Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno signed ; Sundberg, Darby, KPL, Moreau out
7 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

We gonna keep 10 roster spots for OL??

I think with the 17th game that could lead to battle of attrition just to get through the season so makes sense.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I think this signing has a big impact on the ability to keep a return only guy.  With 10 OL, you have room for 3 QBs, 3 RBs, and 9 pass catchers if you want offense/defense balance.  I have a hard time seeing a guy like Carter cracking the top 5/6 WRs.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I can understand the outlook, but I’m not sure it’s necessarily the case (re staff seeing SC as a G).   
If you consider Cosmi may not be ready to start right away, and Charles is pretty much an unknown, they have Lucas starting again and no real competition for him.  We also have Lucas/Leno as FAs next year.  
Our oline did some things pretty well, but for the most part was not good*.  I think the FO knows they need to improve the oline for Gibson and Fitzpatrick’s sakes.    
We as fans tend to pencil in guys like Cosmi and Charles as competition/depth, but coaches (this staff in particular) aren’t content with relying on potential.  
I’m not saying SC is going to play tackle, just that I don’t think the staff knows yet.  I actually think/agree G is probably his best spot.  

*sidenote:   a back with Gibson’s elusiveness, speed and power to push the pile, if you knew he was second in the league in broken tackles, you’d assume he was near the top of the league in ypc (he was 20th).  

On top of that, we had Smith getting the ball out quickly to dump offs, Allen and Heinicke eluding rushers often, and yet we still allowed the 2nd most sacks.  (I get there were other factors, but that ain’t good).  
Lastly, the staff knows they need the best oline possible to allow for Fitz to hit those deep balls.  

Cosmi didn't get drafted to play Guard, he is a freak athlete and would be a travesty to mold him into a guard.

32 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

I think with the 17th game that could lead to battle of attrition just to get through the season so makes sense.

I feel increasing the number of games without increasing the roster and bye game numbers are going to cause some real problems moving forward for many teams and players.

Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

Just now, bowhunter said:

we've done it more than a few times.  And with the NFL allowing you to keep an extra guy active if you've got 8 OL dressed

Just now, The Rook said:

I feel increasing the number of games without increasing the roster and bye game numbers are going to cause some real problems moving forward for many teams and players.

Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

:229:The Rook

the NFL probably feels the increased numbers on the PS and the ability to use some of them on game day will help mitigate that

Not super-enthused about the signing as I thought Lucas was okay and want to make sure Cosmi gets the development and snaps he needs. 

Wonder what this says about Charles too? I’d imagine several other o line are now likely cuts. 

starters Leno and Moses

Backups Lucas and Cosmi

Guards Scherrf and Flowers

Backups Sweitzer and Charles?

9 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Cosmi didn't get drafted to play Guard, he is a freak athlete and would be a travesty to mold him into a guard.

I was wondering how you got that from my post and then had to laugh... I used “SC” to refer to Sahdiq Charles, not Sam Cosmi.  My bad, I will definitely not be using ‘SC’ going forward :)

(I do think there is a chance Cosmi winds up at guard, but I don’t think that’s what’ll happen.  If it did though, it would be a Scherff-like situation - ie plan A was tackle )

• Haha 2

A little copy and past from NFL.com on Leno...

Washington quickly pounced.

The 29-year-old left tackle started 93 straight games for the Bears and remains a solid blindside protector. Scooping up Leno is a coup for Ron Rivera's team at this stage in the offseason.

The seven-year pro with one Pro Bowl to his name fills the biggest question on Washington's roster. 

35 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Goodell really cares about player $afety

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Question: Can Ismael play guard? Can any of the guards play center? I wonder what this does for Ismael if he's only able to play one position.

Yes, I think he plays both. We also signed a back-up center too. 

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Question: Can Ismael play guard? Can any of the guards play center? I wonder what this does for Ismael if he's only able to play one position.

taken from the teams website...

4. He can play all three interior offensive line positions.

Ismael was widely seen as a top 5 center prospect in the Class of 2020, but he's confident in his ability to play all three interior offensive line positions (left guard, center and right guard).

"My offensive line coach [Mike] Schmidt, he put a lot of responsibility on me to lead the line," Ismael said. "Wherever he needed me week-in and week-out, I was ready to play. He rotated me in over my years at right guard and at center, so I feel comfortable playing all positions. Wherever they need me, I'm willing to put the work in to contribute."

As redshirt freshman, he started eight games at center and five at right guard because of injuries. The next season, he split his time between right guard and center and even played a game at left guard. And while he logged 13 starts at center in 2019, he'll provide the Redskins with versatility along the offensive front.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

image.png.df593b8bab0ec0b9bbbadf5603a7bd43.png

This is kind of misleading, and it's not just ESPN.  PFF had us as a Top ranked OL as well.  But it's easy to get good pass block win rates when Alex Smith is throwing the ball before a pass rush as a chance to do anything.

I also don't like looking at individual OL players for these types of things.  The unit as a whole has to play together.  Sometimes players with good grades/ratings are partially there due to easier responsibilities.  While a worse graded player with more talent is getting the tougher assignments like reach blocks.  Or taking an extra beat to help a teammates block before climbing to the second level.

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lucas was solid but never a future LT here. And I think the tone on this signing is “competition” and letting Cosmi have a year to learn. So Leno / Lucas compete for LT. Cosmi gets a redshirt unless he really comes around. 

Yeah, they also have Charles in the mix also, who they thought at this time last year was a LT candidate.  

Personally, I like having a lot of bodies at LT, so I have no issues.  Though I do want to make sure we have the ability to develop and get playing time for Cosmi and Charles (if he's healthy and good) because otherwise those are 2 fairly high draft picks wasted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

1 hour ago, carex said:

the NFL probably feels the increased numbers on the PS and the ability to use some of them on game day will help mitigate that

We need to keep covid injury rules.

I loved the short term IR. Good for the players, good for the team, good for the fans.

No reason that ever needs to go away. It was crazy it took a pandemic to be implemented

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1