Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

I did not slow down my coffee consumption at all with my vaccines.  And probably had a beer or two each day.  

Lots of people have no reaction at all to these vaccines - my son had his 2nd on Saturday and he was completely asymptomatic.  Not even any arm soreness.  I had an elevated temp and some achiness for about 8 hours after my 2nd one, but nothing too terrible and I felt better after a night's sleep and some advil/tylenol.  

Don't freak out about these vaccines - if you feel bad afterwards, take a nap and some advil and it will likely be fine in a day or so.  

• Like 4

I'm curious how much truth there is to the whole 'if you don't feel any side effects of the 2nd dose, your immune system isn't working' stuff I've been hearing in various places.  Not from the typical anti-science crowd, but pretty much a mixed bag - might have even seen some of that here, but can't quite recall.

I was hoping to be one of those without side effects.  I felt literally nothing from the first shot of Moderna, other than a tiny bruise like feeling from the shot about a day later, barely noticeable.  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm curious how much truth there is to the whole 'if you don't feel any side effects of the 2nd dose, your immune system isn't working' stuff I've been hearing in various places.  Not from the typical anti-science crowd, but pretty much a mixed bag - might have even seen some of that here, but can't quite recall.

No truth at all to that myth.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50% have side effects, even less with moderate to severe side effects.  Yet the vaccine is 90+% effective.  It's simple math that side effects and effectiveness are not related in this case.  Experts were saying that to assure that side effects were not reasons to freak out.  Doesn't mean anyone should freak out over lack of side effects.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I was more of the plan for them (side effects) and be happy if they don't occur. They did and they didn't surprise me. 

I assumed that I will have them, and the 'stuff to do' I have isn't all that big of a deal.  I have to work, but I work from home, and I have pavers coming on Fri. morning to complete a job at my place.  I don't really have to do much but I'd like to be mobile and definitely don't want to waste PTO on being ill.  I only use PTO for vacation and golf, if I can help it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was hoping to be one of those without side effects.  I felt literally nothing from the first shot of Moderna, other than a tiny bruise like feeling from the shot about a day later, barely noticeable.  

There is literally zero truth to that myth. That's like telling people you can only have a cold if you have a severe fever.

• Like 1

Half of US adults have at least one COVID vaccine shot

Half of all adults in the United States have received at least one COVID-19 shot, according to the government, marking another milestone in the nation’s vaccination campaign.

Almost 130 million people aged 18 or above have received at least one dose of a vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Sunday.

Almost 84 million adults, or about 32.5 percent of the population, have been fully vaccinated.

The US cleared the 50-percent mark just a day after the reported global death toll from the coronavirus topped a staggering three million, according to totals compiled by Johns Hopkins University, though the actual number is believed to be significantly higher.

The country’s vaccination rate, at 61.6 doses administered per 100 people, currently falls behind Israel, which leads among countries with at least five million people with a rate of 119.2.

Tennessee sits in the bottom four states for rates of adults getting at least one shot, at 40.8 percent. It’s trailed only by Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi.

In January, 67 percent of adult Americans were willing to get vaccinated or had already received at least one shot. The figure has climbed to 75 percent, according to the latest AP-NORC poll.

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

First of all it is not a side effect. My cousin who is a doctor and treats patients with cancer corrected me when I said side effect. A fever is a reaction to the vaccine. Some get it and some don't. Really depends on the strength of your immune system. It is the same for people who got the virus and didn't have any symptoms at all. My sister and brother-in-law had covid and didn't even know until their teenage kid started complaining about lose of taste. When they got tested that is when they knew that they had been affected for weeks. Same goes for the vaccine shot as some will get a fever and aches and pains and a headache and some will not. I got a mild fever after my second shot of Moderna. My niece didn't have any reaction to the vaccine what so ever. 

It is okay if you get a fever as it is not a side effect and just a reaction to the vaccine of the fake virus your body thinks is real and triggers the immune system to produce the antibodies and heat up to kill/boil the virus. That is why you get a fever. If you don't get a fever then that means your body doesn't need to heat up to thwart the fake attack. \\

In another words, don't even worry about it. At most you might get a mild fever that will last less than 2 days. :)

FYI: just don't take any pain killer before getting the shot and only take them 6+ hours after the shot. I got my fever after 18 hours and that is when I took some Tylenol.

Edited by zskins
  • Like 3

Friend I know got turned away for the second Moderna vaccine in California.  Had an appointment and everything.  This from a private pharmacy.  It sounded sketchy, but they basically said they were prioritizing people who scheduled vaccines through the My Turn CA website?  He didn't get a good explanation at all. Basically he was walk-in on the first dose, but they were acting like it didn't guarantee his second dose.  My wife got her Moderna number two from a private pharmacy today.  

I just did some more Googling and it seems like city or county run sites are guaranteeing 2nd doses... but  I would expect to hear more about this shortage of Moderna and 2nd dose issues. 

• Sad 1

Got Pfizer #2 last Thursday, sore arm that night and halfway into following day, felt sluggish and fatigued Friday and then after a couple of rounds of disc golf on Saturday I felt a little more exhausted than usual although I think that could be just as likely that the weather got ridiculously warm for this time of year.

Other then that I was fine. 

• Like 3

Looking back after this I think we're going to see a harsh reality that public health guidance is way too slow to react to new data and research. People are still obsessively saniziting surfaces despite clear, presented evidence last SUMMER the risk was extremely low, we still have people walking around on empty / not that crowded streets wearing masks when that is pretty clearly not necessary, and yet we allow people to go into restaurants and unmask before the food arrives.

The mandates don't fit how the virus actually spreads.

Then we still have mass amounts of people on the "we don't know if the vaccine curbs transmission" train when that is old news now and we know it does. Just way to slow to update the file from the CDC and others throughout this entire thing.

• Like 1

There is some concerning things I am reading about elevated blood clots and vaccine-related deaths that MDs are having issues reporting.  It's really hard to flesh out with all the happy talk.  Seems like responsible people don't want to come off anti-Vax, but government is not being exactly open and honest.  

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

There is some concerning things I am reading about elevated blood clots and vaccine-related deaths that MDs are having issues reporting.  It's really hard to flesh out with all the happy talk.  Seems like responsible people don't want to come off anti-Vax, but government is not being exactly open and honest.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/health/johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-statement/index.html

Only with the traditional vaccines. No signs of this being the case with the mRNA vaxes at this point in time, which make up the vast majority of all doses being administered in the US. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2