Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I really don't see that at all.  I understand people want to jump on that connection.  But I don't think any of the signs have shown an interest by this coaching/FO group.

Makes me wonder if he starts the season on IR to save a roster spot.

He’d have to open on the roster then they’d have to put him on IR later.  If you start the season on IR your season is over. 

It’s what Alex Smith was so adamant about last year, he didn’t want to start the season on IR because that ends his season.  

I think Allen would have to be on the week 1 roster first then moved to IR in order for him to be eligible to be brought back.  At least that’s my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I agree about Heinicke and Fitzpatrick both starting games this season (and it won't be for injury reasons), but continue to be baffled by the people who think that this team is somehow going to make the playoffs again.  They were 7-9 in a weak division who faced terrible opposing starting quarterbacks in many of the games.  They are going to have a divisional winning record this year, with a quarterback who has never appeared in a playoff game in 3 decades.  I think this year is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of folks.  And that's not some pessimistic take either.  I still think the team will be around .500 this year, and I do think Fitzpatrick is a huge upgrade over Alex Smith/Dwayne Haskins, but I just don't see it.  The news about Heinicke struggling in camp adds to this.

I have to agree.  I think the ceiling for this team is 10 or 11 wins and win a playoff game.  Thats the ceiling though, if we get a lot of good fortune.  7-9 wins is much more likely to actually happen.  We could be a much improved and have it not translate to the win column thanks to that schedule.

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He’d have to open on the roster then they’d have to put him on IR later.  If you start the season on IR your season is over. 

It’s what Alex Smith was so adamant about last year, he didn’t want to start the season on IR because that ends his season.  

I think Allen would have to be on the week 1 roster first then moved to IR in order for him to be eligible to be brought back.  At least that’s my understanding.

That's close.  August 31st is final the final cut down date this year so players put on IR after 4pm on September 1st are eligible to come off IR later in the season.  Players put on IR prior to the 1st are ineligible.  

In Alex's case he was just pissed they wanted to put him on IR after he'd been cleared by doctors and had no set backs in TC.  And if Ron had done it he may never have allowed him to come off IR.  Alex would have been out of sight out of mind.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

I have to agree.  I think the ceiling for this team is 10 or 11 wins and win a playoff game.  Thats the ceiling though, if we get a lot of good fortune.  7-9 wins is much more likely to actually happen.  We could be a much improved and have it not translate to the win column thanks to that schedule.

3 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I agree about Heinicke and Fitzpatrick both starting games this season (and it won't be for injury reasons), but continue to be baffled by the people who think that this team is somehow going to make the playoffs again.  They were 7-9 in a weak division who faced terrible opposing starting quarterbacks in many of the games.  They are going to have a divisional winning record this year, with a quarterback who has never appeared in a playoff game in 3 decades.  I think this year is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of folks.  And that's not some pessimistic take either.  I still think the team will be around .500 this year, and I do think Fitzpatrick is a huge upgrade over Alex Smith/Dwayne Haskins, but I just don't see it.  The news about Heinicke struggling in camp adds to this.

Y'all can move along with this pessimism under the guise of "realism". 

No chance this team loses more than 8 games this year. The FLOOR is 8-9, and ceiling is 15-2 ish. This defense will be SCARY good this year and an above average offense with speed and weapons all over the field. 

Season can't start fast enough. 

Hail. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Anybody who has an alliterative name (Ross Reynolds, Marko Mitchell) always has a second career waiting in adult films.

28 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

What about Jake Butt?

Haha Clinton-Dix transitioned quite well into adult comedy films. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

No chance this team loses more than 8 games this year. The FLOOR is 8-9, and ceiling is 15-2 ish. This defense will be SCARY good this year and an above average offense. 

Hail. 

Honestly, my current big worry is that they will be forced to forfeit multiple games due to COVID or that they will lose because of being undermanned because of COVID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Borgold said:

Honestly, my current big worry is that they will be forced to forfeit multiple games due to COVID or that they will lose because of being undermanned because of COVID.

That's definitely a fear of mine. I feel like that's going to be a fact of EVERY team's season this year. Will be interesting to see it play out. 

7 minutes ago, Borgold said:

I think they only have to forfeit if they have an actual COVID outbreak as opposed to just people on the COVID list, which includes unvaccinated players who are exposed to others with COVID. However, the outbreak could definitely still happen. Only takes one unvaccinated dude to spread it to all the others.

That being said, I'm assuming we'll likely have multiple players who will miss multiple games due to being unvaccinated and under quarantine during the season after being exposed, including CY and Sweat.

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Top 5 QBs are for the weak. The next 10-15 years guys at the QB spot who are both good (top 20) and provide value contractually will have close to equal in terms of being in the final 8, 4, in the Super Bowl and SB wins. IMO. 

Fitz having a top 15 seasons at 5% of the cap can rival/be better than a top 5-7 QB being paid 13-20% of the cap. 

I’d be more impressed if you said 11-20 ranked QB.  Either way it’s hard to do unless the goal is to be the 90s Chiefs. 

1 hour ago, Borgold said:

If there was not a single forfeit or canceled game last year I see no way they'll be multiple forfeits or game cancelations this year.

Sounds to me like a scare tactic by the nfl to get as many players as possible to get the vaccine but in the end they'll make sure the games are played unless something really crazy and unexpected happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

What about Jake Butt?

Yeah, count him, too.

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

That's definitely a fear of mine. I feel like that's going to be a fact of EVERY team's season this year. Will be interesting to see it play out. 

You're kinda proving the point.  EVERY team has a vaccination rate.  Ours is near the bottom.

Not a stat you wanna come in at the tail end when it can DIRECTLY affect games.

2 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

No chance this team loses more than 8 games this year. The FLOOR is 8-9, and ceiling is 15-2 ish. This defense will be SCARY good this year and an above average offense with speed and weapons all over the field. 

Hail. 

15-2? 😄   Noone the the NFC East is going to win more than 9-10 games. That's the ceiling for the entire division.

3 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

I’d be more impressed if you said 11-20 ranked QB.  Either way it’s hard to do unless the goal is to be the 90s Chiefs. 

11-20 is essentially what I was going for. 

Rodgers hasn’t won one in ten years (is that the Chiefs of 90s ??). Russel Wilson hasn’t gotten past the divisional round in the last 6 years. 

Apart from Chase and Montez who appear to be dominating, it seems like Holcomb and McLaurin have been our best players so far in camp. One guy we kind of assumed in McLaurin, the other is a nice surprise in Holcomb. I think Holcomb's ceiling is vastly underrated by this fanbase if I'm being honest, between Davis and Holcomb we have a seriously gifted LB duo athletically. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Apart from Chase and Montez who appear to be dominating, it seems like Holcomb and McLaurin have been our best players so far in camp. One guy we kind of assumed in McLaurin, the other is a nice surprise in Holcomb. I think Holcomb's ceiling is vastly underrated by this fanbase if I'm being honest, between Davis and Holcomb we have a seriously gifted LB duo athletically. 

Most people seem to like Swole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

If there was not a single forfeit or canceled game last year I see no way they'll be multiple forfeits or game cancelations this year.

Sounds to me like a scare tactic by the nfl to get as many players as possible to get the vaccine but in the end they'll make sure the games are played unless something really crazy and unexpected happens. 

The NFL didn't have the forfeit rule in place last season, so that part is moot. I wouldn't assume they're just using it as a scare tactic. They're probably pretty peeved that so many players are being knuckleheads.

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

Rodgers hasn’t won one in ten years (is that the Chiefs of 90s ??). Russel Wilson hasn’t gotten past the divisional round in the last 6 years. 

The middle of the road QB is the guy who you might sneak into the playoffs with a couple of times. You also might, if you happen to have planets align and have a dominant defense, a top notch run game, and some luck, get to one SB, or even win one.

But that's about it. You won't be a perennial contender or a threat to go all the way every season. Rodgers and Wilson haven't won a bunch of SBs, and haven't won recently, but their teams are in the mix every single year. And it's because they have elite QBs at the helm

Unless you get incredibly lucky and happen to fill holes with more elite players, a truly dominant defense is usually only going to last 2-3 years. There are so many facets that have to be in alignment and teams just don't have the cap room to keep all of those players on at the same time. So the idea of "riding a dominant defense" to a SB or deep into the playoffs with a middle of the road QB only has a super short window to work.

There's really no way around the fact that it's a QB driven leagues, and teams with elite QBs are the ones that are a threat to go all the way on almost any given year. And if they keep their elite QB that windows can last 10-15 years. NFL teams know this; that's why they keep on drafting those QBs so high in the draft year after year.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

How many times have the Giants, Broncos or Eagles been back to the super bowl since their win?

Edited by Leonard Washington

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

The NFL didn't have the forfeit rule in place last season, so that part is moot. I wouldn't assume they're just using it as a scare tactic. They're probably pretty peeved that so many players are being knuckleheads.

They were putting policies and procedures in place on the fly because of a pandemic, they easily could have put one in place to allow for cancelation of games.

The nfl is not going to cut the head off its golden goose for spite, a few games could get canceled if there is no other way around it but I'd bet good money it would have to take something extraordinary for that to happen.

If I know one thing about the nfl and it's collection of billionaires, money and advancement of product are far far more important than vindication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They were putting policies and procedures in place on the fly because of a pandemic, they easily could have put one in place to allow for cancelation of games.

The nfl is not going to cut the head off its golden goose for spite, a few games could get canceled if there is no other way around it but I'd bet good money it would have to take something extraordinary for that to happen.

If I know one thing about the nfl and it's collection of billionaires, money and advancement of product are far far more important than vindication.

They could have put in place forfeit rules for when there was a team outbreak of COVID among players who decided not to get vaccinated...before there was a vaccine available?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

They could have put in place forfeit rules for when there was a team outbreak of COVID among players who decided not to get vaccinated...before there was a vaccine available?

Sure why not, they had protocols in place and could have assumed that a breakout was the cause of failure to follow protocols.

They can make whatever rules they want but they're going to protect their product at all costs.

Do you not agree that the nfl is going to do everything possible to ensure revenue is maximized or do you honestly believe they'll cancel games out of spite?

Edited by redskinss
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Sure why not, they had protocols in place and could have assumed that a breakout was the cause of failure to follow protocols.

They can make whatever rules they want but they're going to protect their product at all costs.

Do you not agree that the nfl is going to do everything possible to ensure revenue is maximized or do you honestly believe they'll cancel games out of spite?

I think there are a couple of far more pragmatic reasons they'd want to cancel individual games for COVID outbreaks among the unvaccinated on a team.

1) It would stop one outbreak on a team from potentially spreading like wildfire to others, which could then end up with a whole bunch of games potentially being cancelled. I think we can agree that that would hurt their revenue quite a bit more than one cancelled game.

2) PR. It's also not good for their revenue and viewership if they end up with a really bad public stigma of not giving a **** about COVID and then advertisers pull money or people stop watching or going to games.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Hail. 

This will be a fun one to revisit in a few months.