Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

Most teams trade up or use a 1st round pick on a QB at some point, because every single NFL team knows that nowadays if you want to be a threat to go all the way over a long period of time, you have to have a top QB. You're incredibly unlikely to find an NFL coach that disagrees with that. Heck, Rivera is an old school defensive guy who loves building the trenches and even he admits that you need to have that QB nowadays. 

I can understand the draw of the old days where teams relied on the run game and stout defenses, but it's over. There's just no way around that. Every single thing in the NFL nowadays from the rules to the concepts supports big play passing first offenses that require a top tier passing QB.

The team and culture is being built right, but without the biggest piece it won't go far. Or if we do manage another playoff run we're 1) unlikely to actually go all the way and 2) with a 39 year old QB we won't be going back again with the same team. The coaches know that. The FO knows that. Nowadays with contracts, the cap, and FA the way they are your chances of keeping a dominant defensive unit and/or dominant supporting offensive cast around for over a few years is slim to none. 

You have to have that QB to be a perennial contender.

Would you consider Eli among the elite? To me he's similar to what we had in Joe Theismann.....

Eli had great defenses and won that way. Fitz could do the same for us. 

12 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Would you consider Eli among the elite? To me he's similar to what we had in Joe Theismann.....

Eli had great defenses and won that way. Fitz could do the same for us. 

Eli was a really odd duck to me. He was a good but not great QB most of the time and tended to put up middling numbers generally. But he also did have a knack for showing up and being clutch in playoff games, especially during their SB runs. Yes they had really good defenses, but Eli did his part as well. During his regular season career he averaged a rating of 84. During the 8 games of their SB runs, he had average ratings of 100 and 107 for 2007 and 2011 respectively.

As far as Fitz, I have no clue if he could do the same for us. Maybe, but I somewhat doubt it. On paper we have an upgraded team but also a much more brutal schedule so I still see us as an 8-9 win team this season even with an upgraded QB. Fitz is also 38 so I doubt we're going to get more than one or maybe two years out of him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sent you a post concerning our QB situation.  This kind of ties in since it's about QBs.  I had mentioned that I believe that we will draft one this year as we don't know how long Fitz is going to be here.  Personally, I'd like him another year and if he has a good year and stays healthy that possibility remains.  I think we have a need a QB serious need and this year with Fitz being here to mentor would be the year to do so.   Not necessarily in the 1st but 2-4 rounds and closer to the 2nd.  

Edited by RWJ

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Was that Kyle Trask, throwing the ball to Sammis Reyes, during his workout ?

If so, I guess we have to draft Trask now, no matter how unpopular, since clearly he and Reyes have an incredible chemistry ;)

@RWJ would like that

Nope!  I would not.  I believe it was MD.  I'd rather have Mills.  Look at my wish list in my sig.  😄

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Eli was tremendous in the Giants two Super Bowl runs. Actually in 2011 their 2nd Super Bowl their D wasn't that highly rated. 

He was never a top 5 QB in any season he played.  Honestly, Romo was a more feared QB in the division vs Eli.  The Giants scored 21 and 17 in his superbowls.  That defense won him those superbowls.  

I'd easily take Big Ben and Rivers over him (his contemporaries in his draft class).

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

He was never a top 5 QB in any season he played.  Honestly, Romo was a more feared QB in the division vs Eli.  The Giants scored 21 and 17 in his superbowls.  That defense won him those superbowls.  

I'd easily take Big Ben and Rivers over him (his contemporaries in his draft class).

I don't disagree, but when push came to shove Eli came through and brought his franchise two Super Bowl wins. That's what you get a franchise QB for: sustained success and hope that once in a while the stars align and you can make a run. But that possibility doesn't even exist if the QB isn't on your roster.

• Thanks 1

Not that I am a Mills guy but if they end up taking one day and day 2, Hh'd be the one that I'd dislike the least

https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/38096/mel-kiper-jr-s-other-nfl-draft-qbs-who-could-help-broncos

The way I see it: Mills is the projection player beyond the first-tier quarterbacks. Plenty of evaluators in the league say Mills has grown on them in recent months. He's 6-foot-3, 217 pounds and has an effortless release.

For many he is considered the best prospect among the "other" quarterbacks after Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson and Mac Jones. Some in the league say they like him far more than they do Trask. Mills played in 14 career games during three seasons with just 18 touchdowns in 438 career attempts -- or one every 24.3 attempts.

Some coaches are intrigued with Mond's arm strength. Newman never played a down at Georgia because he opted out after his transfer from Wake Forest, so teams have dived into his 2019 season when he threw 11 of his 26 touchdowns against Utah State, Rice and Elon and had four games when he completed fewer than 47% of his passes.

For the Broncos, Mills might be the most "ready'' of the quarterbacks after the top tier. He has a combination of athleticism, size and arm strength and is savvy in the pocket, but he will need a bit of a ramp-up to get his career going.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopes are that we land him in the 3rd and if not the 3rd then we land Mond.  Not that it means anything but my updated and Final Wish List in my sig. is about complete and will be posted.  Good info, SIP and appreciated.  :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that I am a Mills guy but if they end up taking one day and day 2, Hh'd be the one that I'd dislike the least

https://www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/38096/mel-kiper-jr-s-other-nfl-draft-qbs-who-could-help-broncos

The way I see it: Mills is the projection player beyond the first-tier quarterbacks. Plenty of evaluators in the league say Mills has grown on them in recent months. He's 6-foot-3, 217 pounds and has an effortless release.

For many he is considered the best prospect among the "other" quarterbacks after Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson and Mac Jones. Some in the league say they like him far more than they do Trask. Mills played in 14 career games during three seasons with just 18 touchdowns in 438 career attempts -- or one every 24.3 attempts.

Some coaches are intrigued with Mond's arm strength. Newman never played a down at Georgia because he opted out after his transfer from Wake Forest, so teams have dived into his 2019 season when he threw 11 of his 26 touchdowns against Utah State, Rice and Elon and had four games when he completed fewer than 47% of his passes.

For the Broncos, Mills might be the most "ready'' of the quarterbacks after the top tier. He has a combination of athleticism, size and arm strength and is savvy in the pocket, but he will need a bit of a ramp-up to get his career going.

Wait, so a guy who literally only started 11 games in college is somehow the "most ready"?

I don't completely dislike Mills. I'd take him before Trask certainly, but not before Mond. Mond definitely has some inconsistency in his game, but he's a 3.5 year starter in the SEC who got better every year he played. He was also surrounded by pretty bottom rung talent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Wait, so a guy who literally only started 11 games in college is somehow the "most ready"?

I don't completely dislike Mills. I'd take him before Trask certainly, but not before Mond. Mond definitely has some inconsistency in his game, but he's a 3.5 year starter in the SEC who got better every year he played. He was also surrounded by pretty bottom rung talent.

I gather the angle is Stanford's offense is pro style unlike some of the others.  but I agree with your overall point -- he's certaintly the most inexperienced. 

I’m a fan of General Mills and his wonderful assortment of sugary breakfast treats.

I believe he ran something like a 4.58 forty which is intriguing. The Biggest concern for me is that he’s lost time to two major knee injuries.

Does anyone know if he hurt both knees or the same knee twice? Much rather have it be injuries to both knees. After two acls I think you have to go the cadaver option with the third.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I gather the angle is Stanford's offense is pro style unlike some of the others.  but I agree with your overall point -- he's certaintly the most inexperienced. 

I think that, per PFF,  he also led all major prospects in time to release, implying quick decision making and an ability to read the field. That doesn't mean I want him though. I'd rather swing big in the 1st, or use our 2nd-4th round picks on players that are likely to contribute. The miss rate on QB's is just too high after the 1st round. 

20 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

It comes down to one thing and one thing only regards Lance, that’s whether or not Riverboat loves him or not?

If so, they’ve gotta move up to get him, just absolutely have to

Anything below love, leave it alone unless it gets close to us at 19

I agree. If they are seriously interested in Lance, then once it’s clear he’s not going top three, I’m starting the calls.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I’m a fan of General Mills and his wonderful assortment of sugary breakfast treats.

I believe he ran something like a 4.58 forty which is intriguing. The Biggest concern for me is that he’s lost time to two major knee injuries.

Does anyone know if he hurt both knees or the same knee twice? Much rather have it be injuries to both knees. After two acls I think you have to go the cadaver option with the third.

I believe it was the same knee.

That's a concern for me. Along with his extremely limited experience and his very spotty decision making. He'll drop a dime one play and then make an absolutely boneheaded throw the next. JT O'Sullivan said that about him as well when he reviewed him on youtube. He has some nice splash plays along with some "wtf was he thinking?" plays. Lots of Daniel Jones vibes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree. If they are seriously interested in Lance, then once it’s clear he’s not going top three, I’m starting the calls.

That may be in play, UK.  We just have to wait until the draft starts and see what unfolds.  Personally, I'd rather us draft a QB on day 2 in the 3rd round.