Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

It’s kind of interesting that Bobby is seen as a better Slot Corner than FS by some people. I wonder if he throws his hat into the ring to compete there as well. It’d be awesome if BSJ grabbed that outside corner spot and we could have Fuller and Bobby McCain compete for slot corner and FS. 

I love the versatility and depth on our team! That versatility is a serious force multiplier when your whole damn team carries that quality. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

A quality Safety is going to get cut. Everrett or Reaves, two guys you would immediately expect to end up on someone else's roster. 

Apke is a goner. Can’t play SS, sucks at FS, previous regime.

Everett is a special teams ace, culture guy, and can play FS and SS. He played pretty well before his injury last year. I don’t think he’s going anywhere this year, but it’s possible if Forrest lights it up he takes his job. More likely next year IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Tough call.  I'd probably lean Reaves, but I like Everett and what he has done for us.  I also think some on this board are expecting a little too much out of Reaves. 

But the cons on Everett are age (and hence cost), position (curl will have SS filled for the foreseeable future), and as you said, injury history.  Everett will probably be out of the league in a few years. 

The pros with Reaves are age (and hence lower short term cost), he plays a position FS where we currently have a long term need, and he has potential to blossom into a player that is better than expected.  

My guess is neither makes the squad and the team signs Tre Boston.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:39 PM, CapsSkins said:

Is it confirmed that Chicago is moving on from Trubisky or is that just people's educated guesses?

Seeing as how Trubiskey is now a backup with the Bills I'd lean towards their having moved on from him. 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 6

Love the patient and measured approach the front office has taken this offseaon and love the haul they managed to bring in between free agency and the draft.  With the addition of McCain this defense is going to be a problem next season.  Both impressed and genuinely excited about the direction the team is headed.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Q about the PS.  The rule is you can poach players but you have to put them on your active roster.  Can a PS player decline to be poached and remain on his team's PS?  I get that most players would jump at the chance of an active roster, but to each his own.

Yes. A practice squad player can decline to sign elsewhere. They generally don't decline such an opportunity for the reasons already stated. But it is possible. You can also pay practice squad players more to not leave.

• Thanks 2

Video is essentially a hilight reel of his best plays the last few years....

Kid is shown making plays all over the field-- in the box, alone deep, tight man coverage on te's and wr's, playing zone, making plays in the red zone etc.

Clearly has a good sense of things. A feel for what the qb wants to do.

Looks like a real playmaker in the backend. Something we haven't had in quite some time...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

My guess is neither makes the squad and the team signs Tre Boston.

Before McCain was cut, I was hoping for hooker, then Boston as a consolation at FS. 

But the approach of the FO this offseason seems to be to identify select targets and pounce: we did it with the first 3 FA, then also with Leno and McCain once they were made available.  It's awesome how they are all on reasonable contracts too.  

Considering that, and the fact Boston was available last offseason too, I think RR would've sealed the deal by now if they wanted him.  It could be a situation where they set a price and are waiting for Bostons demands to come down, but with the McCain signing, I think the chances of signing Boston are close to nil at this point.   I think I'd prefer an up and coming Reaves or an already acclimated Everett over Boston anyway. We are in great shape in the secondary!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Kid is shown making plays all over the field- alone deep

Looks like a real playmaker in the backend. Something we haven't had in quite some time...

Just reading that part is getting me so fired up!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Tough call.  I'd probably lean Reaves, but I like Everett and what he has done for us. 

Ev costs about $1 M more than Reeves or Apke, but between the three, Ev has 2 yrs left on his deal while the others are ending.

If you keep anyone not named Ev, you will have to probably have to pay them a little more than Ev will make the following year.

I admit I don’t know much about Bobby McCain and I only saw him play against the WFT, but from the videos and highlight clips I watched he clearly looks (at least to me) as a safety, doesn’t move like a slot corner.  He doesn’t look super fast, but he has very good instincts and reacts very well.  He looked strong near the line blitzing and as a single deep safety.  Doesn’t appear to shy away from contact and always seems to be near the ball.

It’s interesting that we signed two team Captains from the Dolphins, true to RR’s stated objectives.  It’s only the first day of rookie camp but I really like the folks we are bringing to camp.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I'm not quite understanding the logic of paying a guard $18M for one season, of whom appears to not be long for the organization.  I actually think he's a better player than a lot of folks here, but its a lot of money for a rental.

It's not over yet. They have until mid July to sign him to a long term agreement. Many times it goes down to the wire. 

If it does not happen, it sounds like he wanted a lot of money - a ridiculous amount. If so, they can't really trade him unless the new team can agree to a contract. He has already signed his tag tender. 

I am holding out hope they still get a deal done. 

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed
2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Thrilled about McCain but why only one year?! If he has as good a year as we hope/expect he's going to sign a monster contract somewhere else 😪

Usually its the player wanting the one year prove it deal to set themselves up for the bigger payday. 

• Like 1

Regarding Scherff I think the next month will tell the tale.  If he plays this year on the tag I believe it will be his last year with the WFT.   If he really wants to stay he will sign a longer term contract.  He’s a good football player with some injury issues.  It will cost him this year but he can get more guaranteed.   Somebody will surely pay him next year, but nothing near the tag money.  If it all about money, get your tag money this year and sign your multi year deal next year somewhere else.