, due to him understanding a large part of his overall value to his team is staying at or below 10% of the cap. This year he will be at 5%. When Brady is taken out of the mix, the argument of the middle of the road QBs being in contention consistently over the last 20 years is much stronger. 

But that's about it. You won't be a perennial contender or a threat to go all the way every season. Rodgers and Wilson haven't won a bunch of SBs, and haven't won recently, but their teams are in the mix every single year. And it's because they have elite QBs at the helm

Not talking a bunch, neither have made an appearance in the last 6 years (10 plus year for Rodgers). I’m not one to only put value on SB victories, so I definitely concede the fact they’re a good bet to be in the playoffs in most years. 

An argument can be made once Wilson received elite money his teams have not been contenders. 

Unless you get incredibly lucky and happen to fill holes with more elite players, a truly dominant defense is usually only going to last 2-3 years. There are so many facets that have to be in alignment and teams just don't have the cap room to keep all of those players on at the same time. So the idea of "riding a dominant defense" to a SB or deep into the playoffs with a middle of the road QB only has a super short window to work.

Where teams have failed in the past is over paying the middle tier QB and often the pay rivals the elite QBs pay, stripping the value of the middle tier QB considerably. This seems to be changing just a bit and Washington is at the forefront, as is New England. I always thought NE would be shrewd with paying the QB when Brady left and that’s been the case. Big year for their team this year. I believe Cam wins 11 games this year at 1-2% of the cap. We’ll see. 

There's really no way around the fact that it's a QB driven leagues, and teams with elite QBs are the ones that are a threat to go all the way on almost any given year. And if they keep their elite QB that windows can last 10-15 years. NFL teams know this; that's why they keep on drafting those QBs so high in the draft year after year.

Part of my perspective is the idea of a team not having an elite QB already on the roster. I don’t subscribe to the idea of letting go of an elite QB for a middle tier guy just yet lol. If there was a choice I’m choosing the elite QB. Though, I know picking the elite QB weakens my team and we most likely won’t win a SB, especially if he accounts for 14-20% of the cap. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cool as for Apke but I recall he was having a big camp last year too and it didn't translate to the season

Hoping the position change decreases the amount of angles on the field he must work through and his freakish ability can be unleashed. More freaks! 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooper is a really good player, great route runner.  I put my money on Terry because IMO of his elite intangibles.    I was just listening to an interview of him on 106.7.  He as always comes off really smart, classy and flat out said he wants to be the best in everything he does.  It also doesn't hurt to have 4.35 speed. 

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/after-impressive-training-camp-fan-favorite-terry-mclaurin-wants-to-continue-building-on-success/article_dc452219-b9a9-5861-86e5-0f3b02c3c8a5.html

Thursday at training camp, Terry McLaurin beat his defender in stride and caught a deep shot from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Coach Ron Rivera said the two seemed to click well on those vertical plays. Friday during 11-on-11s, the wide receiver caught deep passes twice more.

Earlier during Friday’s morning session, McLaurin cut to the outside, went airborne on the fade from Fitzpatrick and dropped his toes just inside the back end zone boundary.

“He’s smooth out there,” quarterback Taylor Heinicke said on Friday. “When he runs his routes, it’s a thing of beauty.”

McLaurin is one of the fan favorites. That’s no surprise after the Ohio State product emerged as Washington’s No. 1 receiver in 2019, and improved upon his production level last season. On each occasion when McLaurin secured a pass this week, the fans gathered at the Richmond facility erupted into cheers. The wide receiver was one of two players who thanked those who came out to Saturday’s Fan Appreciation Day, the other being Chase Young.

For his third year of training camp, McLaurin came to Richmond looking to build on his past years’ success.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to have success my first two years, but I got to come out with a new-year-I-got-something-to-prove mentality,” McLaurin said. “That’s how I’ve always been.”

Saturday, as the Washington Football Team wrapped up its time in Richmond and headed back to its facility in Ashburn for the remainder of training camp, coach Ron Rivera reflected on McLaurin’s performance.

Last year, the wideout caught Rivera’s attention immediately, the coach said. This year, he’s “been more impressive.” Fitzpatrick’s passes have air on them, Rivera said, and that plays into McLaurin’s strengths because he’s been very good at adjusting to balls once they’re thrown. In particular, Rivera said McLaurin has shown that during the past few days at training camp.

“He has good body control when the ball is in the air,” Rivera said. “He can put himself in a position to make that catch.”

McLaurin’s said his next steps are continuing to improve as a deep ball threat. He wants to continue stretching the offense, and that starts with completing deep passes in practice. Connecting on those means he and the quarterbacks are building chemistry, he said, and if they can complete those passes during practice then coaches will feel much more comfortable going to them in games.

Working with Fitzpatrick and the other quarterbacks in the springtime and during OTAs was beneficial, too. “We got the opportunity to kind of work out some kinks and now we’re starting to fine tune things,” McLaurin said Wednesday.

His understanding and willingness to take responsibility for areas he must work on are elite traits (obviously). This is my only gripe is him not putting fear into defenses quite yet, but if he can become more of a deep threat… uh oh! 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I kind of doubt it, cutting him does not help their cap situation.  They could treat it like a sunk cost and just cut him for no additional penalty.  But his entire cap hit is still on the books regardless.  It's $45 million in 2022.  If they trade him, they save $35 million though.

• Like 2

@wit33I somewhat agree with most your points but I think Cam will be pretty awful this season. He looked terrible last year and it wasn't just because he didn't have an incredible supporting cast. He truly looked like crap. Throwing a bunch of money at new FAs won't make much difference IMO. Maybe a little, but there's only so much a pass catcher can do to offset a really inaccurate QB, and Cam was super inaccurate.

Personally I think NE's FA spending spree was Bill B going a bit nuts over the fact that Brady left town and took his SB winning ways with him. I've never thought Belichick was the untouchable legendary coach that some made him out to be. IMO he's a good coach who happened to luck into having the greatest QB to ever play the game during pretty much his entire tenure with the Pats. I think most good coaches would have been able to make that work.

• Like 1

As ugly as Newton was last year, he did still lead the league in QB rushing TDs.  He had 12, more than Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, and Taysom Hill.  He only had 8 through the air, but with two top end Tight ends, I can easily see those numbers going up this year.

I don't think Bill cares about winning pretty or winning ugly.  He knows Cam's limitations and is gonna do what he can to make him as effective in the Redzone as possible this year.  He loves to zig when the rest of the league is zagging, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots neutralize all of these high powered offenses by have a bunch of ugly, low scoring victories this year based around good defense and clock control. 

Just Cam and those TEs muscling their way down the field and into the endzone on super old school, 4 yard chunk plays all game long.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 2