Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

10 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

They dropping it at weird hours it seems. Woke up at 12:30am and randomly checked and was able to book for Monday. Checked again at 6 and there were 2 total slots in 25 miles. They might drop again tonight for Tuesday appointments. 

My hypothesis looking good. Was just able to book again. So Walgreens seems to load new appointment a little past midnight for MD at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I got my second shot Wednesday and I still feel like absolute death. 

If you're having trouble getting your Vacs, come to the USVI, we can't give them away.

I am going there in May.  Can't wait.  That is the last place I was before the pandemic too, March 9th - 16th in 2020.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Which island?

St. Thomas.

Well staying there but we'll most likely take at least one day trip to St. John like we did last time which was our first time over there.  This time we'll have our 9 month old with us though so it's going to be ... interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, purbeast said:

St. Thomas.

Well staying there but we'll most likely take at least one day trip to St. John like we did last time which was our first time over there.  This time we'll have our 9 month old with us though so it's going to be ... interesting.

aweome. I'm on St Croix. Not the day trip place, but the best island to live on.

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

aweome. I'm on St Croix. Not the day trip place, but the best island to live on.

Nice we would love to check that out at some point but it's a bit more work to get there.  It's easy to get to STT from Dulles.  4 hour direct flight.

Now, if you could find me a job in software development so we can just move there, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, purbeast said:

Nice we would love to check that out at some point but it's a bit more work to get there.  It's easy to get to STT from Dulles.  4 hour direct flight.

Now, if you could find me a job in software development so we can just move there, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Our power company is the worst and most expensive in the world, but the bulk of the fiberoptic network moves right through here. There's talk of making us the "hub", but no training and the power goes out every day lol.

STT is the tourism island, so they get the flights. I just opened a restaurant and was gonna offer you lunch if you came here. If you ever make it to STX and like Vegan junk food, hit me up. VI til I Die. 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2021 at 12:10 AM, Cooked Crack said:

My hypothesis looking good. Was just able to book again. So Walgreens seems to load new appointment a little past midnight for MD at least.

"Friend of a friend" type info here, so take it with a grain of salt. I have heard others say checking around midnight has worked for them as well in Maryland.

• Like 1

The first real-world data for Covid-19 vaccines is in - and it’s really good news

The first real-world data for Covid-19 vaccines is in – and the vaccines’ effectiveness have once-again shot past scientists’ expectations.

Vaccines are typically less effective in the real-world than in clinical trials. But in data from Israel and the United Kingdom, both of whom have managed to vaccinate a large slice of their population, vaccine effectiveness appears to be matching that seen in clinical trials.

There are also positive signs the vaccines will significantly cut viral transmission, although it is too early to draw firm conclusions.

In Britain, Pfizer’s mRNA vaccine appears to be 88 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic infection in those aged over 80.

Israeli scientists are reporting a 92 per cent effectiveness rate overall – similar rates to those seen in clinical trials that initially stunned scientists.

Israel and Britain are among world leaders in vaccinating their populations. Israel has managed to give one dose to least 56 per cent of its population, while in Britain about 30 per cent of people have received at least one jab.

Both countries faced surging epidemics only a month ago, but daily cases have now been substantially curtailed.

The US has also made strong headway, reducing its daily caseload from a peak of 314,172 on January 8 to 66,481 on March 4. About 16 per cent of the US’s population had received a dose of vaccine.

However, these countries’ success was likely linked to more lockdowns and perhaps the end of winter, rather than the effects of vaccination, said James Wood, associate professor at the School of Population Health at the University of NSW in Australia.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Amount of people hesitant to get Covid-19 vaccine dropping rapidly

The release of Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccine and its partnership with Merck means that President Joe Biden expects the US to have enough Covid-19 vaccines delivered to cover every adult by the end of May.

If Johnson & Johnson and fellow vaccine makers Moderna and Pfizer meet their vaccine pledges, the bigger question we may soon be facing isn't whether we have enough doses of Covid-19 vaccines, but whether people will actually take them.

Recent polling suggests a continued drop in the vaccine hesitant population as more and more people get vaccinated in the US.

The past two weeks alone, there were two polls that show just how much vaccine hesitancy has declined. The Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that 55% of adults say they now want a Covid-19 vaccine as soon as possible or have already received their first dose. That's up from 47% in January and 34% in December.

While the percentage of hardline "get it only if required" or "definitely not" has remained fairly consistent at or just north of 20%, the hesitant population of "wait and see how it's working" has dropped by nearly half during the last two months from 39% to 22%.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

^^^ Saw a banner today (in Maryland, walking overpass bridge) Covid-19 vaccine manufactures are not liable. 

There are still going to be people who won't take any no matter what because there is no liability. These fools will die because the people who have the vaccine won't. 

• Like 1

I know a family where they will 100% never ever take the vaccine.  They are simply anti-vaxxers and the wife was with my wife last week and was telling her how they believe rona was 100% manufactured to make kill off people because of over population.  Then they think the vaccines are only made so people can get money and believe that the vaccines will cause cancer in the long run.  Oh and she also said she 100% believes there is a cure for cancer out there and that they simply aren't releasing it because there is no money in it.  So all of these vaccines are just to get the rich richer.

Would you also believe they are flat earthers?  Like to the extent when we ate dinner at their new house in Arlington when they moved in like a year ago, that they have a map of the flat earth in their kitchen.

So yeah, some people simply will never get the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never get the flu vaccines, I did get the pneumonia shots. I got the Pfizer shot Friday morning and today I don't have any symptoms and my arm isn't sore anymore. I consider myself lucky to get the Covid vaccine, this virus is nothing to scoff at. Plus it works differently than the flu vaccines. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, purbeast said:

I am going there in May.  Can't wait.  That is the last place I was before the pandemic too, March 9th - 16th in 2020.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, purbeast said:

St. Thomas.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:49 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Yo, found it @skinsmarydu

• Like 2

In Lyon, a startup looking for a universal vaccine against influenza and Covid

This universal vaccine would be based on a technique different from that currently used by vaccines against the coronavirus on the market. The Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines indeed allow our body to reproduce and then defend itself against the Spike protein , present outside the virus. On the contrary, Osivax would target an interior part of the virus. The advantage: it is a part "which does not mutate" , according to Alexandre Le Vert, boss of biotech, which would allow the vaccine to be " effective against all variants (...) of Covid-19" . Another revolutionary advance: Osivax would make it possible to be immunized against influenza in the long term. No need, therefore, to be vaccinated each year against this winter virus.

• Like 1

Fwiw I dont think bragging about never getting the flu shot helps anyone. A lot of people with compromised pulmonary systems don't really have a good choice to avoid it. If everyone got the shot, we could likely cut down the # of yearly cases by 45-50% (which is thr approximate effectiveness of the flu shot each year) and keep those people who can't afford to catch it safer.