Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team vs New York Football Team

TK
Message added by TK,

Keep the politics OUT of the Stadium or you'll be out. :) 

Just now, KDawg said:

Going with a known entity eats the cap. We already have a roster that is lacking key pieces and has big re-signings coming up soon. 

Counter-point, we have plenty of cap room, and can have more. And we have tried to develop, in the last 20 years, Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin, Kirk Cousins (that one kindof worked), and Dwayne Haskins, and we have bupkis to show for it.  

I'm not saying you don't get a QB somewhere along the way to develop.  But if you're picking in the ~10 range, which I think is actually fairly likely, then I'd prefer the best LB or Safety of Guard or Center available, all things being equal.  

There are a million ways to cut this, but we're close on defense, the middle is just awful.

Now, if you can go sign 4 defensive starters in FA and shore that up, then I'd probably be ok going QB early.  I just don't know if that's possible.  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Counter-point, we have plenty of cap room, and can have more. And we have tried to develop, in the last 20 years, Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin, Kirk Cousins (that one kindof worked), and Dwayne Haskins, and we have bupkis to show for it.  

I'm not saying you don't get a QB somewhere along the way to develop.  But if you're picking in the ~10 range, which I think is actually fairly likely, then I'd prefer the best LB or Safety of Guard or Center available, all things being equal.  

There are a million ways to cut this, but we're close on defense, the middle is just awful.

Now, if you can go sign 4 defensive starters in FA and shore that up, then I'd probably be ok going QB early.  I just don't know if that's possible.  

The problem is we don’t have all that much cap room when you factor in the re-signings. We definitely have some... but Payne, Allen, McLaurin soon very likely, factor in a known entity vet QB (which there isn’t likely to be a great one on the market aside from maybe Dak if Dallas is bad enough and they draft a dude and he’s healthy), factor in a LT at some point... 

And a safety. And a linebacker. And draft picks.

Just now, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We generally suck and have trouble beating anyone.

However, it seems especially true of the Giants.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if Washington came out and played great next week.

But doesn't matter who the coaches are or who the players are or what year it is.

The Giants seem to usually have our number.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The problem is we don’t have all that much cap room when you factor in the re-signings. We definitely have some... but Payne, Allen, McLaurin soon very likely, factor in a known entity vet QB (which there isn’t likely to be a great one on the market aside from maybe Dak if Dallas is bad enough and they draft a dude and he’s healthy), factor in a LT at some point... 

And a safety. And a linebacker. And draft picks.

This is a point I've been trying to make as well. I believe once you let Smith go, you have enough cap to fit in a couple big name signings but would need to go more bargain bin after that. The good news is it looks like we are filling a number of needs as the season goes on. Shaze looks like a starting FS, Holcomb and KPL solve 2 of the 3 spots at LB, Schweitzer fills one of the outstanding guard positions, etc.

You need a QB, WR2, TE1, LT and a LB. You could upgrade at another LB spot, one of the G positions and FS but not totally necessary.

If you try to solve for QB, it has to be the draft.

What's messed up is that I'm so not invested in the long term of this team. I feel like I'm watching the games as background noise (I was running while I watched this game). I dont agree with a lot of moves (Logan Thomas, cutting AP, honestly drafting Gibson but with the legal troubles that may have been a blessing, the signing of a guy like Barber, the playing of Barber, the signing of an Inman, I can go on and on for days)  and then we see them getting playing time ahead of young guys JDM was starting over Gibson who is better and more of a bruiser. Inman was getting more reps over Sims who is just a better WR. Thomas over all our TEs who I don't know but heck Hentges has better hands and now Smith is over Haskins. 

So I'm still rooting but just like when we first put Haskins as number 3, I was saying that either we need to make him active on game days or we're going to have to play through Smith's rust because he wasn't there yet. After that Rams game I was done with him. At least now I'm saying he is an ok QB again, but for what. If we start winning with him (say we go 8-8), I won't enjoy it because this is likely his last year with us. Even if its not, we don't have a future with him. So we get to a question of could Haskins have done what Smith did today? Maybe maybe not, I dont want to have that discussion. 

So the thing becomes that we're playing for 2021 ad the draft. Cool. Lets see who we get, but not I'm wondering if I'm going to jump on the hype train like 2012. But this is different because I was heavily invested in the previous years. But with each bad decision that I'm calling years beforehand, I just get less interested. Its that real meh feeling of whatever. Its like I don't even care that the team loses any more. That's what my fadom has become

There is a pretty good chance a lot of the 2020 team will be elsewhere soon.  I don't look at this season's squad as "Rivera's WFT" I see it more as River trying to figure out the best way to move forward with players and personnel.  That is usually how it works in the first season of a rebuild.  This wasn't Rivera taking over a .500 team that only needed a few key players to make a huge jump, it was a bad team that River was brought in to turn around over the course of the next could of seasons.   The only reason some of us are getting that twisted is because the division is so bad that going into every single game it feels like 1 game is all it takes to be right there hovering at or below 1st place.  That says more about the division itself and less about this team.

It's the same story as the one Gruden year where Kirk Cousins was able to lead the team to a division win at the end of the season because the division around this team was crumbling due to injuries and being mediocre.  The two following seasons they regressed by just enough to disappoint.  The last time this team really went out to took it to the division opponents and won on their own merits was 2012 under Shanahan.  

I don't at all understand why we are playing Smith. So maybe we can win the division, in a crappy division, and then lose in the 1st layoff round? Even if by some chance we win a coupla' more games with him, what do we gain....he's 36 years' old and likely one anyway. here. Why not play Haskins...other than he just doesn't like him or what he brings t the table. Makes no sense to play Smith.

1 minute ago, Tonysoprano1 said:

I don't at all understand why we are playing Smith. So maybe we can win the division, in a crappy division, and then lose in the 1st layoff round? Even if by some chance we win a coupla' more games with him, what do we gain....he's 36 years' old and likely one anyway. here. Why not play Haskins...other than he just doesn't like him or what he brings t the table. Makes no sense to play Smith.

I think for all intents and purposes Haskins isn't really even on the team anymore. His name is there and he gets paid, but that's about it. I think Ron is done with him and he won't be on the team next season. 

That being said, I suppose I could see the argument for trying to keep Smith from getting hurt again. 

33 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I wonder if we gone lash out on smith with turnovers like we did with haskins...or is it cause he's a vet its allowed to go untouched? This game was very similar to browns....we coulda won if Smith didn't keep turning the ball over

One was his RB falling down 

One was his o line collapsed on 3rd down and allowed a jail break when we needed yards to get a FG and had to just launch to someone to try to make something happen

One was completely on him. 

44 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I wonder if we gone lash out on smith with turnovers like we did with haskins...or is it cause he's a vet its allowed to go untouched? This game was very similar to browns....we coulda won if Smith didn't keep turning the ball over

They wont..........our fan base hates Haskins....its ridiculous

46 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

B-b-but he didn't pout! thats worth more than victory🙄

2 hours ago, dyst said:

We need Jags to win a few games. We may not get #1 but at least try for #2 and hope maybe you luck into #1

there seems to be a few real good QBs out there not just T. Lawrence. I like Zack Wilson from BYU, he can lead a team and us putting up awesome numbers. 

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Why are we thinking of stop gap QBs when we could aim for Lawrence/Fields instead? We could have had Burrow if we did it right last year.

Zack Wilson at BYU looks good too

Archived