Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Cam Sims was on the improve with weak QB play and being our #2 WR by default. The signing of Samuel should open up his opportunities big time. The jury is still out on Harmon and Gandy-Golden, but whoever is out there with McLaurin and Samuel are going to get their targets.

I'd also expect with McLaurin's and Samuel's speed to really stretch out the opposing defenses, that the underneath routes are going to be wide open with lots of room to scoot after the catch. 

Our offense just got a whole lot better and it's gonna be scary hours for defenses going against us.  

26 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Cam Sims was on the improve with weak QB play and being our #2 WR by default. The signing of Samuel should open up his opportunities big time. The jury is still out on Harmon and Gandy-Golden, but whoever is out there with McLaurin and Samuel are going to get their targets.

I'd also expect with McLaurin's and Samuel's speed to really stretch out the opposing defenses, that the underneath routes are going to be wide open with lots of room to scoot after the catch. 

Our offense just got a whole lot better and it's gonna be scary hours for defenses going against us.  

Yeah, not so much.  I'd say they went from below average to above average.  Fitz and Samuels helped a bunch for an underwhelming 7-9 offense.  I'd assume they're worth a few more W's....so, not scary.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

It's one of the reasons why Fitz was my favorite target among the 2nd tier types.  The dude can move the ball.  I said before we got him he would be the guy of all the possibilities we had available who might actually attract a WR or at least not repel them.  He's obviously not an elite QB.

But he's also no joke.  5th in the league in QBR.  He's beloved around the league as a teammate.  He will help get WRs paid because they will get plenty of targets.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

If not in FA I hope we draft another WR high in the draft, who knows if NY picks up Golladay and another team ahead of us in the draft picks up JuJu they may see other positions as a priority in the draft coupled with teams getting QB hungry a miracle could happen and one of those stud receivers falls in reach of us

If Ron doesn’t fancy Collins and is looking to cut him there’s still good value at safety with Boston, Hooker and Harris all still out there would all be good pickups

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

See a lot of people saying Steve Sims Jr is gone.  I hope not. He has all the talent in the world.  He had the sophomore slump with a case of fumblitis.  He’s another quick cat on offense. Imagine a trips speed set with McLaurin, Samuel, and Sims Jr.

Quick but certainly not fast.  He can hang as a backup slot WR, maybe.   Samuel's emergence seemed to coincide with the Panthers moving him to the slot so I presume the WFT will keep him there.  Not sure Sims has the size to play outside. 

2 minutes ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

See a lot of people saying Steve Sims Jr is gone.  I hope not. He has all the talent in the world.  He had the sophomore slump with a case of fumblitis.  He’s another quick cat on offense. Imagine a trips speed set with McLaurin, Samuel, and Sims Jr.

I know he has a lot of support but he’d have been one of the players from last season that I’d have been quick to get rid of, he has issues catching the ball which for a wideout and punt returner is shall we say less than ideal

Theres a ton of better available receivers and the draft is stacked with them too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

Logan Thomas could have a big year with the underneath getting cleared out, he is very good with YAC and having less traffic around at the time of the catch will only increase his YAC.

• Like 2

Get us Malik Hooker and a competent LB body and I'm happy as a pig in ****. As it stands now I'm cautiously optimistic. Just need to take care of LB, FS as far as needs go...

Then upgrades at LT, TE, CB3, potentially QB and a bellcow type back and a boundary type receiver )this includes the tight ends that aren't really tight ends). (Not listed in order of preferred upgrades)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Get us Malik Hooker and a competent LB body and I'm happy as a pig in ****. As it stands now I'm cautiously optimistic. Just need to take care of LB, FS as far as needs go...

Then upgrades at LT, TE, CB3, potentially QB and a bellcow type back and a boundary type receiver )this includes the tight ends that aren't really tight ends). (Not listed in order of preferred upgrades)

Where's my punt returner!  I cant take another year of holding my breath during every punt.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t love him. I don’t think he has the sideline to sideline chops and I’m not big on his coverage. He is good downhill but I don’t like his coverage for a 4-2 inside. I’d like him

more as a true Mike.

I guess there is fine line that I don't see between some of thee guys that are able to with the 4-2. That's why many of us here find your LB thoughts intriguing.  

So have my thoughts of CJ Mosley being a good fit incorrect? And what are your thoughts on Kwon Alexander and Eric Wilson fitting?

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd go Anthony Harris if they can get him at a reasonable price but I suspect Tre Boston more likely at FS.

Sadly, almost nothing left at LB.  for me its KJ Wright or bust and i am not 100% sold on him either considering he was moved to OLB-strong side last year.

Keim stressing hard on twitter that they are looking TE -- not sure if its still FA or draft.

Keim also pushing QB a bit harder than I noticed previously.  And I'll stick to my impression on that front that it more likely means one of the top QBs in this draft (trading up) then a flier later in the draft.  Feels like LT-LB or QB in the first now.  Maybe I'll change my mind later on -- on that but that's how it feels to me now. 

I have to listen to Cooley's take on Fitz from listening to Sheehan now.  From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees him as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them.  Fitz goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to listen to Cooley's take on Fitz from listening to Sheehan now.  From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees him as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them.  Fitz goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against.

I think that being able to read through progressions is what made Heinekie stand out so much in the Tampa game. Though him not being a statue and being able to move around helped buy him the time to go through reads.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd go Anthony Harris if they can get him at a reasonable price but I suspect Tre Boston more likely at FS.

It is amazing that Hooker and Harris are still available, plus Boston being added in.

I am hoping the take a run at Harris or Hooker.  I don't understand it but what I have read so far makes it look like they may not be that expensive.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I strongly suspect we will sign at least one FA linebacker on a one year prove it deal. Not sure there is a guy out there that we want to pay free agent money to on a longer contract.

This is my thought as well. No way JDR and Rivera feel good about our LB group right now. They’ll definitely use FA to sign one guy to a one year stop gap contract, and find another in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I think that being able to read through progressions is what made Heinekie stand out so much in the Tampa game. Though him not being a statue and being able to move around helped buy him the time to go through reads.

Yeah, as much as he was a gamer. Smith wanted to get the ball out immediately. So, while he can go through his progressions, I don't think he trusted his leg or our line enough to do so regularly. He wanted the ball out.

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I guess there is fine line that I don't see between some of thee guys that are able to with the 4-2. That's why many of us here find your LB thoughts intriguing.  

So have my thoughts of CJ Mosley being a good fit incorrect? And what are your thoughts on Kwon Alexander and Eric Wilson fitting?

I haven’t watched those guys enough in the pros to give any real analysis from what I’ve seen, especially with Mosley not playing last season. 

The 4-2 inside guys have to be able to cover and play the run. They don’t have to be perfect, but they have to be able to range.

Holcomb possesses the entire skill set but he just doesn’t get downhill on run and fill the gaps like you’d want. But those are the kind of backers you want... guys like Holcomb. Can be a touch slower if they fill hard and get to drops/coverage assignments. But they have to play with instincts. 

They are more like dudes who play OLB but can thump for an “easy” description. That’s why I don’t think JOK is a fit for us in the least at the ILB but would fit well as an outside the box edge defender. Doesn’t have the size or contact affection.

Guys like Zaven Collins are literally the epitome of what you want from a 4-2 inside in my opinion. Holcomb, if he gets downhill more... which is a major issue... is another guy. 

We add one solid ILB and I’m okay. I still don’t love the LB group but I’m a lot more comfortable. 

• Thanks 1