Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

49 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I dont understand this Tebow situation, but maybe I havent been paying attention and don't know th details.  Is he is only making the team because he knows the coach?  They don't actually expect him to play?  If he makes the team because he knows the coach but still plays well, is it still a mistake?  Or is he guaranteed to fail, so it's already predetermined to be a mistake and that's why people are upset?  Not sure what is inherently unfair or incorrect about it until it actually fails miserably, no matter how likely that might be.  But, again maybe I am missing something.

He is an interesting person and athlete. Maybe he can somehow make the team with a little help from his friend and coach lol, but his chances are slim. If he was willing to convert to TE years ago he could have enjoyed a good NFL career. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I get the woozy feeling they are sticking with Bostic for the coming year

He’s not terrible, but at this point he’s the clear weak link on the defense (and we’d save $2.6m by cutting him if an upgrade becomes available). 

That said I’m guessing he provides some leadership and experience with the defense that they like, as a guy who’s now started 30+ games under Del Rio here. He probably gets one more year and then we look to upgrade next year (maybe by sliding Holcomb or Davis to the MIKE). 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree with still bringing in Kerrigan or a June 1st cut there.

I could still see a TE but am having a harder time seeing that as they have a lot of competition there now.

I could still see a workhorse type RB be a possibility

Fine fellow WFT fans:

We aren't in the 4-3 that often. Bostic at MIKE is a very low issue at the moment. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fine fellow WFT fans:

We aren't in the 4-3 that often. Bostic at MIKE is a very low issue at the moment. 

Debatable how big of a concern it is for sure. It’s definitely not the end of the world. But even if we are only in base 25% of the time, is that not worth upgrading the position for 1 out of every 4 plays? That’s also assuming Bostic comes off the field in nickel... they are going to be have to be comfortable with Holcomb or Davis calling plays in that case. And our depth isn’t strong at LB, so if something happens to Davis or Holcomb, Bostic is right back to being a 3 down LB. 

Bottom line: I’m not super concerned about it, but I don’t think it’s a non-issue either.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Debatable how big of a concern it is for sure. It’s definitely not the end of the world. But even if we are only in base 25% of the time, is that not worth upgrading the position for 1 out of every 4 plays? That’s also assuming Bostic comes off the field in nickel... they are going to be have to be comfortable with Holcomb or Davis calling plays in that case. And our depth isn’t strong at LB, so if something happens to Davis or Holcomb, Bostic is right back to being a 3 down LB. 

Bottom line: I’m not super concerned about it, but I don’t think it’s a non-issue either.

Of course it’s not a non issue. But the worry is very low priority. Bostic is a veteran. Sure, he runs the wrong way at times... but as a true MIKE he can also make plays at times and with better man defenders present his coverage responsibilities will be cut way down and he will be free to blitz more often. If utilized properly he’ll be fine.

And yes, he will be off the field in nickel. If he’s on the field there is something extremely wrong. Either Jamin stinks, Holcomb isn’t getting it done or the coaches are putting entirely way too much faith in Bostic.

id have rather we signed Denzel Perryman this offseason to play that role but... here we are. I’ve been the biggest proponent of upgrading LB on this forum, so no need to sell me that Bostic isn’t a great plan.

But with our personnel I fully expect us to be in the 4-2 more often than not AND Bostic playing 20ish snaps a game is not a very real concern.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Of course it’s not a non issue. But the worry is very low priority. 

Thankfully, all we have is low priority issues left. 😃

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

And yes, he will be off the field in nickel. If he’s on the field there is something extremely wrong. Either Jamin stinks, Holcomb isn’t getting it done or the coaches are putting entirely way too much faith in Bostic.

Always hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I agree with still bringing in Kerrigan or a June 1st cut there.

I could still see a TE but am having a harder time seeing that as they have a lot of competition there now.

I could still see a workhorse type RB be a possibility

- Not sure who who'd expect to be a June 1 cut. All those players should be already cut with a June 1 designation. There's little reason to wait until June 1 unless a trade was being attempted. Seems like Kerrigan or bust.

- The team could really use something better at TE, I'm just note sure there's anything really out there. For many fans, they seem to think Bates and maybe Reyes make the 53, but that's a lot to ask of a 4th round rookie and someone who has literally never played the sport.

- Agreed on Bostic. It's not great. But again, not sure what could be out there at this point

- Plausibly, but again there needs to be someone out there.

Just now, terpfan said:

Thankfully, all we have is low priority issues left. 😃

Always hope for the best, prepare for the worst...

Bostic playing in nickel is beyond the worst. I’d rather have Hudson in there. If he’s on the field is a MAJOR issue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terpfan said:

as a guy who’s now started 30+ games under Del Rio here.

Del Rio has only been here for 16 and he inherited Bostic.

You can only replace so much each year and sometimes you have to roll with what you have if there's nothing better available or you feel your available money is better spent elsewhere. 

Maybe he's in that "here for leadership" category but it's probably too early to tell.

If somehow he's still on the roster next year then we'll know for sure.

36 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Del Rio has only been here for 16 and he inherited Bostic.

You can only replace so much each year and sometimes you have to roll with what you have if there's nothing better available or you feel your available money is better spent elsewhere. 

Maybe he's in that "here for leadership" category but it's probably too early to tell.

If somehow he's still on the roster next year then we'll know for sure.

Doh - you’re right. For some reason it feels like Ron and JDR have already been here two years. Still, Bostic does have a full season of experience under him now and is a veteran guy. That might have value in such an otherwise young LB room. No reason not to upgrade if we can though. 

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Bostic playing in nickel is beyond the worst. I’d rather have Hudson in there. If he’s on the field is a MAJOR issue. 

Right there with you.  Of course, part of that for me is I think Hudson’s got a chance to surprise.  

Thinking we’ll find out early on how they feel about him - if Davis winds up at SLB and Hudson starts at WLB, I’d guess he’ll probably also have an inside track to a backup nickelbacker spot (assumption being Holcomb/Davis start).  Given my concerns about Hudson’s size holding up to teams running out of nickel, I could see him being used rotationally if Holcomb or Davis are out of the lineup.  Question becomes who would he rotate with?  Bostic?  Mayo?  JHC?  I think the staff leans towards Bostic - RR talked about him stepping up his game toward the end of the year, or something like that (I’m not putting too much weight on that statement though).

I’m liking the upside, athletic guys we’ve added recently - Holcomb, Hudson, Davis and Toney, but we’re probably still gonna have to rely on our experienced, lower upside guys like Bostic, Mayo, Norris for now, at least to some extent.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

I know it's not much different, but Hudson in another year, same as Holcolmb and Bostic, JHC coming back and drafting Davis IMO is a better group than last year.

A healthy lighter Collins with Curl and a real FS should pull a lot of heat off the LBers also.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know it's not much different, but Hudson in another year, same as Holcolmb and Bostic, JHC coming back and drafting Davis IMO is a better group than last year.

A healthy lighter Collins with Curl and a real FS should pull a lot of heat off the LBers also.

I'd be utterly shocked if JHC made this roster, isn't he a FA anyways? His draft year was 2017 and we haven't re-signed him. 

43 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd be utterly shocked if JHC made this roster, isn't he a FA anyways? His draft year was 2017 and we haven't re-signed him. 

I would not be surprised at all if JHC was cut, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he sticks.  He offers something different than the Bostic, Mayo, Norris types, but he also hasn’t proven himself in the slightest in the NFL, particularly as a linebacker (though perhaps he showed something as a STer).  He’s the wildcard linebacker IMO, well... him and Kunasczk or (whatever his name is).  If he makes it, it will be because of ST and the ability to play dimebacker (most likely in a reserve role).

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he did or didn't. He came back heavier, but is still in the role they drafted Hudson to play, so I doubt they are counting on him. He's a bubble backer. Even if he plays just ST and stays healthy he's an upgrade to Thomas Davis and Pierre whatever.

47 minutes ago, dyst said:

JHC has 41 tackles in 3 years. He’s not an x-factor. He’s a non-factor (at least so far). 

because there's no way he cane beat Jared Norris,   Jordan Kunaszyk and Justin Phillips in the competition for the sixth LB spot

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, carex said:

because there's no way he cane beat Jared Norris,   Jordan Kunaszyk and Justin Phillips in the competition for the sixth LB spot

He may, he may not. Just saying he is not a name to stress or think about. He hasn’t done anything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

He may, he may not. Just saying he is not a name to stress or think about. He hasn’t done anything.

we have nine or ten, almost none of them have done anything or have a name.  So some people will prefer the alternative, that they're all people to stress over