Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s the whole point of these discussions. You asked my thoughts and I gave my own. You’re right, though. We will see what WFT thinks next week. But at the end of the day that doesn’t validate or invalidate any of our feelings.

Yes, all for discussion and it would be boring if we all agreed.  :)  We are able to get different insights from each other's thoughts and responses.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I really believe the wild card in the entire WFT organization is Taylor Heinicke....They now have Fitz so they can really take the next year and find out about Heinicke and even Allen. We all speculate how much we need a franchise QB in the draft but who's to say Fields, Jones, Lance or any of them will be better pro's than Heinicke who played his ass of in the playoffs? Don't discount how smart and fearless TH is and how confident he plays with his arm and legs. Playing with Fitz is only gonna help him. 

Not sure how much of a chance Heinicke is going to get to show what he can do over more than a game. Pretty much a slam dunk that Fitz is going to be the starter this year unless he gets hurt. Next season could be a wild card...will depend on whether we get a QB this draft and how Fitz plays.

If we get a QB this draft in the 1st round then that's the guy after this season. Even a 2nd rounder is likely going to be that way unless he completely bombs in camp, etc. If we don't get a QB this draft and Fitz plays well I'd assume we sign him to another year and keep looking for the QB of the future.

I just don't see much of a chance for TH to really show what he can do outside of camp and preseason. 

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

That’s the whole point of these discussions. You asked my thoughts and I gave my own. You’re right, though. We will see what WFT thinks next week. But at the end of the day that doesn’t validate or invalidate any of our feelings.

And don't forget guys that these discussions also help the rest of us form opinions, so everyone benefits. It's always good to hear the opposing views.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not sure how much of a chance Heinicke is going to get to show what he can do over more than a game. Pretty much a slam dunk that Fitz is going to be the starter this year unless he gets hurt. Next season could be a wild card...will depend on whether we get a QB this draft and how Fitz plays.

If we get a QB this draft in the 1st round then that's the guy after this season. Even a 2nd rounder is likely going to be that way unless he completely bombs in camp, etc. If we don't get a QB this draft and Fitz plays well I'd assume we sign him to another year and keep looking for the QB of the future.

I just don't see much of a chance for TH to really show what he can do outside of camp and preseason. 

Taylor was told he'll have a shot to compete for the starting job. Fitz was told he's the starter for now but will have to compete based on what I read. If you recall, RR said his biggest regret was not having competition at the QB position last year and that this year there will be. TH is in the mix for sure but it's Fitz's job to lose right now out of respect for his career and the season he had last year. I'm very excited to see what both Fitz and TH do in preseason and beyond and really believe we are set up well at QB. I believe Mayhew when he says the team is in good shape at QB moving forward...guess we'll find out a week from now if they draft a guy early or not?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes, all for discussion and it would be boring if we all agreed.  :)  We are able to get different insights from each other's thoughts and responses.  

My favorite debate on this board is the build the roster and find the QB later vs. do what it takes to get the stud QB regardless of cost. To me, this is the same question most NFL GM's have to figure out. 

SF built their roster and just recently gave a Kings ransom to move up and get their QB. Keep an eye on how that works out for them.

Miami got Tua and is now trying to build around him. Lets see how it works out for them.

Then there's us: sign journeyman vet QB's with some success and some potential but no history of playoff wins while building a roster around them.

Three different ways of building teams.....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

TH will just be happy to be on a roster. I think he can have a long career as our backup.

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Odds are that out of the Top 5 QBs; only one of them will have real success . A couple will have mediocre careers; bounce around the league. A couple will be out right busts.

Based on what? The traditional hit rate has bounced around either side of the 50% level for 1st round QB's, not top 5, first round. 

This draft has at least four QB's that are better than any of the QB's taken in '13, '14, '19 not named Kyler Murray for instance (if there were hits in '13 or '14 that I'm missing, remind me, Carr hit, all I remember beyond that is that those classes were projected as garbage and proved to be garbage. 

Generally speaking classes are not similar, they rise and fall, and sometimes great classes bust, and sometimes average classes hit, but no matter what, it appears right around half of QB's in round 1 hit as legit starters. I'm not saying, annual Final Four caliber team QB's because that's an immensely high hurdle that few QB's hit, I'm talking about QB's in the top half of the league level talent for 5+ years as a starter kind of talent. 

This draft, like '12, and '17 and '18 and to a lesser extent '20 is one of those stuffed with those kind of QB's at a higher rate than normal. '21 has 4-5, '20 had 3, '19 had 1, '18 had 4, '17 had 2-3, '16 2, '15 had 2 etc. This one probably has 5. 

That gives you basically a fifty percent chance that we get 2.5 hits out of this class, maybe 3 or maybe 2. We'll see. I know who I'm betting on, and who I'm not betting on (Lawrence, Fields, Lance). I can flip Wilson with Fields (epilepsy now) and with Lance (long term project, will they be patient?), and we'll see. I'm not betting on Mac Jones.

I also suck at evaluating QB's other than smoking out busts, with one, massive exception (was not buying at all on Josh Allen due to accuracy issues). 

Why it's so hard to find developmental QBs in the NFL draft's middle rounds

METAIRIE, La. -- Myth 1: Teams can readily find top-quality quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott in the middle rounds of the NFL draft.

Myth 2: Teams such as the New Orleans Saints can draft a QB on Day 2 or 3, let him sit behind Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill, then develop him to be their future starter.

Those ideas sound nice, especially for the Saints, who pick 28th and would have to pay a fortune to trade up for one of this year's top five prospects.

And it’s not impossible. Especially not with one of the greatest offensive coaches in league history in Sean Payton, who once helped discover and develop an undrafted Tony Romo with the Dallas Cowboys.

But the actual track record of teams selecting a quarterback outside of the top 40 picks, then adding some time and seasoning into the recipe to produce a future starter, is rarer than you might expect.

Over the past 15 years, only eight quarterbacks who weren’t drafted in the top 40 have won more than eight games as a starter for the team that chose them: Wilson (98), Prescott (42), Kirk Cousins (26), Nick Foles (21 in two stints with the Philadelphia Eagles), Trent Edwards (14), Chad Henne (13), Trevor Siemian (13) and Tarvaris Jackson (10).

Jimmy Garoppolo should also be mentioned as a success among this group, because he won two games for the New England Patriots after being selected 62nd overall in 2014 -- then won another 24 after being traded to the San Francisco 49ers. And 2020 second-rounder Jalen Hurts could join the list is he locks down the Eagles' starting job.

But you get the point. The idea of “drafting and developing” works only if you find the golden ticket.

Most Wins By NFL QBs Not Drafted In Rounds 1-2 Since 2006

ROUND YEAR QB TEAM TOTAL WINS WINS WITH
FIRST TEAM
*Win totals include two separate stints with their original team.
**Selected in the supplemental draft.
3 2012 Russell Wilson Seahawks 98 98
4 2012 Kirk Cousins Washington 51 26
4 2016 Dak Prescott Cowboys 42 42
3 2012 Nick Foles Eagles 28 21*
UD 2012 Case Keenum Texans 27 2
6 2011 Tyrod Taylor Ravens 24 0
UD 2009 Brian Hoyer Patriots 16 0
UD 2007 Matt Moore Cowboys 16 0
3 2007 Trent Edwards Bills 14 14
7 2015 Trevor Siemian Broncos 13 13
3 2016 Jacoby Brissett Patriots 12 1
5 2010 John Skelton Cardinals 8 8
3 2010 Colt McCoy Browns 8 6
6 2019 Gardner Minshew Jaguars 7 7
UD 2018 Kyle Allen Panthers 7 6
3 2013 Mike Glennon Buccaneers 6 5
6 2006 Bruce Gradkowski Buccaneers 6 3
UD 2017 Nick Mullens 49ers 5 5
5 2011 T.J. Yates Texans 4 4*
5 2007 Troy Smith Ravens 4 1
**3 2011 Terrelle Pryor Raiders 3 3
4 2013 Landry Jones Steelers 3 3
5 2015 Brett Hundley Packers 3 3
7 2008 Matt Flynn Packers 3 3*
UD 2019 Devlin Hodges Steelers 3 3
UD 2012 Austin Davis Rams 3 3*
3 2011 Ryan Mallett Patriots 3 0
UD 2017 Taysom Hill Packers 3 0

“There’s just not that many people on the planet that ... have every box checked, so to speak,” said ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, who was part of a 2005 draft class that produced better than most. It included Charlie Frye (7-16 record in games started) in Round 3, Kyle Orton (42-40) in Round 4, Orlovsky (2-10) in Round 5, Derek Anderson (20-29) in Round 6, Matt Cassel (36-45) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (59-86-1) in Round 7.

“It’s a good question [why the successes are so rare],” Orlovsky said. “... And I try to tell people, there’s a reason Patrick Mahomes gets $40 million a year or Dak Prescott gets $140 million.

“While a person like me or a quarterback that’s drafted in Round 3, 4, 5, 6, they have some of the boxes checked, they don’t have all the boxes checked. And that box might just have the initial dash of that check. So physical talent does come into play. And how well you perform with that physical talent at the highest level on a consistent basis comes into play.

“While I could make a decision in 2.4 seconds, Matt Ryan, who’s more physically talented, makes the decision in 2.2 seconds. That is a career of a difference, essentially. And I know that sounds small and silly, but that’s just the reality. And while Matt does it 65 out of 66 snaps, I might do it 61 out of 66 snaps. That is a career of a difference. ... And that’s why the position is so hard.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/34139/why-its-so-hard-to-find-developmental-qbs-in-the-nfl-drafts-middle-rounds

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Over the past 15 years, only eight quarterbacks who weren’t drafted in the top 40 have won more than eight games as a starter for the team that chose them: Wilson (98), Prescott (42), Kirk Cousins (26), Nick Foles (21 in two stints with the Philadelphia Eagles), Trent Edwards (14), Chad Henne (13), Trevor Siemian (13) and Tarvaris Jackson (10).

that’s quite a stat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Taylor was told he'll have a shot to compete for the starting job. Fitz was told he's the starter for now but will have to compete based on what I read. If you recall, RR said his biggest regret was not having competition at the QB position last year and that this year there will be. TH is in the mix for sure but it's Fitz's job to lose right now out of respect for his career and the season he had last year. I'm very excited to see what both Fitz and TH do in preseason and beyond and really believe we are set up well at QB. I believe Mayhew when he says the team is in good shape at QB moving forward...guess we'll find out a week from now if they draft a guy early or not?

Yeah, true. RR did say that and he's an honest dude. Though I'd guess that things would have to go pretty sideways in camp and preseason for TH to unseat Fitz. 

As far as being "set up well at QB", I can't really agree. In the short term, yes. But long term? Not really. Seems the FO agrees, assuming the reports of them going hard after Stafford and potentially trading up for a QB this draft are true.

I didn't see where Mayhew said that...was he talking long term or in the immediate future? I would probably take things said by a FO right before draft time with a grain of salt, to be honest. Especially given that we may indeed be in the mix for a QB.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why it's so hard to find developmental QBs in the NFL draft's middle rounds

METAIRIE, La. -- Myth 1: Teams can readily find top-quality quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott in the middle rounds of the NFL draft.

Myth 2: Teams such as the New Orleans Saints can draft a QB on Day 2 or 3, let him sit behind Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill, then develop him to be their future starter.

Those ideas sound nice, especially for the Saints, who pick 28th and would have to pay a fortune to trade up for one of this year's top five prospects.

And it’s not impossible. Especially not with one of the greatest offensive coaches in league history in Sean Payton, who once helped discover and develop an undrafted Tony Romo with the Dallas Cowboys.

But the actual track record of teams selecting a quarterback outside of the top 40 picks, then adding some time and seasoning into the recipe to produce a future starter, is rarer than you might expect.

Jimmy Garoppolo should also be mentioned as a success among this group, because he won two games for the New England Patriots after being selected 62nd overall in 2014 -- then won another 24 after being traded to the San Francisco 49ers. And 2020 second-rounder Jalen Hurts could join the list is he locks down the Eagles' starting job.

But you get the point. The idea of “drafting and developing” works only if you find the golden ticket.

Most Wins By NFL QBs Not Drafted In Rounds 1-2 Since 2006

ROUND YEAR QB TEAM TOTAL WINS WINS WITH
FIRST TEAM
*Win totals include two separate stints with their original team.
**Selected in the supplemental draft.
3 2012 Russell Wilson Seahawks 98 98
4 2012 Kirk Cousins Washington 51 26
4 2016 Dak Prescott Cowboys 42 42
3 2012 Nick Foles Eagles 28 21*
UD 2012 Case Keenum Texans 27 2
6 2011 Tyrod Taylor Ravens 24 0
UD 2009 Brian Hoyer Patriots 16 0
UD 2007 Matt Moore Cowboys 16 0
3 2007 Trent Edwards Bills 14 14
7 2015 Trevor Siemian Broncos 13 13
3 2016 Jacoby Brissett Patriots 12 1
5 2010 John Skelton Cardinals 8 8
3 2010 Colt McCoy Browns 8 6
6 2019 Gardner Minshew Jaguars 7 7
UD 2018 Kyle Allen Panthers 7 6
3 2013 Mike Glennon Buccaneers 6 5
6 2006 Bruce Gradkowski Buccaneers 6 3
UD 2017 Nick Mullens 49ers 5 5
5 2011 T.J. Yates Texans 4 4*
5 2007 Troy Smith Ravens 4 1
**3 2011 Terrelle Pryor Raiders 3 3
4 2013 Landry Jones Steelers 3 3
5 2015 Brett Hundley Packers 3 3
7 2008 Matt Flynn Packers 3 3*
UD 2019 Devlin Hodges Steelers 3 3
UD 2012 Austin Davis Rams 3 3*
3 2011 Ryan Mallett Patriots 3 0
UD 2017 Taysom Hill Packers 3 0

“There’s just not that many people on the planet that ... have every box checked, so to speak,” said ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky, who was part of a 2005 draft class that produced better than most. It included Charlie Frye (7-16 record in games started) in Round 3, Kyle Orton (42-40) in Round 4, Orlovsky (2-10) in Round 5, Derek Anderson (20-29) in Round 6, Matt Cassel (36-45) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (59-86-1) in Round 7.

“It’s a good question [why the successes are so rare],” Orlovsky said. “... And I try to tell people, there’s a reason Patrick Mahomes gets $40 million a year or Dak Prescott gets $140 million.

“While a person like me or a quarterback that’s drafted in Round 3, 4, 5, 6, they have some of the boxes checked, they don’t have all the boxes checked. And that box might just have the initial dash of that check. So physical talent does come into play. And how well you perform with that physical talent at the highest level on a consistent basis comes into play.

“While I could make a decision in 2.4 seconds, Matt Ryan, who’s more physically talented, makes the decision in 2.2 seconds. That is a career of a difference, essentially. And I know that sounds small and silly, but that’s just the reality. And while Matt does it 65 out of 66 snaps, I might do it 61 out of 66 snaps. That is a career of a difference. ... And that’s why the position is so hard.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/34139/why-its-so-hard-to-find-developmental-qbs-in-the-nfl-drafts-middle-rounds

You know this is the case with any player at any position.  Really, when you stop and think about it you really don't know what your gonna get until that player plays the game.  Perfect example, look at Curl.  I don't think anyone would have guessed he would have played as well as he did but he did.  So when you draft you take a chance with every choice you make stats, Pro Days, analytics etc.. help, by all means but you just don't know until they play the game.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, true. RR did say that and he's an honest dude. Though I'd guess that things would have to go pretty sideways in camp and preseason for TH to unseat Fitz. 

As far as being "set up well at QB", I can't really agree. In the short term, yes. But long term? Not really. Seems the FO agrees, assuming the reports of them going hard after Stafford and potentially trading up for a QB this draft are true.

I didn't see where Mayhew said that...was he talking long term or in the immediate future? I would probably take things said by a FO right before draft time with a grain of salt, to be honest. Especially given that we may indeed be in the mix for a QB.

He seemed to be talking about the draft and how they are comfortable with the QB's they have and see no need to force their way up to grab one of the top prospects in the draft. 

23 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

that’s quite a stat.

And does a nice job of putting the wood to the argument that we can just go find a QB on day 3, or even round 3. Been arguing for years that building a plan that incorporates the idea that you hit on a 1 in 50 chance prospect on day 3 like Cousins or Dak is like playing the lottery, it's not a plan, it's a fantasy. Sometimes it plays out (see Patriots with Brady, Seahawks with Wilson, us with Cousins, Cowboys inexplicably with both Dak AND Romo) but for every one that hits there are at least 3 or 4 dozen that don't, and there seems to be little rhyme or reason to the hits as well. Some just have something, and others just don't, and sometimes its opportunity, and sometimes it's coach and someties add infinitum (just consider Wilson, as great as he is, it's totally believable that he might have failed anywhere else because at the time nobody believed people his size could do it, and few teams other than seahawks, are noted for ignoring draft capital spent on players when it comes to opportunity, they are one of the few teams that consistently ignores the relevance of that, and focuses instead on who they think is better, they really do seem to view the picks as sunk costs, and the talent they see revealed, or failing to make it self obvious as what matters (see Carson over Rashaad Penny, Wilson over expensive FA signing Flynn, see DK as late 2nd round pick, but auto starter anyway because he's DK etc ). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Almost 500 pages in, and we still don't have much more clarity than when we started.  Thursday will be awfully interesting.... 

I thought the question in the title was answered when we signed Ryan Fitzpatrick? 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I thought the question in the title was answered when we signed Ryan Fitzpatrick? 

Fitz.  Starter and mentor to the QB that we draft Friday but more likely Saturday, I believe.

• Like 1

I don't see RonMart interested in Mills given their comments on valuing experience. For the same reason, I don't see them trading up for Lance either.

I think their 1st round trade up target, should he fall, is Justin Fields (assuming Lawrence and Wilson are long gone). If Fields is gone in the top 5 or perhaps top 10, they will wait till a later round. But if they do QB later in the draft, I think it will be a guy who's racked up a decent amount of starts at the college level.

Quarterbacks don't exist or develop in a vacuum. Stats comparing QB success over time are illusory because they're comparing QBs who played on different teams with different coaches.

Of the 21st Century all-world QBs, Peyton Manning is the only one I can think of offhand who stepped into a really bad team and turned it into a contender. His brother sort of did that, but the Giants were already a well-run organization that only had a temporary down-spell.

Guys like Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and Roethlisberger were drafted into quality teams. That might have just a little to do with why they became so great. People forget that the Patriots were already a regular playoff team by the time Brady came around. They'd already been to a Super Bowl just a few years before under Parcells.

Would we be talking about Tim Couch or David Carr differently if they'd been luckier in their NFL destinations? 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, kingdaddy said:

Washington fans have had so much bad luck over the past 20 years (the worst break being Snyder buying the team and everything else that has stemmed from that) that we are long overdue for some really good breaks in my opinion. If TH can show that he can play every game like he played that playoff game and become THE guy, that would be a HUGE break for this team and fans (especially given how little he cost us). 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SonnySideUp said:

If TH can show that he can play every game like he played that playoff game and become THE guy, that would be a HUGE break for this team and fans (especially given how little he cost us). 

That’s just not going to happen. He can’t stay healthy and his arm isn’t good enough for him to be a full time starting QB. Whether this fanbase likes it or not the only way we get a good franchise signal caller is to be aggressive to get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, RWJ said:

You know this is the case with any player at any position.  Really, when you stop and think about it you really don't know what your gonna get until that player plays the game.  Perfect example, look at Curl.  I don't think anyone would have guessed he would have played as well as he did but he did.  So when you draft you take a chance with every choice you make stats, Pro Days, analytics etc.. help, by all means but you just don't know until they play the game.  

Very true, you really don't know until they play.  

FInding a late QB is not the same as finding a golden ticket.  The draft isn't a lottery and the results dictate the stats, the stats dont dictate the results.  If the chances of finding a late round QB are so long, why would any team even try?  Seems like waste of a pick, doesnt it?   Yet every year, teams who have offices filled with professional evalulators pick QB's all through the draft, knowing all the statistics.   The draft slot, in retrospect, is just an indicator, one of many.  You can go back through the stats and find tons of them.  They are called correlations.  Correlation is not causality, and every new player has to be judged on their own scale, with their own odds,  that is what scouting is. 

Edited by CurseReversed
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Wow. This is some theory. I doubt it would ever happen but it sure is interesting to think about, especially now that Baltimore got all those draft picks for Orlando Brown.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/ravens-could-dump-lamar-jackson-in-radical-move-nfl-expert/

lolol yeah no...I'm one of the bigger Lamar Jackson "haters" but the guy won MVP just a couple years ago and is still on a rookie contract for another couple years. You don't let him go.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol yeah no...I'm one of the bigger Lamar Jackson "haters" but the guy won MVP just a couple years ago and is still on a rookie contract for another couple years. You don't let him go.

Plus the idea that the Ravens suddenly are going QB because they got an extra late 1st ... not like 27+31 gets them any closer to a top tier QB than WFT CHI NE etc.

Unless they just traded Lamar straight up for a top pick. But that’s not what these seem to be implying 

On 4/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, JoggingGod said:

That’s just not going to happen. He can’t stay healthy and his arm isn’t good enough for him to be a full time starting QB. Whether this fanbase likes it or not the only way we get a good franchise signal caller is to be aggressive to get one.

Your opinion....I have seen guys in every sport work their ass off and become very good professional players. None of us can say for sure how good or insignificant TH is gonna be but we do know that RR gave him his word that they believe enough in him to let him compete for the starting job. Then, they signed him to a 2 year deal and told Fitzmagic that he will have to compete for the job too. This staff see's something in TH and they backed it up in several ways thus far. If the coaching staff feels he has a shot then we should remain open minded rather than writing him off....especially after how well he played in the playoff game against the eventual Super Bowl champs. 

• Like 3