Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

43 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Gilbert showed how incredible TH’s rise from the couch has been.  The coaching staff deserve a lot of credit. 

Heinicke has played with a ton of grit & heart this season, and has had stretches of really good play, but the fact that a QB can come in off the street and toss 4-5 balls around the field that the starter can't also speaks to something that will always be lacking out there when Heinicke is on the field due to his physical limitations with his arm.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even if one wants to blame Taylor for losing the Dallas game, it sucks that we lost with him out because there's like zero chance we get to the playoffs now even if we win the rest of our games.  The goal I set for him can't be met regarding winning s playoff game, is it his fault?

Edited by Renegade7

9 hours ago, petey hodge said:

This thread’s stock is falling fast…

Glib is 2/2!!!

He was never 2/2.

(15:00 - 1st) J. Elliott kicks 65 yards from PHI 35 to end zone, Touchback.

1st & 10 at WSH 25: (14:59 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass short right to A. Gibson to WAS 44 for 19 yards = 1/1.

1st & 10 at WSH 44: (14:23 - 1st) A. Gibson left end to WAS 44 for no gain).

2nd & 10 at WSH 44: (13:45 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass incomplete short left = 1/2.

3rd & 10 at WSH 44: (13:40 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass short right to A. Humphries to PHI 49 for 7 yards = 2/3.

4th & 3 at PHI 49: (12:47 - 1st) T. Way punts 36 yards to PHI 13.

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

He was never 2/2.

(15:00 - 1st) J. Elliott kicks 65 yards from PHI 35 to end zone, Touchback.

1st & 10 at WSH 25: (14:59 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass short right to A. Gibson to WAS 44 for 19 yards = 1/1.

1st & 10 at WSH 44: (14:23 - 1st) A. Gibson left end to WAS 44 for no gain).

2nd & 10 at WSH 44: (13:45 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass incomplete short left = 1/2.

3rd & 10 at WSH 44: (13:40 - 1st) G. Gilbert pass short right to A. Humphries to PHI 49 for 7 yards = 2/3.

4th & 3 at PHI 49: (12:47 - 1st) T. Way punts 36 yards to PHI 13.

And his second pass wasn't within a 10 yard radius of anyone, including Philly.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Heinicke has played with a ton of grit & heart this season, and has had stretches of really good play, but the fact that a QB can come in off the street and toss 4-5 balls around the field that the starter can't also speaks to something that will always be lacking out there when Heinicke is on the field due to his physical limitations with his arm.  

I still think that has TH started last night the outcome would be much different. 

Philly's D wasn't great { but it was great for a new QB } but that kid last night just didn't have anything that looked impressive to me. 

There are the typical short passes that most every QB makes with their eyes closed that he missed on last night. Field vision not there, he locked onto one WR on most of the plays that he threw on, that is when Turner wasn't calling 101 running plays. 

Even the one play where  he went deep; TH has thrown deep as well, and last night's pass didn't have any zip on it, in fact it looked like a pass that TH throws. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Who would people rather have at qb Jalen Hurts, or Taylor Heinicke? Im wondering because i see a lotta shade being thrown at Hurts

Philly, like us, always seem to have a large cohort of people who put down all their starting QBs. 

As for Hurts, Philly is playing to his strengths while his QB skills develop.  If they let him go WFT should be interested.

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree with you but it is not as simple as chasing the physical attributes that TH is lacking and expect TH's strengths will come along with it.  For now I'll take heart in grit and heart at the QB position, particularly on this team which has lacked in those areas over the years. 

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Neither, but I’d take Hurts if I had to.

It's interesting, because I think Hurts is basically what we thought TH was...a mediocre QB with a suspect arm but the wheels to make plays with his legs and get TDs that way. But TH only has 1 rushing TD this season and has been oddly reluctant to use his legs, while Hurts has 10 rushing TDs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It's interesting, because I think Hurts is basically what we thought TH was...a mediocre QB with a suspect arm but the wheels to make plays with his legs and get TDs that way. But TH only has 1 rushing TD this season and has been oddly reluctant to use his legs, while Hurts has 10 rushing TDs.

I can see that, but I think it's safe to say Hurts has clearly has more arm and can hit throws that TH cannot.

• Like 1

Hurts is a legitimate running threat. He's not a threat to beat you with his arm making real NFL throws. He's basically another Tyrod Taylor type except he's on a team that seems to believe in him and is building an offense around his strengths, but ultimately you're limited with a QB like that.

He's probably better than Heinicke but ultimately not a needle mover.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

I agree with you but it is not as simple as chasing the physical attributes that TH is lacking and expect TH's strengths will come along with it.  For now I'll take heart in grit and heart at the QB position, particularly on this team which has lacked in those areas over the years. 

The "for now" part is key, because I agree.  Part of me would have liked to see what Kyle Allen could do with the offense at full strength, but the coaches obviously thought Heinicke was the better option for enough reasons, so I trust their  judgement.   

Heinicke is the best overall QB on the roster, so I too am fine with the "for now" part, but I will be definitely be disappointed if the organization doesn't at least attempt to upgrade the position in the offseason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Hurts is a legitimate running threat. He's not a threat to beat you with his arm making real NFL throws. He's basically another Tyrod Taylor type except he's on a team that seems to believe in him and is building an offense around his strengths, but ultimately you're limited with a QB like that.

He's probably better than Heinicke but ultimately not a needle mover.

As fans, we should really hope they continue holding on to him. A piece of good news is that the Philly 1st rounders won't be worth as much as we thought. I was worried early on that all three picks would potentially be top 10 picks but with Miami, Indy and Philly turning it on, they will all be picks in the teens and hopefully late teens

16 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Who would people rather have at qb Jalen Hurts, or Taylor Heinicke? Im wondering because i see a lotta shade being thrown at Hurts

I haven’t watched Hurts in action enough, but based off last game (and his arm talent/running ability/youth), I’d take him over Heinicke, but it’s kind of close for me.  Partly because of the adversity TH has had to deal with, the fire he brings, the story, and the moxie/clutch play.  Put TH on the Eagles offense, or Hurts on ours and I might feel differently about them.  I don’t know. (Man, I’d love to see our squad take them on when healthy)

As to your second sentence, he’s the Eagles qb… anything less than a lot of shade would be inappropriate :)

• Like 2

I've been slowly rewatching the WFT and Dallas game.  And you could see what Keim said that Dallas crowded the line of scrimmage, played the LBs close to the ball, etc.

Here are some clips, none of these are obvious run downs aside from Taylor playing under center, and one had a tight formation.  1st and 10, 2nd and medium, etc.  Contrast that to us in a similar down and distance.

Dallas was basically daring Taylor to throw.  This Sunday assuming he plays, he needs to take advantage of that if they run that same script. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.08.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.10.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.13.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 2.15.14 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been slowly rewatching the WFT and Dallas game.  And you could see what Keim said that Dallas crowded the line of scrimmage, played the LBs close to the ball, etc.

Here are some clips, none of these are obvious run downs aside from Taylor playing under center, and one had a tight formation.  1st and 10, 2nd and medium, etc.  Contrast that to us in a similar down and distance.

Dallas was basically daring Taylor to throw.  This Sunday assuming he plays, he needs to take advantage of that if they run that same script. 

I think the question though is can he take advantage of it? If they're crowding the LOS and pressing our receivers to try and interrupt the short game that means most of what they're potentially leaving open is the tougher intermediate and deep throws, which I'm sure they know that Heinicke can struggle with due to arm limitations.

Maybe they're also hoping he gets reckless and tries to make throws he doesn't have the arm to make, leading to turnovers. He did that multiple times vs them last game, but we got lucky a bunch and only one of them was intercepted.

I think the question though is can he take advantage of it?

Don't know.  But this game coming up is obviously a perfect text case.  Dallas showed them their template of how to stop them.  Can they respond?

Maybe they're also hoping he gets reckless and tries to make throws he doesn't have the arm to make, leading to turnovers. He did that multiple times vs them last game, but we got lucky a bunch and only one of them was intercepted.

I think that's part of the idea.

I said this after watching the Raiders game where I paid a lot of attention to what the offense does at the line of scrimmage.  It's a lot of misdirection to set up the run or set Heinicke up for quick passes in the flat.  And the way I'd clamp down on that is to crowd the line of scrimmage on BOTH sides.  Looks like Dallas did just that.  It wasn't that hard to see and that's for a dumb layman like myself, i could just imagine for inventive defense coordinators like Quinn, 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Oof. That sounds kinda sketchy to me. Playing in a game only days after being out of breath from walking 20 feet? I hope he can play but I also wouldn't want him to potentially risk serious problems from trying to play too soon.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good at all.  At least Gilbert gets another practice or 2 to up his game in case he’s needed, lol.

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good at all.  At least Gilbert gets another practice or 2 to up his game in case he’s needed, lol.

So I'm not going to say I'm worried but given that Heinicke just came back and Allen is still out, I stand by what I said in the other thread that Gilbert wasn't this massive black hole of bad play. If he had to go again it wouldn't be ideal but I don't think it's the worse option. Hopefully Heinicke is ready to go, that catching his breath is scary though. Glad his arm and knee are better