Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, skeenzfan said:

 

I disagree with this approach. Signing UDFA's and seeing if you find a starter/contributor is a very low risk move. You never know when one of them will outplay your backup or third stringer and make the team. A total of 33 UDFA made the initial 53 roster last year. That is an average of 2 per team.  James Robinson and  Balenkship were UDFA's.  

I agree with this, but they have their 90 (or whatever they’re at right now).  They got rid of guys like Moss and Brantley, so they’re willing to move on from guys, I think they just like the guys they have.  The bummer is the tryouts, but I guess the positive Covid case screwed things up there...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

 

Canade is really tough on who crosses their border and who's allowed back in. They don't yet have the Covid vax and quarantine those who re-enter. I wonder if the Canadian tryouts were already in the states before being sent back home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What the hell? How many Canadian DBs are we gonna have on this team?

Enough to fill a trailer park..than we can call em the trailer park boys...dohhhh hahaha lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Enough to fill a trailer park..than we can call em the trailer park boys...dohhhh hahaha lol

 

Please don't quit your day job to become a comedian. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zskins said:

 

Please don't quit your day job to become a comedian. 

I still deliver dairy milk believe it or not...

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


And more importantly because then, who would deliver all the milk? 

That..is...amazing you remember that!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He knows what pretty much all of us should know, there's no way an UDFA is going to make this roster. 

He also knows there are going to be a lot more cuts coming and they want to sign more FA guys on one year deals.    I like this strategy because it provides more quality depth on a football team, and allows you to develop players in later stages.    It is a little more expensive to have a lot of your depth as cheap FA"s on short deals but if you do not like them you can cut them quickly and start over next year.    I don't think RR and co like they idea of having too many rookies on the roster that can't be relied upon to play quality snaps at any position.  If one developmental guy has to start and isn't ready to play, it can derail a whole season.  Like when Rudolph went down one year in Carolina and they had a backup TE who was not ready.   I really don't know if that's how they think but it seems likely to me that resiliency is a key aspect of their strategy.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like cap space sat at around 13mil after rookies signed up and included.

 

That doesn’t include the Leno 5mil deal. Face value you would think that would drop cap space to 8mil, however I will take a guess we have added voidable years and/or incentives within the 5mil which reduce the 2021 cap hit.

 

Certainly enough for McCain, or one or two other vets if added.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Looks like cap space sat at around 13mil after rookies signed up and included.

 

That doesn’t include the Leno 5mil deal. Face value you would think that would drop cap space to 8mil, however I will take a guess we have added voidable years and/or incentives within the 5mil which reduce the 2021 cap hit.

 

Certainly enough for McCain, or one or two other vets if added.

Signing McCain and extending one our own would be nice

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Looks like cap space sat at around 13mil after rookies signed up and included.

 

That doesn’t include the Leno 5mil deal. Face value you would think that would drop cap space to 8mil, however I will take a guess we have added voidable years and/or incentives within the 5mil which reduce the 2021 cap hit.

 

Certainly enough for McCain, or one or two other vets if added.


Looking at top 51 and likeliest cuts, I think the guy that drops off is 800-900k or so meaning Leno’s effective hit is about 4mill (depending on the other items you mention).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CurseReversed said:

He also knows there are going to be a lot more cuts coming and they want to sign more FA guys on one year deals.

 

There really aren't a lot more cuts coming. There will eventually be the big cut down to 53. And teams will constantly tinker on the back end of their 90 man roster. But there's little reason at this point to just cut good useful players. Post draft typically has the last small wave.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Signing McCain and extending one our own would be nice


aside from Scherff, it’s also give quiet with Jon Allen, considering we were apparently ‘talking’ in December. I think FA and deals like Leonard Williams have blew the market open there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:


aside from Scherff, it’s also give quiet with Jon Allen, considering we were apparently ‘talking’ in December. I think FA and deals like Leonard Williams have blew the market open there too.

One thing I really like about RR and Co.  they will not overpay for a FA.  They will let McCain circle around and hopefully he signs with us.  If he finds a better deal than good for him.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RWJ said:

One thing I really like about RR and Co.  they will not overpay for a FA.  They will let McCain circle around and hopefully he signs with us.  If he finds a better deal than good for him.  :)

Yeah, it’s also nice to not be in a desperate position with our roster or cap. We can be selectively aggressive, but generally only strike when the deal is good. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

One thing I really like about RR and Co.  they will not overpay for a FA.  They will let McCain circle around and hopefully he signs with us.  If he finds a better deal than good for him.  :)

Every single time Washington signs a high priced free agent it doesn’t work.  Because every single time they do it is when they’re not just one piece away from greatness.  Not even close.  I’m very happy with this current approach.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Every single time Washington signs a high priced free agent it doesn’t work.  Because every single time they do it is when they’re not just one piece away from greatness.  Not even close.  I’m very happy with this current approach.

They are close to that one more piece now though. 

 

A top QB would put this team as a SB contender. Heck this defense alone could get them to the championship game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

They are close to that one more piece now though. 

 

A top QB would put this team as a SB contender. Heck this defense alone could get them to the championship game. 

Next year with Fitz signed for one more year to mentor our franchise QB we draft next year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Next year with Fitz signed for one more year to mentor our franchise QB we draft next year.  

I didn't want Watson pre-complete mess, and to my disappointment Rodgers seems like a pipedream. Don't love Russ Wilson with this O. 

 

You may be right. 

 

Problem is I see this team doing well with Fitzmagic and that doesn't get you a top QB

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Every single time Washington signs a high priced free agent it doesn’t work.  Because every single time they do it is when they’re not just one piece away from greatness.  Not even close.  I’m very happy with this current approach.

Like what the Giants did with Galloday’s contract. Big money and they aren’t one player away. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...