Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Just checked the Walgreens site for appointments and a bunch are avail in MD right now.

Not really. 

It looks like a bunch are available, until you actually try to schedule them. 

"We don't have any available appointments coming up within your area.

You can change the location or check back soon!
Appointment availability updates hourly.

Please come back later to schedule your Dose 1 and Dose 2 appointments. We don't have enough timeslots available to book both of your appointments."

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not really. 

It looks like a bunch are available, until you actually try to schedule them. 

"We don't have any available appointments coming up within your area.

You can change the location or check back soon!
Appointment availability updates hourly.

Please come back later to schedule your Dose 1 and Dose 2 appointments. We don't have enough timeslots available to book both of your appointments."

Oh damn. Walgreens with the mirage. Sorry, y'all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Oh damn. Walgreens with the mirage. Sorry, y'all.

No need to apologize!

Last week, there were no appointments at all, so it's trending in the right direction. The site is disingenuous, because they show quite a few appointments, but every one that you select,  gives you that error message

• Like 1

Colorado poll finds large differences among political parties in who wants to get vaccinated

As Colorado continues to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine and with nearly 6,000 people dead in the state because of the virus, a newly released poll found just around 1 in 3 Colorado Republicans plan to get vaccinated when doses become available to them.

The survey, which was conducted by Louisville-based Magellan Strategies, involved an online survey of 769 registered voters in Colorado polled from Feb. 9-17, with a ±3.53% margin of error.

But the question about whether or not a person would get the vaccine when it becomes available was posed to 420 of those respondents who had not yet been vaccinated, and the results carry a ±4.78% margin of error.

In total, 55% of the people asked whether they planned on getting vaccinated said they would, 34% said they would not and 9% of respondents said they were not sure.

But the party split was notable: Eighty-eight percent of Democrats said they planned to get vaccinated, compared to 57% of unaffiliated voters and just 29% of Republicans who were polled.

Rural voters (23% yes) and Trump voters (24% yes) said they were much less likely to get vaccinated in comparison to suburban women (61% yes) and four-year college voters (68% yes).

Click on the link for the full article

On 2/26/2021 at 7:14 PM, Sticksboi05 said:

The virus will eventually lose, the vaccines while not sterilizing will reduce transmission. Even if's by like 70 percent or 60 percent, that is substantial. Combine that with basic measures and you get the R0 below 1 and cases contract. Good news is data shows just one dose starts minimizing transmission.

Or, we see a scenario where over the year after making its way through humanity it becomes less severe. The half dozen coronaviruses that now cause common colds were all more severe when first introduced to humans.

It will never be "gone" but it won't be in pandemic phase forever, which is all that matters. Not an equal comparison but we didn't get rid of plague after the worst pandemic ever, we just got antibiotics.

Good post...but that's kind of my question and the reason I asked what people mean when they say "over" 

Based on everything you just said, are you considering it over and changing your behavior when transmission is reduced by 70%? 

51 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post...but that's kind of my question and the reason I asked what people mean when they say "over" 

Based on everything you just said, are you considering it over and changing your behavior when transmission is reduced by 70%? 

I think most of us believe that once you are fully vaccinated, and almost 100% certain that you will not die or even become hospitalized, we feel that the pandemic is in fact "over" for us. Now that does not mean we won't still have altered behavior but I know the wife and I can't wait to go out to dinner with friends again.  

• Like 1

Got my first shot of Moderna on Sat PM. Felt fine until about 24 hours later and was dragass tired for the rest of the day. Much better today. 

Round 2 will be during the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, so I look forward to just chilling on the couch and riding that one out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Got my first shot of Moderna on Sat PM. Felt fine until about 24 hours later and was dragass tired for the rest of the day. Much better today. 

Round 2 will be during the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, so I look forward to just chilling on the couch and riding that one out. 

That was the same for me. Felt like I had taken a hand full of Benadryl's about 24 hours later. was fine day 2.  

Other than a slightly sore arm, I didn’t really have side effects from my shots. (Pfizer)

I heard somewhere that the severity of side effects could be an indication of how the virus would have affected you had you caught it.  I don’t know enough to know if that is accurate or not.

29 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Other than a slightly sore arm, I didn’t really have side effects from my shots. (Pfizer)

I heard somewhere that the severity of side effects could be an indication of how the virus would have affected you had you caught it.  I don’t know enough to know if that is accurate or not.

The immune response to the shots are generally more robust the younger and healthier you are. Even with little to no response,  you are still getting 95% or so protection.

Edited by The Evil Genius

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The immune response to the shots are generally more robust the younger and healthier you are. Even with little to no response,  you are still getting 95% or so protection.

I got that.  But does the fact I had little side effect from the vaccine mean that, if I had not gotten the vaccine but caught COVID from someone, I likely would have had very mild effects from the virus or even been an asymptomatic case?  I heard it being talked about but I don't know enough about the science of it to know how valid that theory is.

30 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I got that.  But does the fact I had little side effect from the vaccine mean that, if I had not gotten the vaccine but caught COVID from someone, I likely would have had very mild effects from the virus or even been an asymptomatic case?  I heard it being talked about but I don't know enough about the science of it to know how valid that theory is.

I could be wrong, but if one has little to no reaction from the vaccine, it could be that their immune system provided a slow or weaker response to it. 

If the body freaks, says "aw hell nah" and ratchets up a fever, lays you out and such, it probably means that it's working well. 

The Military Can’t Get Troops to Take the Covid Vaccine. Come Again?

About one-third of military service members are refusing to take the coronavirus vaccine. In some units, refusal rates exceed half of members. At a time when the virus remains as dangerous as ever, this is bananas. Yet the military says troops who decline the vaccine will face no repercussions or changes to their assigned duties, meaning even uninoculated troops will remain deployable around the country and the world. What the hell is going on?

The deal is, federal law prohibits the mandatory application of medicines within the military that are not fully licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration. The three coronavirus vaccines currently available in the United States—the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and, as of Saturday, the Johnson & Johnson versions—are approved on “emergency use authorizations,” meaning the drugs are technically still experimental. Full approval could take years, during which time hundreds of thousands of service members will apparently remain susceptible to, and potentially vectors of, Covid-19.

There’s good reason for this law—the government and military have nasty histories of experimenting on people, including service members, without their knowledge or consent—and in fact it’s been put to the test.

Click on the link for the full article

58 minutes ago, China said:

In some units, refusal rates exceed half of members. 

This is a lot closer to my experience.  I had a meeting where the “only 70% are taking the vaccine” talking point was brought up.  A very senior person said “I wish I knew where the hell they are polling that has that large of a group taking it.”

Supposedly California is going to be vaccinating 3 million people a week pretty soon. (or at least will have the capacity to) I hope that means my demographic opens up sooner than later.  I think I am the next tier to open up, and am hearing by the middle of March they are basically going to open the "okay, now whoever wants it can get it" floodgates.  Forgot if I already mentioned it, but my wife is a front line worker, she got her 2nd shot a few weeks ago.  First shot she just had a bit of tenderness at the injection spot, similar to a flu shot.  The second shot, it took her down for the count the following day.  Mostly just fatigue and a bit of nausea, nothing serious, it just made her want to rest.  Once that faded, she has been 100% good to go. 

• Like 2

California here too.  A week or so ago I thought I read that mid March they would go to the "high risk 16 to 64" tier for shots.  My older than 64 parents-in-law had their appointment and got the shot today.  Rite Aid without much of a line.  

Everyone was used to seeing lines of cars on the news.... but I don't see that anymore (probably rush for first responders?). 

In Virginia, it's tougher and tougher to get shots if you're in 1b, but my wife and I were able to secure appointments going through findashot.org. We were able to book through Kroger when my wife luckily caught some the two minutes they were open. Basically, it's 65 and older only according to what we're seeing on a couple of vaccination Facebook groups. Hopefully with J&J here now, we'll start to see progress to the people who were previously in 1b and under 65 as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not sure about how a feel about getting the cut rate shot (jj) at only 85 percent effectiveness... but oh well...

The numbers aren't equivalent as JNJs trials took place with more contagious variants going around. But it was 100% in stopping hospitalizations or worse, so I would take it if it's what is available.

• Like 2