Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The numbers aren't equivalent as JNJs trials took place with more contagious variants going around. But it was 100% in stopping hospitalizations or worse, so I would take it if it's what is available.

Exactly as Dr. Fauci said. Zero hospitalizations, zero deaths. That works for me. 

18 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I could be wrong, but if one has little to no reaction from the vaccine, it could be that their immune system provided a slow or weaker response to it. 

If the body freaks, says "aw hell nah" and ratchets up a fever, lays you out and such, it probably means that it's working well. 

Immune response is not determined by the reaction. Over half the people who received the mRNA vaccines in clinical trials had no side effects, but the protection was still there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

In Virginia, it's tougher and tougher to get shots if you're in 1b, but my wife and I were able to secure appointments going through findashot.org. We were able to book through Kroger when my wife luckily caught some the two minutes they were open. Basically, it's 65 and older only according to what we're seeing on a couple of vaccination Facebook groups. Hopefully with J&J here now, we'll start to see progress to the people who were previously in 1b and under 65 as well.

Yeah, you have to be 65+ to get the vaccine in Virginia (if you're not part of a 1b group). Or, at least to register at any of the available pharmacies.

I took my wife last Thursday night to the Richmond Raceway for her second shot (Pfizer). She's retired from the county school system but still works part-time there so she qualified to get it through their program. When we walked up to the registration table, I asked the guy what the rules were for the pharmacies (as I'm 1b but <65). He said he didn't know and added "I can't give out any shots to people under 65" - cutting off any attempt to get the vaccine while I was there. It was about 6:30pm (closed at 7pm) and only about 1/4 staffed. 

It kind of sucks because I see appointments within a 2-2 1/2 hour drive of my house. Under 65, forget it, for now. 

Edit: Forgot to add that my wife was fine after the 2nd shot until ~3:30pm on Friday. She got a sudden wave of exhaustion/fatigue that wiped her out until the next morning. She never felt sick & was fine when she got up on Saturday. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo

23 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good post...but that's kind of my question and the reason I asked what people mean when they say "over" 

Based on everything you just said, are you considering it over and changing your behavior when transmission is reduced by 70%? 

I consider this phase of COVID-19 over when enough people get vaccinated that hospital overrun is no longer an issue. At that point, we'll start seeing restrictions dropped quickly I'd guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yeah, you have to be 65+ to get the vaccine in Virginia (if you're not part of a 1b group). Or, at least to register at any of the available pharmacies.

I took my wife last Thursday night to the Richmond Raceway for her second shot (Pfizer). She's retired from the county school system but still works part-time there so she qualified to get it through their program. When we walked up to the registration table, I asked the guy what the rules were for the pharmacies (as I'm 1b but <65). He said he didn't know and added "I can't give out any shots to people under 65" - cutting off any attempt to get the vaccine while I was there. It was about 6:30pm (closed at 7pm) and only about 1/4 staffed. 

It kind of sucks because I see appointments within a 2-2 1/2 hour drive of my house. Under 65, forget it, for now. 

Edit: Forgot to add that my wife was fine after the 2nd shot until ~3:30pm on Friday. She got a sudden wave of exhaustion/fatigue that wiped her out until the next morning. She never felt sick & was fine when she got up on Saturday. 

That’s such a bummer and honestly it’s getting ridiculous. 

Hoping they honor our appointments. The information is all over the place and I hate the goal posts constantly being moved when you have a scheduled appointment. Based on what I’m reading I think we should be fine. Backup plan is CVS in PA allows out of state 1b people. 

22 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

That’s such a bummer and honestly it’s getting ridiculous. 

Hoping they honor our appointments. The information is all over the place and I hate the goal posts constantly being moved when you have a scheduled appointment. Based on what I’m reading I think we should be fine. Backup plan is CVS in PA allows out of state 1b people. 

I need to re-state my point: At CVS, you have to be over 65 to get an appointment. They specifically ask your age & if under 65 you can't make an appointment. I haven't made it to the point of trying to make an appointment at the other pharmacies.

If Kroger didn't ask your age, you should be good to go. Did they have you setup appointment #2 at the time you made the 1st appointment? 

I'm getting my vaccine at Walgreens on Thursday at noon and have an appointment for the second dose on April 1. That was easier than expected, honestly. Only took a couple days of refreshing different pages. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm getting my vaccine at Walgreens on Thursday at noon and have an appointment for the second dose on April 1. That was easier than expected, honestly. Only took a couple days of refreshing different pages. 

Hopefully sooner than later, your experience becomes the norm for most. 

Edited by TheDoyler23
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Hopefully sooner than later, you're experience becomes the norm for most. 

Agreed. It's a pain in the ass if you're not sure where to look. I went out of my way to find a vaccine thread on a subreddit specific to my city and asked for advice. Someone told me to check Walgreens' portal at 6 AM PST and I was in. 

This is why I'm hearing that it's become common practice for younger people who aren't eligible for the vaccine themselves to sign up their parents and grandparents. I'm not sure what the procedure is if you don't have a computer. Wait on the phone all day? 

I signed up on my county's waitlist on Sunday, the only way you can get an appointment. There were only 200 doses in my area, so who knows when I can even make an appointment. I'm 1b by age and health issues so clearly qualify. Texas is very screwed up due to Republican leadership here.

• Sad 1

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot today at Adventist in Takoma Park.  I've been hydrating like a mofo today so hopefully I don't get any bad side effects.

I did notice there was a sign saying that they are ONLY doing 2nd doses now there, and everyone there was there for a second dose.  I'm not sure when they are opening it back up for 1st doses.

EDIT:

And I got this pen that may be the GOAT pen.

image0.jpg

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I need to re-state my point: At CVS, you have to be over 65 to get an appointment. They specifically ask your age & if under 65 you can't make an appointment. I haven't made it to the point of trying to make an appointment at the other pharmacies.

If Kroger didn't ask your age, you should be good to go. Did they have you setup appointment #2 at the time you made the 1st appointment? 

Pharmacies do not have to use the state standards for eligibility.   CVS in particular.  My wife and I are MD residents, and both 1C.     Per the state of MD, we're eligible.  Per CVS website, we are not.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Agreed. It's a pain in the ass

???  I thought they were giving injections in the arm. 🤣

• Like 1

That is good news. Has anyone heard about the vaccine in their local drugstores? I went to a drugstore today and they said they would have the vaccine soon.

If they could do that it would REALLY help distribution. Heck your flu shot is all at Wegmans or Safeway. If you could just march in there and get a shot that'd be so great.

Nothing against FedEx but as someone living in NOVA I don't have to tell you how long it takes to get there just for a COVID shot 😆

Edited by ixcuincle

From what I am hearing, here in CA, at least in Sacrament county, March 15th is the target date for when the eligibility tier is opening up for me.....I wish it was sooner, but as long as that date remains firm I will be on the website to sign up as soon as I wake up in the morning.

I probably don't have any elevated status so I am one of the "normies" but I was again interested in what I Saw today that the Covid vaccine would start being distributed locally. I was at Walgreens today to buy other stuff and noticed a sign that informed patrons that the shot is not available (but it would be). I was very interested.

I am in Northern Virginia so I am curious how soon they will administer the shots because having a local shot is easier than driving to FedEx Field