Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have not been this excited about our team since Gibbs 1. We are totally legit and are goiong to win a lot and do it in a very fun way. Big creating offemse and nasty attacking defense. I'm so siked. McCain was the cherry on the sunday.

I hear ya, although I admit I was all in on rg3 after we drafted him so I'd say I haven't been this excited since 2012, but i haven't had this much deserved excitement since 2004.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The great thing is that I think McCain finally hit his stride at FS sometime last season.

Really think this may be his best season as a pro, might even be the highpoint of his career when we get to a time of hindsight. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Really think this may be his best season as a pro, might even be the highpoint of his career when we get to a time of hindsight. 

I'm betting the same thing, and next year some team that operates like we used to will probably give him a massive contract and he'll never be the same again. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm betting the same thing, and next year some team that operates like we used to will probably give him a massive contract and he'll never be the same again. 

Exactly. That’s the brilliance of depth and competition. It creates an environment where athletes can be placed in positions to succeed -playing to their strengths. They play a specific role. And you don’t have to expand their responsibilities beyond what they’re capable. So you never see their warts. You just see the highlight reels.

It’s a win-win.

For player that wants to boost their stock. When their contract expires, they can decide if they want to bet on themselves.

And for the team, it doesn’t have to continually find ‘complete players’ (blue chip). Instead, it just needs to find specific skill sets. For reduced prices.

16 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Jason Witten and Mark Bavaro were both “lumbering” but did quite well. 

You don’t have to go back.  Travis Kelce lumbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Signing really solid veterans at LT and FS after the draft is a great outcome. Couldn’t have fallen much better. Not a massive compromise in terms of the younger players longer term development. Just great competition and depth, really rounds out those spots through camp.

Being greedy, I’ve still got an eye on LB and TE openings. Not actively chasing, but if similar levels vets are/become available at those positions I would definitely be thinking about it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, profusion said:

I'm a little scared. It feels like we might have a real football team to root for, and I'm not sure how to handle that. 😄

You’re not scared, you’re empathic, and you’re picking up all the energy from fans of all the other NFL teams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're signing a CB turned FS :ols:  

He's a great FS and I'm super happy about ut, but it'll just reinforce the "why don't we turn every late round CB into a FS" argument 

Because some of them are great CBs.

• Like 1

McCain was such an obvious fit. Very lucky to have a guy who basically fits the exact description of what we were looking for in a safety all offseason available out of nowhere. 

Anybody want to cut a veteran blocking tight end with reliable hands now? 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, tchrpe1 said:

Any one know what the $ amount was for McCain’s one year contract?

We will probably find out Monday or shortly thereafter when the NFLPA officially releases the terms.

Usually, if terms are leaked early it’s from the agent who wants to spread the word that he negotiated a good deal.

Silence generally means it was a bargain or perhaps even a steal for the team.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2