Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

So is it safe to say our current depth chart for LB:

SLB - Holcomb, VACANT

MLB - VACANT, Bostic

WLB - VACANT, Hudson

I don't expect Foster or JHC to make the team.  

So hopefully we get two starting lbs, one in FA and one in the draft, and draft a late round slb/teams player.  Then look to potentially upgrade SLB next year, with holcomb playing the backup/teams role.

I didn't see the Jets signed jarrad davis til right now.  DOH!

Maybe avery williamson as an early down thumper?  Would be relatively low cost, and could be a bridge to future mlb.  Seems like he had a decent showing in 2020 with pitt.  But is he too similar to bostic, and why replace him with a carbon copy?

Kwon alexander won't be healthy by the opener, and he is coming if a major achilles injury, but maybe sign him to a reasonable multi yr deal knowing year 1 will be limited?

Kyle Van noy is talented, and can play all three lb positions.  He would be a great guy to have while we sort out our lb unit. 

KJ Wright has been mentioned here plenty, definitely an upgrade for us, and would fill our wlb need.

Elandon roberts could be a good stopgap for us at mlb.  Supposedly he is pretty stout vs the run, and the Patriots brass seemed to like him, which is a good sign for a lb.   

Hopefully we get a starter at lb in free agency soon, then another relatively early in the draft.  The depth chart is very weak as it stands right now.

The Bengals have offered Kenny Golladay a one-year, prove-it type of deal, per sources. He was with Cincinnati OC Brian Callahan in Detroit when Golladay was a rookie.                                   

One annual reminder: More years on a deal in the NFL isn't like in baseball/basketball/hockey. In most cases, in football, more years = team-friendly. So if a player's market isn't what he thought it'd be, a 1-year deal can be preferable.

Why? Easiest way back to the market.

Edited by Sknsnation
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

I'm curious about the plans for LB this offseason. There are a couple in FA that would fit but I'd like Zaven Collins in the draft as he could play OLB or ILB 

I hope they go that route too.  I just love the idea of another monster sized athlete roaming the middle of the field to go along with our ends.  To top it if off usually guys with measurables like him have some red flag or weakness in their game that knocks them out of the top tier.  Zaven doesnt really have too many weaknesses.  Speed, size, productivity, Football IQ, leadership...really solid.  He might need some coaching but he seems to be the full package.  I like Jones more then him and maybe Harris but otherwise, he's my top want at 19 assuming nobody crazy drops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Our available cap space advantage definitely dried up quick.  We only have the 13th most cap room available right now.  Even "cap strapped" Tampa is ahead of us after some pretty significant moves they've made.

The way things are going at QB, and I'm not complaining, we're gonna be well under the cap next year too because we have little money allocated to that position and no one on the horizon to pay big bucks to next year and beyond. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sknsnation said:

The Bengals have offered Kenny Golladay a one-year, prove-it type of deal, per sources. He was with Cincinnati OC Brian Callahan in Detroit when Golladay was a rookie.                                   

One annual reminder: More years on a deal in the NFL isn't like in baseball/basketball/hockey. In most cases, in football, more years = team-friendly. So if a player's market isn't what he thought it'd be, a 1-year deal can be preferable.

Why? Easiest way back to the market.

Hope Golladay takes Cincy's 1 year deal. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Our available cap space advantage definitely dried up quick.  We only have the 13th most cap room available right now.  Even "cap strapped" Tampa is ahead of us after some pretty significant moves they've made.

This is why we have to give new LTD to Sherff and Allen, that would get us around 15m more cap space. 

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Where did you find  your info?      https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Edited by Sknsnation

8 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

This is why we have to give new LTD to Sherff and Allen, that would get us around 15m more cap space. 

I'd be surprised if either of them ink an LTD before next season. They and their agents both know that the cap will go up a bunch in 2022 so to maximize the money they can get they'll likely refuse to do so this year. 

Though Scherff has much more leverage than Allen does. Unlike Allen, Scherff has already been franchised twice, is a legit top 3 guy at his position, and doesn't have rotational guys who are almost as good as he is. The plain reality is that we're almost certainly going to have to let one of our interior DL walk at some point, given how much draft capital we've put into our DL in general. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Sun's going down, vampire Ron is awakening and the deals will be posting soon. 

Right now he's stretching, walking into the kitchen, turns on the Keurig and makes an omlette. 

He logs onto Twitter, yawns, checks what's going on and then begins to make some calls. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

Right now he's stretching, walking into the kitchen, turns on the Keurig and makes an omlette. 

He logs onto Twitter, yawns, checks what's going on and then begins to make some calls. 

I don't think I've ever seen Ron outside without sunglasses on, I'm getting highly suspicious now. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

HIs first call is to Dan Snyder's wife, making sure she and Dan are comfortable in their cell phone isolated cabin in Iceland where they have no transportation but enough gourmet food, wine and cable television to last them 4 months. He then checks in with security to make sure there is no way Dan can make any contact with anyone at WFT headquarters. 

• Like 1