Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

30 minutes ago, China said:

This is from December, I'd like to see something more recent:

Why might women be less eager to get the coronavirus vaccine? An investigation.

Why some women might be concerned:

Women Report Worse Side Effects After a Covid Vaccine

Nevertheless, in January more women were found to be getting the vaccine then men:

Study shows gap between men and women getting COVID-19 vaccine

Women tend to live longer then men and older people were getting the vaccine first, so I wonder if that affected those results?

Click on the links for the full articles

Interesting. I would think that more women would get the vaccine because they are by and large the caretakers of children, the infirm, and elderly so they woukd want to be protected. 

I'm a short woman and my arm was sore for two days and no other side effects from the first shot. I'll update after my second shot March 26th.

3 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Thanks, my supposition isn't correct apparently.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

So I was 0/8 today around Arlington County....what I did find out though was that one of the CVS pharmacists told me they had a call list from the county for people in case someone didn't show up. They typically only have 2-3 extra doses a day, and lately it has been people canceling appointments because they don't want the J&J vaccine, they want the Moderna

I tried Giant and Safeway too since they had the Pfizer vaccine....no dice there either, they told me they were strictly vaccinating people 65+

• Sad 1

Israel says 600 children given Covid jab had no serious side-effects

Hundreds of children between the ages of 12 and 16 who have been given the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccination in Israel experienced no serious side-effects, a senior official has told the Guardian, one of the first signs that Covid-19 inoculations could be safe for minors before clinical trial results.

Israel’s health ministry has recommended vaccinating some teenagers if they suffer from underlying conditions that make them vulnerable to coronavirus.

“We have so far immunised somewhere around 600 children,” Boaz Lev, the head of the vaccine taskforce, said on Wednesday. “We didn’t see any major side-effects; even minor are quite rare. This is encouraging.”

The children, some of whom have cystic fibrosis, which affects the lungs, were not part of a clinical trial.

Pfizer is conducting a study of 12- to 15-year-olds and expects to begin another for five- to 11-year-olds. The University of Oxford has also announced a trial to test its AstraZeneca-produced Covid-19 vaccine on children young as six. Those studies are expected to take several months.

Click on the link for the full article

Alabama Official On Vaccine Rollout: 'How Can This Disparity Exist In This Country?'

In Birmingham, Ala., Alabama Regional Medical Services — a health clinic that primarily serves a lower-income, Black neighborhood — has not administered a single dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. That is scheduled to begin Saturday.

Meanwhile, the first doses in the state went to nearby Mountain Brook, an affluent white suburb of Birmingham, says Sheila Tyson, a commissioner for Jefferson County, where Birmingham is located.

What's happening in Alabama's vaccine rollout is playing out across the country and is another way racial disparities have surfaced during a pandemic that has been killing people of color at disproportionately high rates.

"Black people are not still getting the same access," Tyson says in an interview on All Things Considered.

ARMS says it received its first vaccines from the Jefferson County Health Department on Feb. 19. And a statement from the department notes that the clinic received its first shipment of vaccine from the state allocation on March 8 and is to receive "a regular state allocation every three weeks."

According to the most recent data provided by the state's health department, in cases where race was reported — white people have received 54.6% of vaccinations, compared to 14.6% for Black people.

Tyson says state officials have told her that they are not distributing vaccines to majority-Black neighborhoods because they expect people there may be hesitant to take them.

"I am finding out thousands and thousands of people within the state of Alabama want the vaccine. We have over 125,000 people in Jefferson County on the waiting list," she says. "We want it now."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

Sadly, in Chicago health facilities on the south side are actually getting doses, but they're getting over-run with people from the north side and suburbs anytime any sort of vaccine signup happens for those facilities.

I know Biden was rightfully mocked for saying that Black people don't know how to use computers, but in reality there are a significant number of minority households who don't have internet access at home, and a disproportionate number of minorities work in jobs where its not possible to have 6 browser windows open trying to get a slot during the middle of the workday.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Always go to your state health department. 😁

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/#Vaccine

Edit...dang read that question wrong (thought you were asking 1st dose and 2nd dose). But you might be able to infer phase #s based on the demographics listed. 

I was more talking about the poster who simply showed up and got a dose from the overs they had.  He/she did not make a traditional appointment, are they able to book the 2nd dose at the time of the first shot was my question.  

22 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was more talking about the poster who simply showed up and got a dose from the overs they had.  He/she did not make a traditional appointment, are they able to book the 2nd dose at the time of the first shot was my question.  

In my experience, they book the second appointment right there because you have to get your second dose at the same facility on a specific date. They have the second dose set aside. So yes, potential walk-ins get their second dose scheduled just like those who had appointments.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

In my experience, they book the second appointment right there because you have to get your second dose at the same facility on a specific date. They have the second dose set aside. So yes, potential walk-ins get their second dose scheduled just like those who had appointments.

The thought came to me as I saw an early story of a medical tech stuck in a snowstorm so he started offering vaccines to others stuck before they went bad. Wondered how those people got their second appointment. 

Vaccine chaos leads to 'leftover dose' and 'real-time alert' sites

Even as vaccine manufacturing ramps up, with President Joe Biden promising enough vaccines for all Americans by May, the chaotic rollout, paired with vaccine hesitancy, has created an unequal supply-and-demand equation around the country.

Missed vaccine appointments have resulted in some leftover COVID-19 vaccine doses being available at the end of the day and in some cases being dumped when the vaccines expire.

It's why startups like Dr.B, and even public companies like GoodRx (GDRX), are getting into the business of bringing the latest information to patients, and even matching patients to vaccines based on CDC priority eligibility and zip codes.

Dr.B launched at the end of January, lead by former ZocDoc CEO Cyrus Massoumi, and has already amassed 1 million sign-ups.

The site design is simple, with vaccine sites providing Dr.B with how many doses are available and when they expire. Dr.B then matches locations to patients and notifies eligible candidates via text...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/covid-19-vaccine-chaos-leads-to-leftover-dose-and-real-time-alert-sites-212226000.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Vaccine chaos leads to 'leftover dose' and 'real-time alert' sites

Even as vaccine manufacturing ramps up, with President Joe Biden promising enough vaccines for all Americans by May, the chaotic rollout, paired with vaccine hesitancy, has created an unequal supply-and-demand equation around the country.

Missed vaccine appointments have resulted in some leftover COVID-19 vaccine doses being available at the end of the day and in some cases being dumped when the vaccines expire.

It's why startups like Dr.B, and even public companies like GoodRx (GDRX), are getting into the business of bringing the latest information to patients, and even matching patients to vaccines based on CDC priority eligibility and zip codes.

Dr.B launched at the end of January, lead by former ZocDoc CEO Cyrus Massoumi, and has already amassed 1 million sign-ups.

The site design is simple, with vaccine sites providing Dr.B with how many doses are available and when they expire. Dr.B then matches locations to patients and notifies eligible candidates via text...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/covid-19-vaccine-chaos-leads-to-leftover-dose-and-real-time-alert-sites-212226000.html

At least excess doses aren't trashed. It's too important and really who cares who gets the excess doses?

• Like 2

1C here.   It's still difficult to get a vaccine in MD.   I tried the mass vac sites.  Showed 24 appointments.  Selected one, error message popped up, then it showed 3 appointments...selected one...error message...then no appointments.    I tried Wahlgreens.   No appointments.  I tried CVS.  No Appointments.

I'm pretty sure that the asshats organizing vaccinations in MD graduated from Baltimore city schools.

26 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

1C here.   It's still difficult to get a vaccine in MD.   I tried the mass vac sites.  Showed 24 appointments.  Selected one, error message popped up, then it showed 3 appointments...selected one...error message...then no appointments.    I tried Wahlgreens.   No appointments.  I tried CVS.  No Appointments.

I'm pretty sure that the asshats organizing vaccinations in MD graduated from Baltimore city schools.

try the mass vacination site at 6pm.  That is when they make a bunch of appointments available.

https://massvax.maryland.gov/

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've had success with Walgreens a little bit after midnight (like 12:05). Worked 4 out of 5 times. Doesn't always work but was able to get a confirmation for each. If it does show up don't go for the first appointment times.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, gbear said:

try the mass vacination site at 6pm.  That is when they make a bunch of appointments available.

https://massvax.maryland.gov/

Been doing that.  They show a bunch of appointments and they disappear when you try to make them.  Same ****ty results.    I can't imagine how tough it will be when they make them available to all three phases.  

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My Mom (late 60s, no underlying conditions) had luck w the M&T Bank Stadium supersite dialin line last week and got an appt for tomorrow.  My parents are NOT tech-savvy people.  She called in right when the appts were made available (6pm on whatever day) and spent ~45 minutes on hold before getting through.  She got a confirmation text a bit after that.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

My Mom (late 60s, no underlying conditions) had luck w the M&T Bank Stadium supersite dialin line last week and got an appt for tomorrow.  My parents are NOT tech-savvy people.  She called in right when the appts were made available (6pm on whatever day) and spent ~45 minutes on hold before getting through.  She got a confirmation text a bit after that.

Thanks

Mullet & Trailer is a last resort.

I hate visiting that ****-hole of a city. 

I'd rather go to Six Flags.

• Haha 1

Would it be insane for the government, at some point, pay people to get the vaccine? 

It may not influence the 5G/Bill Gates conspiracy theory people, but maybe some who are just ****ing lazy enough to not get it when it's 100% readily available? 

I'm just spitballing, though.