Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Aaron Rodgers: not washed up.  Even his coach got panicky about the loss last week, and he was the only one urging calm and patience in a hysterical atmosphere, noting that they'll be in trouble if they make too much out of the loss to the Saints.

He was right, and being the only adult in his locker room has to be getting old.

He has an opt out of his contract after this year and I'm like 90% sure he is walking.  This is our shot.  I am enjoying the Heinicke ride as much as anyone else, but Aaron Rodgers is our shot at a Super Bowl and having everyone keep their jobs.  We need to clear out whatever cap room it takes to get this dude to come here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Grabbing Rodgers and hitting the draft hard on defense again would be nice. Losing Scherff and Collins contracts should get us pretty close. I also have to think it's not just a money grab for him. He really wants to win and watching Tampa giving Brady the freedom to build the team he wants around them and then just crush everyone has to be sticking in his head.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Is it me or are we starting a unusually large amount of rookies this year?  Almost all of the draft pics have been on the field and playing key roles... even Cheese!

It's all good for our youth movement, but I thought it was odd.

You say “even Cheese”, but the funny thing is that the Big Cheese was the only rookie pretty much guaranteed a “starting” spot the moment he was drafted, given we cut our previous long-tenured LS and spent a draft pick on a position that isn’t usually drafted. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Grabbing Rodgers and hitting the draft hard on defense again would be nice. Losing Scherff and Collins contracts should get us pretty close. I also have to think it's not just a money grab for him. He really wants to win and watching Tampa giving Brady the freedom to build the team he wants around them and then just crush everyone has to be sticking in his head.

That, and I bet he wants to stay in the NFC. Worse QB play compared to the AFC, better shot at the playoffs and home playoff games (especially in this division), and he’s more familiar with his opponents in the NFC after all this time. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You say “even Cheese”, but the funny thing is that the Big Cheese was the only rookie pretty much guaranteed a “starting” spot the moment he was drafted, given we cut our previous long-tenured LS and spent a draft pick on a position that isn’t usually drafted. 

That, and I bet he wants to stay in the NFC. Worse QB play compared to the AFC, better shot at the playoffs and home playoff games (especially in this division), and he’s more familiar with his opponents in the NFC after all this time. 

Yeah, I'm sure there is a ton of angst there and he would love to have a super team built around him. Isn't Adams a FA next year? 

Seems to be a new super team angle to building a team. With only a handful of top caliber QBs like a Brady or Rodgers, I suppose it makes sense. 

Without an elite QB you are pretty much a farm team, unless you get extremely lucky in the draft.

If I were us, and Aaron Rodgers were on the table, I'd run whatever he wanted to run.  Turner's system be damned. 

Like when Peyton went to Denver.  And even in Tampa, Arians was trying to force Brady to do it how he wanted it until they got on the same page and met in the middle.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Aaron Rodgers: not washed up.  Even his coach got panicky about the loss last week, and he was the only one urging calm and patience in a hysterical atmosphere, noting that they'll be in trouble if they make too much out of the loss to the Saints.

He was right, and being the only adult in his locker room has to be getting old.

He has an opt out of his contract after this year and I'm like 90% sure he is walking.  This is our shot.  I am enjoying the Heinicke ride as much as anyone else, but Aaron Rodgers is our shot at a Super Bowl and having everyone keep their jobs.  We need to clear out whatever cap room it takes to get this dude to come here.

It seems like it could certainly be a possibility but I'm guessing we would need Derek Carr to keep playing well because I thought Rodgers said he wants to play on the west coast? 

Don't discount TH yet either....he may just keep surprising people. For all of Rodgers greatness in his career, he's still won just one SB and he certainly brings a lot of drama. He's better than anything we have but sometimes guys like him can be exhausting divas. I'm torn but leaning towards sayin yeah, lets get him.....IF HE WANTS TO BE HERE and if we can get him without giving up high draft picks.

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Rodgers is going to Denver if he can.  Too much smoke out there for that.  Although, he'd be smart to stay in the NFC.  Does he want to go to that gauntlet of a division?

We need to move heaven and earth to sell him on this team.  We need to give it our absolute best shot, because, while teams like Denver make sense, so does this one.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He has an opt out of his contract after this year and I'm like 90% sure he is walking. 

Huh?

I've heard they erased 2023 but A-Rod is under contract for 2022 with everyone pretty much assuming there is a "gentleman's handshake" that he will be traded in the coming offseason.

I don't think he can just opt-out and walk and I cant see them just cutting the guy.  Anyone who wants him is giving up some assets.

Is there an opt out clause I have not heard about where he could just bounce? That would change some things if true.

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rodgers does not have an opt out after this year. There are two more years on his contract but the final year voids, creating about $7.6 million in dead cap.

28 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Rodgers does not have an opt out after this year. There are two more years on his contract but the final year voids, creating about $7.6 million in dead cap.

According to this website he's got an out after this season:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

I assumed he was able to use to opt-out then.

• Like 1

Going off memory, but I thought Rodgers came to an agreement that allows him to opt out after next year. 

The key for the older hall of fame QBs leaving and enjoying success is to not be traded for, stripping their new team of valuable resources. Rodgers will not allow himself to be traded for is my guess. 

The whole idea he wouldn’t want to come here is silly, Washington will be a top 3 destination, due to talent on roster, veteran coach, and financial resources. It’s not like it will be a situation of competing against 12 other teams, others won’t be in position. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, OMacAttack said:

Is that accurate still??

Yep, Washington has actually play every game so far with only 52 players. It's a bit misleading due to game day inactives and the fact you can bring someone up temporarily from the practice squad. But after Samuel was placed on IR, there's never been a replacement. Norris replaced Fitzpatrick to stay at 52. Looking like the team may go into Week 3 with only 52 as well.

Looking at the Spotrac details of his contract, I don't know what they mean by "potential out: 2022"  The 26 million in dead cap that the out generates suggests that he's able to get out of his contract after this season is over, but it's not clear to me if that's an out for Green Bay or an out for him.  Does anyone understand this detail?

It does look like 2023 has already been voided though.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

"potential out: 2022"

Pretty sure that is team side. It's not really an "option", it just represents the natural low point of his contract where cutting the specific would be more feasible in comparison to the previous/remainder of his contract.

You can compare it to Landon Collins' deal. He does not have a contract option either, but there is a natural low point after 2021 where cutting him makes relative sense vs what is left on his contract so it is a potential out for the team

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/landon-collins-16757/

Not 100% sure, but I think "potential out" is simply the point where the dead cap hit is less than what the team would be scheduled to pay the player that season if they don't cut him.

A Rod 46 contract  > 26 dead cap

L Collins 16 contract  > 9 dead cap

Seems to check out for other players too. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

Yep, Washington has actually play every game so far with only 52 players. It's a bit misleading due to game day inactives and the fact you can bring someone up temporarily from the practice squad. But after Samuel was placed on IR, there's never been a replacement. Norris replaced Fitzpatrick to stay at 52. Looking like the team may go into Week 3 with only 52 as well.

Why would we ever do this, a single roster spot is a precious resource in this league 

1 hour ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I would prefer to build through the draft and finally have a decade long franchise QB this organization deserves.

So would everyone else. We don’t always get what we want…and even when we do, that you usually sucks.