Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

On 8/6/2021 at 8:15 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

So good to read that report as I was and am super high on the pick as I've heard  a few guys on the radio saying he looks a bit lost. Which I guess is to be expected so early in camp.  

Davis being lost came from Logan Paulsen, whose word carries more weight than most of these puff piece bloggers. Interested to see how he does week 1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, method man said:

Davis being lost came from Logan Paulsen, whose word carries more weight than most of these puff piece bloggers. Interested to see how he does week 1

When did Paulsen make that critique? Was that early in camp or more recently?

12 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

This guy will be a great football player for us book it

I think he fits what we needed almost perfectly. 

Our biggest defensive weakness last year was speed and coverage ability at the linebacker spot which was exploited by the better teams.

Jamin's best skill is his coverage abilities and if collins can get back to form charging the line of scrimmage like an animal this defense could have almost no weaknesses. 

Assuming we stay healthy and these things work out like we're hoping of course.

But for the first time in a very long time we actually have all the pieces to have real hope versus the false hope we always create in the preseason. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Jamin's best skill is his coverage abilities and if collins can get back to form charging the line of scrimmage like an animal this defense could have almost no weaknesses. 

How many times last season was Jon Allen half a foot from the QB when the ball would get dumped underneath over the middle? I bet we left ten sacks on the field. 

Jamin has the ability to give us that 0.5 sec, heck maybe even a full 1 second. He's explosive against the run as long as they can keep him clean of blockers. 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Do I have this right, Davis has always been with the 1st team at MLB, and Bostic with the 2nd team at MLB?  Neither have switched, and neither have done WLB or SLB spots?

According to the pundits I think it’s for the most part, been at MLB. Findlay and Keim have mentioned Bostic sometimes playing nickel along with Davis or Holcomb.  So it sounds like they are moving them around a bit, but in base JD has been mostly at middle. I think they really want to see if JD can get it done at MLB, then go from there if he can.  That’s my perception. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 2:59 PM, method man said:

Paulsen isn't a be all-end all expert, either.

Dismissing others observations that are more positive as "puff piece bloggers" pretty much tells where you are coming from.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Paulsen isn't a be all-end all expert, either.

Dismissing others observations that are more positive as "puff piece bloggers" pretty much tells where you are coming from.

I mean I get where he is coming from, I prefer a film breakdowner type evaluation to the average beat writer take as well.

But, they also tend to be technique, effort, scheme guys and as naturally biased against guys that can get it done with pure gifted athleticism.  That was a theme in Cooley's stuff for a long time.

• Like 1

I’ll be watching the rookie tomorrow.  I hope he gets a series or two.  It will be good experience.  I know Parsons got picked higher than Davis.   But Ron said Davis was the highest defender on our board, so I’m interested in seeing who got the better linebacker.   But I’ll be happy if he’s a good fit for our defense no matter what happens.

14 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Do I have this right, Davis has always been with the 1st team at MLB, and Bostic with the 2nd team at MLB?  Neither have switched, and neither have done WLB or SLB spots?

I've been hearing Bostic at SAM.

Interestingly the 2nd string MLB on the depth chart is Hudson.  I thought he would be at WLB.

I don't put too much stock in any of that though. 

• Like 2

Jamin's development will be interesting to watch. I won't over analyze his couple of drives from last night, but I will be watching to see his improvement in a few areas. What I saw is generally what I'd expect from a rookie playing MLB in his first preseason game.

You could tell he is still getting comfortable with just playing and not thinking too much. I noticed him hesitate to trust his eyes on a few plays, resulting in getting caught up in traffic. This will be great film for him to study and see how that slight hesitation makes a difference. Once he starts trusting his eyes, he'll be in a lot more plays.

I also saw him get knocked around a few times making his way to the ball lol. Not man handled, or even actually blocked, just bigger bodies knocking him off his path to the ball a bit. He's still learning how to balance all that athleticism with being a linebacker who has to be physical. There's an art to navigating those running lanes and alleys, and even more so on the NFL level.

Of course there were good things I saw also, but the preseason isn't for patting yourself on the back- especially for rookies. It's for exposing them to the fire and fine tuning any areas of weakness. I'll start talking about the good things I'm seeing once they are consistent. It'll be fun to see how he looks after a week of film study of himself. I expect him to make strides each week. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

I was expecting some sort of flash. I’m already worried. If he doesn’t play up to his first round billing, our defense will struggle again this year. 

Hopefully that’s not too dramatic. Hoping he shows us something next week.  

snl-simma-down-now.gif

• Haha 1