Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

And the thing about McCain as opposed to the other options is he would presumably/hopefully sign a multi year contract. He's not some one year rental. Hopefully a starter for years to come.

He got paid in Miami and from what I've read he underwhelming got cut on the fringe of a cap move.  Assuming his agent is doing his job, there's no reason for them to rush in signing for a multi-year deal that's viewed as below market, nor a prove it 1-year deal as solid vet.  Negotiating takes a little time for FS & LT vets who are avg or better before training camp even starts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think I’m the only guy who just doesn’t see LT as a huge need.  Lucas was capable.  They drafted a guy who they think can play, they still have Charles.  

I think they already have capable options.

The cupboard is much more bare at FS.  Unless they think it can be covered by Shaze, Reeves and a bunch of other maybes....

• Like 10

No interest in paying money for a FS. Hope a young guy steps in and is average. Seems like a position not worth spending on unless elite. So much of the success for the guys at that spot is dependent on the group around them. Rather be extremely cheap and pay the known talent around them. 

Just look at a guy like Anthony Harris, some were clamoring to give him similar money to that of Collins and now he’s playing on a 1 year deal. 

Mccain at 3mil sounds about right to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think I’m the only guy who just doesn’t see LT as a huge need.  Lucas was capable.  They drafted a guy who they think can play, they still have Charles.  

The cupboard is much more bare at FS.  Unless they think it can be covered by Shaze, Reeves and a bunch of other maybes....

Totally agree LT isn’t a huge need, I think with Leno what you have is a better that average starting LT, clean medical history, 6 full seasons starting, likely wants good money but nowhere what a top LT costs, and he’s still only around 30 years old.

Whilst not an elite player, it’s probably not that common for one to be available on the market that we essentially have a clean run at, whilst hopefully also being at a reasonable asking price like he is.

So do you bring him in and secure that spot for 2-3 season. Maybe we’d end up with Leno and Moses at tackle for a couple of seasons, Cosmi and Charles inside at guard for now.

Lucas is very average, Christian is awful. Scherff should be jettisoned for a day 2 draft pick, saving 18mil in cap space in the process.

Not a massive need, but getting Leno could really help with the balance across the complete OL group for me.

As for McCain, I’d be offering him a multi year deal too. Get him in.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

you're not, it's a slight need.  But I'm not sure FS is a huge need either

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They are just trying to strengthen the roster where ever they can. the more competition at every position the better

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

They are just trying to strengthen the roster where ever they can. the more competition at every position the better

I'm on the fence with needing a high money FS. Curl can ball and is more than capable playing FS.. if St. Juste can compete on the outside with Jackson and fuller in the slot..our backend is looking more than decent

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't see how anyone can think FS is not a big need. Curl was excellent at SS and it would be foolish to move him.  They literally have nothing but unproven players at the position where there are many options at LT.  

This. 👆 Everything we have on the roster at FS looks like depth. I don’t see a bonded starting quality FS. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't see how anyone can think FS is not a big need. Curl was excellent at SS and it would be foolish to move him.  They literally have nothing but unproven players at the position where there are many options at LT.  

It’s a big need for the team, but the position itself has low value. Okay with them putting a bandaid on it this year, then getting a rookie contract to fill that slot. Providing more flexibility to keep the known talents together on defense for years to come. Need a rookie contract in that slot. 

Curl, Fuller, Collins, and Everette all have position flexibility. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This. 👆 Everything we have on the roster at FS looks like depth. I don’t see a bonded starting quality FS. 

If Curl can play slot corner, I think he can cover well enough to do FS

45 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

51 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The same reason fans think tall WRs should move to TE after they bust and the same reason coaches don't do that often. It's a totally different position with totally different reads and responsibilities. 

Remember those years we kept putting old corners like Springs and Hall at FS, because Woodson was good at it? Then we'd wonder why we always get killed deep. Good times. Glad RRco understand the need at FS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s a big need for the team, but the position itself has low value. Okay with them putting a bandaid on it this year, then getting a rookie contract to fill that slot. Providing more flexibility to keep the known talents together on defense for years to come. Need a rookie contract in that slot. 

Curl, Fuller, Collins, and Everette all have position flexibility. 

Agree with this.  You don’t want long term money tied up in FS when you need to pay the DL in the future.  I see Roberts being in the mix for FS snaps.

I’d rather put money in a third DE (Kerrigan) over FS and LT.  

DE, FS, LT is the current order of needs as of today.  

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The same reason fans think tall WRs should move to TE after they bust and the same reason coaches don't do that often. It's a totally different position with totally different reads and responsibilities. 

Remember those years we kept putting old corners like Springs and Hall at FS, because Woodson was good at it? Then we'd wonder why we always get killed deep. Good times. Glad RRco understand the need at FS.

Didn't Hall keep getting hurt in his FS years making it hard to actually judge?

Leno - Flowers - Roullier - Scherff - Moses

Cosmi - Schweitzer - Ismael - Charles - Lucas 

our backup OL might not be a bad unit. 

Have to Imagine this means Charles either sucks and is not meant for the NFL or he’s permanently moving to RG or RT. You drafted Cosmi to play LT longterm. You signed Leno to start their in 2021. You traded for Flowers to compete at LG where Schweitzer was already competent. In my mind Charles either kicks to RG or RT or isn’t in the longterm plans 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

Leno has signed with us. Lets go..............

1 year 5 million 

Perfect. 

Feel really good about this OL. 

The one year buffer for Cosmi to learn his technique. There could be something there with Cosmi as an eligible pass catcher in the RZ. A few TDs would really be something else. 

Edited by Silvernon
Spell check error
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

Leno has signed with us. Lets go..............

1 year 5 million 

Been waiting on this for 3 days straight! Can't believe it happened while I was watching.
Don't know the ramifications for Schweitzer or Ismael, but I don't they've seen enough of Charles to cut him this soon.