Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm not going to say I'm worried but given that Heinicke just came back and Allen is still out, I stand by what I said in the other thread that Gilbert wasn't this massive black hole of bad play. If he had to go again it wouldn't be ideal but I don't think it's the worse option. Hopefully Heinicke is ready to go, that catching his breath is scary though. Glad his arm and knee are better

Just in time for Parsons to terrorize him again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not into making conclusions based off 1 game, but this upcoming Dallas game could prove to be huge for Heineke and his future in Washington. If he comes back and lights them up, that bodes well for him being able to overcome a great plan by a defense designed to challenge him to beat them. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Not into making conclusions based off 1 game, but this upcoming Dallas game could prove to be huge for Heineke and his future in Washington. If he comes back and lights them up, that bodes well for him being able to overcome a great plan by a defense designed to challenge him to beat them. 

I said before the last Dallas game that if Heinicke can show he can carry the team to some extent - overcoming a poor defensive performance or poor run game, I’d have a lot more faith in him to lead this team next year.  After the game, I suggested that I don’t think it is/was fair is to expect him to overcome one (or both) of those while also facing a relentless pass rush.  That’s not to excuse his poor play - he threw too many ducks up for grabs into a crowd amongst other things - but not many qbs can sustain the hits and pressures he did and still execute.  Not to mention lacking  2/3 of his top weapons in McKissick/Thomas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Let’s be real here. Heinicke was totally spooked against Dallas. We are gonna lose. And we are gonna lose huge. 

Just not sure Dallas is playing well enough to come to that conclusion. Washington will need to be healthy upfront though. 

16 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Let’s be real here. Heinicke was totally spooked against Dallas. We are gonna lose. And we are gonna lose huge. 

It's very possible TH had already started feeling pre-Covid symptoms when we played Dallas.

I'd cut him some slack this time.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, El Mexican said:

It's very possible TH had already started feeling pre-Covid symptoms when we played Dallas.

What I saw was an overwhelmed QB, not a sick one. He was literally just throwing balls in a general direction. 

Let’s hope the results are different this week. I have my doubts. 

7 hours ago, El Mexican said:

I mean, I dont think it was so much him as it was the OLine was obliterated by the Dallas Dline.  Theres no way we can beat Dallas with Oline play like the last time we played them.  

Basically the last 3 games are TH's audition for next year.  Hes played at a level where if he plays well for the last 3 he may convince the staff hes the answer, and if its mediocre or less they look for a top QB option.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

What I saw was an overwhelmed QB, not a sick one. He was literally just throwing balls in a general direction. 

Let’s hope the results are different this week. I have my doubts. 

Well, to be fair, brain fog is a very real COVID issue that happens before and during the full blown infection. 

Having said all that, no excuses. Heinicke felt he could play, did, and had his worst game as our starter in the biggest game imaginable.  

He and the OL better come ready to play Sunday or it’s going to be a very, very long day. 

And since Heinicke just got cleared and there’s a lack of real practices this week… Let’s hope this team is able to compete.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

Hopefully, Turner has put some things in to take advantage of Parsons' aggressiveness. Even if TH plays well, we will have to counter Parsons if we are going to win this game.

I would like to see us use an H back, run right at Parsons and double team the crap out of him. Maybe he will get tired if they put him on his back a number of times.

17 hours ago, wit33 said:

Just not sure Dallas is playing well enough to come to that conclusion. Washington will need to be healthy upfront though. 

Yeah I listened to two different Dallas beat guys tis morning, one of 980, the other on 106.7, saying there is concern that Dallas is headed to the playoffs with a whimper and are concerned they can't beat the big boys the way they are playing of late.  Some talk on that too on GMF this morning.

18 hours ago, wit33 said:

I see it the same way.  I am not a football scheme guru by a long shot.  But just for fun (I understand you were there, too) I paid hyper attention to their formations in the Raiders game, which I could see better live than on TV.  And what hit me hard was a lot of outside zone runs and just general zig things one way but the play goes the other way and the defense was misdirected and off balance.  That was executed so well that Heinicke could routinely exploit with a quick throw in the flat to a wide open receiver.  Heinicke sold it well and had the wheels to roll out the other way quick enough to make it work.

So my thought watching that was I'd leave a safety or LB claming down on both edges.  Don't leave that gap on that opposite side that's created from that misdirectton.  That among other things would keep Heinicke in the pocket versus rolling one way or another.  Crowd the line of scrimmage on both sides.  Stop the run game from being a threat which is so critical to set up all the misdirection and play action.  The defenses was biting because they were frightened by the run game.  If the run game isn't frightening, then they can pause for an extra sec to help diagnose the play.

Do they double down on this?  Will see.  But if they do Taylor needs to be ready and fling the ball down the field.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

This play which I just saw on twitter for Gilbert which illustrates a staple play a saw a ton against Vegas.  I know misdirection is a staple in any offense but they did it like crazy.  Cuts the field in half, usually one guy wide open as a consequence.  But to set it up well you have to bait defenses into fearing the run.

Dallas really clamped down on this well.   Round 2 should be interesting. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 3.39.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 3.40.13 PM.png

If Heinicke starts, I expect Dallas to do what they did last time, send Parsons on damn near every snap and play tight man coverage which forces Heinicke to really have to stand still, plant, and wind up throws, which also means it requires a lot more time in a clean pocket.   Dallas secondary probably will give up a few plays because of this any time the pass rush doesn't get home, because it could leave some DBs exposed, but overall I think the way you attack Heinicke is with tight coverage, forcing passes that need to be delivered on lines and not tossed into soft zones.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The legend is dead.  Taylor will be able to tell his grandkids he played the goat twice. Gave him a game in the first meeting and beat him the second meeting. The highlight of his career.

His career to date is a helluva story.  I get that being a starting QB comes with expectations but the fact that we are debating if he should be a starter is a credit to him.  

Edited by Leonard Washington

I’m interested to see how these next 2 games go for Heinicke.  Not from the standpoint of whether he could be our guy going forward (he shouldn’t be), but whether he can carry the torch until a rook is ready, if they aren’t initially.  His past two games, both against Dallas of course, have been abysmal.  Does he bounce back?  Is our offense just too banged up?  Sure seemed like the oline was poor in both games and I have trouble believing any team has a worse group of pass catchers (at present, not when healthy).

I was actually pleasantly surprised by his 3 deep passes in the first half, which sounds silly when he was 1/3 with a pick, but he had the distance on all 3, which I didn’t expect at all.  Seems apparent he was told the team needed to stretch the field to open up the underneath stuff and run game.  Kind of ironic he completed the one into double coverage (to the one receiver that hasn’t performed all year) and not the two into single coverage (to his most dependable receiver).

Looks to me like the coaching staff were challenging his skill set early in that game and he failed the test. Having him dink and dunk for 3 games isn’t going to tell a lot. I think they’ve pushed door to see what he would produce.

We seriously need to aggressively pursue a new starting QB in the offseason.

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Looks to me like the coaching staff were challenging his skill set early in that game and he failed the test. Having him dink and dunk for 3 games isn’t going to tell a lot. I think they’ve pushed door to see what he would produce.

We seriously need to aggressively pursue a new starting QB in the offseason.

We should probably get two. Veteran and rookie. With our luck the vet will see 3 quarters before the rookie can come in and get ruined by an incompetent franchise not built to sustain any success.