Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

Now that Everett has signed I can’t think of one. Pitts would be the dream scenario in that regard, but I don’t see that as being remotely possible at 19. 

Would we consider trading up 10-11 spots to land Pitts?

48 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Seems sparse on FA TEs from the pool I've seen so is there one available other than Rudolph?

I've mentioned him before but Robert Tonyan (Packers) who has a 2nd round tender.  I know, it's a pick but if we're planning to spend one anyway on a TE does it make sense to go proven?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cant remember  the last time the WFT had the roster depth to be able to truly make BPA picks in most of the draft rounds.  We seemed to always have a major hole or two that needed addressing.   Its a great feeling.  Arguably you could say that  LB is the only  position that they probably need to draft a guy in the first few rounds, but compared to years past, they are pretty flexible.

As a hypothetical, lets say that the available guys to choose from at 19 are:

Jaycee Horn

Darrisaw

Harris

Collins

Bateman

Who do you think they should take in that scenario?   Or are they all so close together that you try for a trade down later in the first, betting that one of them will still be there?  Even if you can only net a 3rd in a trade like that, if you feel like these guys are all studs and one of them will last, you might be willing to take the risk.

I am partial to Collins in this scenario but I would be happy with any of those guys there, which is why a trade down seems like such a good move. Especially if they really like some other LB's they feel certain they can get later.   I do not think the WFT needs to draft LT in the first.  They have Lucas on a good deal, and while he needs an upgrade, he is more then serviceable and a perfect stop gap while S. Charles and another 2nd/3rd round guy compete to take over in 2022.  If neither of them work out you can try again next year. 

If Darrisaw is available at 19 with a bunch of other guys we like, its very tempting to pick him outright, but it also might be the perfect scenario to tempt a team behind us like KC to offer a good trade up deal.  That might be a little to far back in the first for my tastes, but going back to the mid 20's could be perfect to still grab one of those guys an scoop an extra 3rd or more. 

Lots of fun possibilities to work with here. 

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

What FA TEs available are vertical threats?

Just Everett? 

Isn’t that Thomas’ strength already?

I was kind of confused by that as well, Logan Thomas is already a threat down the seam. I’d think we want someone more well-rounded.

Sticking with vertical threat though, Jared Cook is really the only proven guy I can think of who fits that category. For unproven you could see maybe Dan Arnold from ARI. I would have said Mo Alie-Cox but he was tendered by IND, 2nd round. 

13 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I could only see us moving up that far if a QB falls, personally. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CurseReversed said:

I cant remember  the last time the WFT had the roster depth to be able to truly make BPA picks in most of the draft rounds.  We seemed to always have a major hole or two that needed addressing.   Its a great feeling.  Arguably you could say that  LB is the only  position that they probably need to draft a guy in the first few rounds, but compared to years past, they are pretty flexible.

As a hypothetical, lets say that the available guys to choose from at 19 are:

Jaycee Horn

Darrisaw

Harris

Collins

Bateman

I am still amazed at the talent that will be available at 19!

I would look to trade down a little firs to grab another day 2 pick. This draft is so deep.

If that doesn't work I would battle between Darrisaw and Collins. In my head I know Darrisaw is the correct answer but I probably take Zaven

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So, this is a strange coincidence...I’m on FB, and on JP Finlays post about Curtis Samuel coming to DC, one of the comments is “i think it moved!”

now, I’m like “huh....that was a thread back in January, the day after our playoff loss”. So i ask If he’s from ES. Turns out, he is, however he hasn’t been on in a long while, so he doesn’t know what thread I’m referencing. 

I did not post on Facebook.  Also there has been distinct movement following the signing s of Fitz, Jackson, and Samuel, can confirm.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see this at all from pretty much anyone.

And who is the “hope player b rebounds” in this scenario? 

Slump? Sims Jr? Collins? ...take your pick. 

Listen, I’m as thrilled as anyone about the direction in which the team is heading and I couldn’t be happier about free agency this far. Hell, I’m one of the few people who believes that as owners go, you can probably do worse than Dan Snyder. 

....it’s just that I’m jaded, cynical and even worse, I find the pontifical nature of these threads a bit predictable. Heck, the “Trung Candidate is going to save the world” thread is still leaving a bad taste in my mouth. 

At any rate, I just had to voice my sarcasm. I feel better now and will continue to lurk as if it’s my first. 😬

Edited by Morrissey1972
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Don’t sleep on Thaddeus Moss. I know it’s more a long shot but I’m excited to see what he can do when healthy. He’s not a vertical speed but but he can block and catch. Curious to see how we rely on him or if he even makes the team. 

Think Keim mentioned Ron would like a vertical TE Threat and a Blocking TE to supplement Logan Thomas

You have to think we aren’t gonna spend either draft capital or cap space on two TE’s, Thaddeus has a big opportunity to fill that Blocking TE role, BIG

1 minute ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Think Keim mentioned Ron would like a vertical TE Threat and a Blocking TE to supplement Logan Thomas

You have to think we aren’t gonna spend either draft capital or cap space on two TE’s, Thaddeus has a big opportunity to fill that Blocking TE role, BIG

Kyle Rudolph? Good blocker with some skill, maybe a few years left?

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am still amazed at the talent that will be available at 19!

I would look to trade down a little firs to grab another day 2 pick. This draft is so deep.

If that doesn't work I would battle between Darrisaw and Collins. In my head I know Darrisaw is the correct answer but I probably take Zaven

Yea , I really like all of those guys.  If we could trade down just 6-7 spots and pick up a 3rd it would be perfect.  For me I would Have to choose between Collins and Harris.   If this team can find one of those truly great RB's that come out of college and just dominate right off the bat, that is SOOOO tempting.  That is what really could put this team on another level more then any other player.  But at the same time there might be other RB's that good later in the draft....

• Like 1

Moss has the “it” factor for me. Every round after R4 that passed that we didn’t take him I got more and more annoyed. Of course we got him as an UDFA so there was something there teams were afraid of. The injury. The Covid off season with no facility rehab etc. but at LSU he always has a knack for making plays and he was a heralded blocker. I know he didn’t have speed but he has hands and blocking abilities and a tape at LSU that was very impressive. 

Our 2022 cap space is currently $90mr and $143m in 2023. With Samuel + Draft pool, that number probably drops to around $70m ... but I assume most of the contracts that we do between now and the end of FA would have nominal 2022 or 2023 impacts ... so we are still in a great position cap-wise next year. I would think we likely go into 2022 with around 60-70m in cap space, which should still be a pretty solid position to be in.

You gotta include some extensions (Scherff, Allen) in that number ... but assuming Year 1 of new deal hits are lower than the APY, you'll still have a decent chunk of $$ going forward. Nice flexibility, and none of the contracts we signed this year are in any way hamstringing us going forward.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

I really can't see that happening.

TE isn't generally a position you're going to see teams give up future 1st rounders to move up for. And while Pitts is an amazing receiving threat, he's really more of a big bodied WR than a true TE because of his size; he's not much of a blocker at all. He seems to be willing, but just not big enough. And if you asked him to add another 20 lbs who knows how much that would affect his game.

IMO he's definitely not in Gronk or Kelce territory as far as being an all-around elite TE.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Kyle Rudolph? Good blocker with some skill, maybe a few years left?

He and Cook are the best available for sure.

It is that over 30 pool that I think (other than Fitz) they are reluctant to dip into. Like Rudolph and Cook at TE, 32 year old Wright would be the best LB add.

Hollister is another name the could go at for low cost. He just isn't that great. Dan Arnold has been named in a few recent articles posted

Re: TEs ... some are higher picks, but rarely do the Hocks/Fants/Njoku/Howards of the world end up panning out. I know Pitts is truly ELITE, BUT ... most really good TEs are found in Rounds 3-5. Just keep hitting those rounds every year or two until you find THE guy.

Kittle was a 5th. Kelce a 3rd. Waller ... UDFA?

So with the way FA went and most of the holes plugged minus lb this is when I would push for a trade up to the 6-10 range and get fields our lance.  

When the rgiii trade was made the team had more holes and wasn't the right time.   I say go for it and get the QB and let him marinate for a yr

Edited by boston skins fan

4 hours ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Seriously good news about Curtis Samuel brilliant by Ron and the Marty’s to get it done and a decent deal financially too

Still need one more imo, greedy? You bet but you can never stock up on too many weapons I’d personally like to see

#1 McLaurin

#2 Samuel

#3 FA Vet or Top 3 rounds draft pick

#4 Cam Sims

#5 AGG or Harmon

Steve Sims to leave hasn’t kicked on as we’d have hoped and couldn’t catch Covid on punt returns

I think Harmon is waived......Cam can play and I think he's a really good WR who is progressing and getting better.

I'm anxious to see how AGG comes into camp.  I have a feeling he's going to be 20 pounds heavier and he becomes a versatile WR/TE.  But as much as some do not like Sims....he's a poor man's Curtis Samuel.  He needs to progress but he's going to make the roster.

49 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I've mentioned him before but Robert Tonyan (Packers) who has a 2nd round tender.  I know, it's a pick but if we're planning to spend one anyway on a TE does it make sense to go proven?

He's very good, HigSkin.  Don't know if RR would give up a 2nd or not.  He values draft picks.  If we did sign him to a contract it would have to be for more than 3.3 mill (per year) which he is making this year on the tender and the Pack would have a week to match it so we would have to wait it out a week.  

• Like 1