Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Rivera creating competition as much as possible is an ingredient I was unaware of when hired. His willingness to create competition combined with  An ability to create meaningful relationships with players is his super power/elite traits as a coach that I’m seeing to date. 

• Like 10

I haven't spent the time yet to study the O line from last season.  But Bullock did.  And so did someone else, forgetting whom.  Both said that Lucas wasn't as strong as some thought last year, they had to aide him by giving extra help on his side of the line among other things. 

As for Cosmi, some draft geek types think he'd be a better OG or RT versus LT.    I haven't dived into their explanations that much to get a good feel as for why.  I am just saying that Leno might have a shot to cement himself at LT.  It might not be crazy that Cosmi is groomed as a replacement down the road at LT or maybe even RT?  Moses is signed through 2022 but I believe has no guaranteed money left in the 2022 season but more on point he said he's considered retirement in the recent past.     So wonder if there is some fear of Moses retiring?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This is kind of misleading, and it's not just ESPN.  PFF had us as a Top ranked OL as well.  But it's easy to get good pass block win rates when Alex Smith is throwing the ball before a pass rush as a chance to do anything.

I also don't like looking at individual OL players for these types of things.  The unit as a whole has to play together.  Sometimes players with good grades/ratings are partially there due to easier responsibilities.  While a worse graded player with more talent is getting the tougher assignments like reach blocks.  Or taking an extra beat to help a teammates block before climbing to the second level.

I'm pretty sure the ESPN PBWR stat credits a blocker with a "Win" if they sustain their block for >2.5 seconds.  So I don't think Smith throwing the ball out quickly has much of an effect on that stat.  Not as familiar with how the run block win rate stat is calculated.

PFF claim to isolate QB play from OL play, but who knows how successful they actually are.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Rivera creating competition as much as possible is an ingredient I was unaware of when hired. His willingness to create competition combined with  An ability to create meaningful relationships with players is his super power/elite traits as a coach that I’m seeing to date. 

He's not considered per se as one of the best chess players among NFL coaches.  But most consider him one of the best leaders and culture builders among NFL coaches.

IMO he's done a really nice job this off season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Adding to this.  Charles Leno said Rivera was the main reason why he signed here.  He said Rivera isn't just a football guy but also is a life coach and he wants to be a part of that.   He talked about how they bonded by talking about things that went beyond football.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm pretty sure the ESPN PBWR stat credits a blocker with a "Win" if they sustain their block for >2.5 seconds.  So I don't think Smith throwing the ball out quickly has much of an effect on that stat.  Not as familiar with how the run block win rate stat is calculated.

So if the ball is thrown at 2.3 seconds, that play isn't recorded for PBWR?  With Alex Smith at QB that must be a small sample size.

I love the signing, we now have quality depth across the entire O line which will be important in the 2nd half of the season, would love to think nobody gets hurt throughout the season but we all know it doesn't work that way.

Rons killing it this offseason.

• Like 5

Leno had 7 AV last season and has had 8+ AV seasons before.  He's an above average starter who is probably about as good as Moses is.  This was a good signing for both parties.  He gets a starting job with an improving team and a chance to test the market again in a better cap environment.  We get a proven starter in a prove it deal.

It puts Christian and Charles on notice too.  Cosmi will make the team, but they might not.

It's good for Cosmi too.  I love him, but not necessarily as a rookie starter LT.  It'd be nice if he could redshirt this season.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's not considered per se as one of the best chess players among NFL coaches.  But most consider him one of the best leaders and culture builders among NFL coaches.

IMO he's done a really nice job this off season. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Adding to this.  Charles Leno said Rivera was the main reason why he signed here.  He said Rivera isn't just a football guy but also is a life coach and he wants to be a part of that.   He talked about how they bonded by talking about things that went beyond football.

It excites me because it helps level the playing field for Washington when comparing coaches. Like you mentioned, it doesn’t appear he’s creating any advantages schematically week to week. I envision a roster stuffed full of competition at every turn. It takes a special leader (and most importantly, winning) to have the individual player prioritize the team. The players trust that he will take care of them as long as they take care of the team. 

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So if the ball is thrown at 2.3 seconds, that play isn't recorded for PBWR?  With Alex Smith at QB that must be a small sample size.

Who knew, Alex Smith was way ahead of his time— meaning, the whole NFL gets the ball quickly these days. 

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So if the ball is thrown at 2.3 seconds, that play isn't recorded for PBWR? 

I believe that's the case.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

With Alex Smith at QB that must be a small sample size.

Per Next Gen Stats, Alex Smith had a Time to Throw stat of 2.63 seconds, which was in the top 15 of fastest releases... for reference, Fitzpatrick was at 2.38 seconds, which was 2nd fastest after Big Ben.

• Thanks 3

I love this signing. The OL competition and going up against our DL everyday should hopefully sharpen that unit by default, im hoping we have a unit of a bunch of guys playing well above their actual skillset and talents. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It excites me because it helps level the playing field for Washington when comparing coaches. Like you mentioned, it doesn’t appear he’s creating any advantages schematically week to week. I envision a roster stuffed full of competition at every turn. It takes a special leader (and most importantly, winning) to have the individual player prioritize the team. The players trust that he will take care of them as long as they take care of the team. 

They seem to prioritize high character/hard working players in the draft.  I thought it was interesting both listening to the interviews of the players they drafted, reading about them including what their coaches thought of them.  They were just about all high character, hard workers, team first type of players on steroids.

I wish I could find the quote but Mayhew had a really telling one recently when he talked about the championship teams he was a part of had special locker rooms and special culture.  

Clearly they are trying to create that here. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/john-lynch-says-martin-mayhew-helped-49ers-establish-championship-culture

“Martin has played an integral role in helping to establish a sustainable, championship culture over the last four years," Lynch said Friday in a statement.

https://sports.yahoo.com/martin-mayhew-says-young-talent-135606676.html

“I think Coach Rivera did a great job last year of sort of working on changing the culture and you can see that,” Mayhew said. “

https://news.yahoo.com/fits-culture-ron-rivera-martin-051001306.html

"He understands our culture. A tremendous background, a background I look for," Rivera said during a Zoom call with the media Thursday night.

"A very smart, intelligent young man. Plays the game at the right tempo," Rivera continued. "He understands what they do and that will translate very well to how we do things."

Shortly after, general manager Martin Mayhew echoed the head coach's thoughts.

"He checks the box of being just a great football character guy," Mayhew said. "He fits us, he fits what we're trying to do and he fits our culture."

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

It was always weird to me that going on IR meant your season was over.

It’s a Washington Football Team rule. 
When Gibbs and Betheard ran the team we always had future players PRACTICING on injured reserve. They had to make a rule that if you went on IR, not only couldn’t you practice, you also couldn’t play that year. JEALOUS!

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The same reason fans think tall WRs should move to TE after they bust and the same reason coaches don't do that often. It's a totally different position with totally different reads and responsibilities.

Yeah, but Mix was TALL.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I love this signing. The OL competition and going up against our DL everyday should hopefully sharpen that unit by default, im hoping we have a unit of a bunch of guys playing well above their actual skillset and talents. 

Both 1st and 2nd lines are looking very strong. Maybe not the 2nd line DEs. 

Certainly should help improve everyone's game. Competition is key for young players to reach their peak potential. 

Ben Standig brought up an interesting point in his latest article on the athletic. With this logjam at tackle, what are the chances we trade one of our backups who probably won’t make our team to someone else for a late round pick? 

Last year we traded a 6th round pick for David Sharpe and a 7th. Now it looks like he’ll have a hard time even making the team. 

It’d be nice if we could recoup that 5th round pick we traded to the Eagles. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Ben Standig brought up an interesting point in his latest article on the athletic. With this logjam at tackle, what are the chances we trade one of our backups who probably won’t make our team to someone else for a late round pick? 

Last year we traded a 6th round pick for David Sharpe and a 7th. Now it looks like he’ll have a hard time even making the team. 

It’d be nice if we could recoup that 5th round pick we traded to the Eagles. 

If we can get anything for Sharpe, Christian, Martin, etc that would be a welcome surprise. 😂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Leno had 7 AV last season and has had 8+ AV seasons before.  He's an above average starter who is probably about as good as Moses is.  This was a good signing for both parties.  He gets a starting job with an improving team and a chance to test the market again in a better cap environment.  We get a proven starter in a prove it deal.

It puts Christian and Charles on notice too.  Cosmi will make the team, but they might not.

It's good for Cosmi too.  I love him, but not necessarily as a rookie starter LT.  It'd be nice if he could redshirt this season.

I don't think it effects Charles.  I keep hearing he's more likely to play guard than tackle and they supposedly are high on him.   I'd think Christian and W. Martin are on thin ice. 

Christian could be interesting this year.  He wasn't impressive last year but he did appear to make strides from the previous year.  Who knows, if he continues to develop, he may prove to be a commodity for a mid round pick.

• Like 1