Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious, why does this forum seem very far left and why does the forum seem so intelligent?

SkinsZombie

Just now, Fergasun said:

I haven't seen him post since pre-2016.  

yeh, one of the smartest guys ever posting here imo, missed him these last years...surprisingly adult for the tailgate male, too...seems  longer than 2016 tho

There is also the possibility that, once Art Monk got into the HoF, DjTj became redundant within the Matrix and was deleted by the Merovingian. 

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

yeh, one of the smartest guys ever posting here imo, missed him these last years...surprisingly adult for the tailgate male, too...seems  longer than 2016 tho

He and iheart were top-notch.  Miss both of those guys.  

12 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think a lot of people are like me where we lean right for fiscal issues and lean left for social issues 

Define 'lean left'?

I consider myself a 'pragmatist' and support the death penalty for unapologetic convicted dumbasses.

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Define 'lean left'?

I consider myself a 'pragmatist' and support the death penalty for unapologetic convicted dumbasses.

I would say lean left for gay rights, abortion right(women having power), climate change (reduction on fossil fuels), education(making school more accessible for everyone i.e. community colleges free), i'm on metro but this is what i have so far

36 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think a lot of people are like me where we lean right for fiscal issues and lean left for social issues 

Same

22 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Define 'lean left'?

Yep. The death penalty probably my most extreme position (shoot them with a cannon, but only the really bad ones). Got me yelled at a lot by Predicto

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Just remember that this board had a significant period of time where the liberal point of view was illustrated by Predicto and the conservative point of view was illustrated by MassSkinsFan. 

And the jihadi viewpoint by Kefka (I think he was the first person ever banned). And the tinfoil hat conspiracy truther viewpoint from ASF.

i'm an independent because i haven't met anyone in either party who will accept me as a member after they've listened awhile

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

And the jihadi viewpoint by Kefka (I think he was the first person ever banned). And the tinfoil hat conspiracy truther viewpoint from ASF.

yeh, kefka was someone i didn't know and don't really remember when he left

edit---wasn't airforcecane one guy and there was another guy who was called asf but not asburyskinsfan, another rightwing guy?

we're more off topic than not doing this nostalgia stuff but it's fun and given the situation with the thread's op, what follows is kinda like a free play when the d is caught offside :D

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I just slouch (I also live and work less than 10 miles from Berkeley).

You truly cannot fathom far left until you talk to some of the residents there. 

Fact.  On my guitar forum we have a strong contingent of west coast grey beards that are still absolutely furious about Carter losing.  In their eyes, I’m essentially Tucker Carlson...and I have been referred to as such on many occasions.

Bless their gentle hearts.

I remember my first post in the Tailgate was calling Kilmer out as a racist and y’all were like “Woahhh young man, he’s not that bad”. 

I didn’t get it then but I can imagine a bit now how much y’all had seen. I’m glad I spend my internet time with very smart very left people lol

5 hours ago, SkinsZombie said:

so you pretty much ban anyone who doesnt agree with one particular view point? That doesnt seem very educated or informed....

Not banned, more like ran off.  People only get banned if they break forum rules, so if they personally attacked another poster because of their political views (tossing out insults, etc.), then they would be banned.  

The place is definitely “left leaning”

look at the political threads and imagine what it looks like to a casual person. in terms of representation it’s not even close. 

understanding “why” it’s that way takes effort and time if you don’t already know the answer

people that ask in a genuine way are usually given genuine responses. And people take their personal time to write the response and follow up

people who ask in an inflammatory way get a crash course in “why”

I personally find it frustrating a times because of two reasons

1- the balance is so out of whack to never have anyone on your side, you are ganged up on

2- a lot of people interpret any post that appeals to conservative values as if it’s just another tweet by a mindless person. Motives are presumed, in fact any extension of the argument is presumed, etc. the number of times I receive multiple response along the lines of “you’re just a white dude crying white dudes don’t get to make all the rules” is unfortunate. 

but i understand why that is. 

and while I’d love it to be more balanced, and for conservative-leaning opinions to get more respect (on a certain level it’s definitely about respect but not always), I wouldn’t trade this setup for what I see pretty much everywhere else. Including in real life, drinking beer together, political conversations. 

at the end of the day I learn enough by following along that i continue to follow along. I value it. And I can’t say that about anywhere else politics is discussed. Including with friends and family. 

5 hours ago, SkinsZombie said:

I am just curious really. I read thru threads here and it pretty much only one side posting. Why is that? is it pretty much how its always been on here?

I dont support either party as I think they are both sides of the same sick feces encrusted coin.

Bsed on your joined date, you've only been reading political threads during Trump's 4th year in office...that should answer your questions about the perceptions of "only one side" posting. There is very little to champion on Trump's side, and a helluva lot to criticize. The arguments used elsewhere in support of Trump tend to be laughably conspiracy-oriented. Most Trump supporters online tend to debate his side by parroting talking points and don't usually address the valid aspects of opposing arguments. I would imagine that 6 years ago during Obama's administration there were some spirited and intelligent debates on here. Trump rarely offers up anything that would act as the foundation for genuine two-sided discussions.

I have some degree of trouble defining myself politically.  Progressive, I guess.

To me, supporting gay rights isn’t a left thing, it’s just being normal.  Like WTF should I care who people love?

I want to conserve the environment... shouldn’t that be a conservative principal?

I have no problem with guns.  I enjoy shooting them, I just don’t want my kids around them (except under strict supervision) because, well, statistics.  Something has to be done about the killings/mass shootings though, and the ‘conservatives’ aren’t doing a thing as far as I can tell.

I’m not sure I’d call myself fiscally conservative, but it depends on how we define it I guess.  Conservatives have sucked in this regard, IMO.  As long as we aren’t running up the debt (except in certain situations - like economic crashes, pandemics, etc), I’m cool with government spending... it just needs accountability and to be helping the most vulnerable.

I don’t love the idea of abortion in general, but women need to have the choice - they are the ones who’s live are impacted - from employment to education to emotional impact.  And men should have to take far more responsibility.   

The wealth gap is a stain on our country.  I’m not looking to tax the wealthy into oblivion, but they need to taxed enough so that others aren’t overly burdened, while still running government programs to help society to it’s fullest.  That includes infrastructure, public education, welfare programs, supporting the arts, military spending, National Parks, etc.

35 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I have some degree of trouble defining myself politically.  Progressive, I guess.

To me, supporting gay rights isn’t a left thing, it’s just being normal.  Like WTF should I care who people love?

I want to conserve the environment... shouldn’t that be a conservative principal?

I have no problem with guns.  I enjoy shooting them, I just don’t want my kids around them (except under strict supervision) because, well, statistics.  Something has to be done about the killings/mass shootings though, and the ‘conservatives’ aren’t doing a thing as far as I can tell.

I’m not sure I’d call myself fiscally conservative, but it depends on how we define it I guess.  Conservatives have sucked in this regard, IMO.  As long as we aren’t running up the debt (except in certain situations - like economic crashes, pandemics, etc), I’m cool with government spending... it just needs accountability and to be helping the most vulnerable.

I don’t love the idea of abortion in general, but women need to have the choice - they are the ones who’s live are impacted - from employment to education to emotional impact.  And men should have to take far more responsibility.   

The wealth gap is a stain on our country.  I’m not looking to tax the wealthy into oblivion, but they need to taxed enough so that others aren’t overly burdened, while still running government programs to help society to it’s fullest.  That includes infrastructure, public education, welfare programs, supporting the arts, military spending, National Parks, etc.

skinny21 for President.

Archived