Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Love ya HigSkin and not directed towards you.  Your just the messenger but I hope this team doesn't go this direction.  Me thinks we need to groom a QB for the future and we can find the QB now.  Of course the media is going to throw out stories like this though.  LOL.

Also worth noting, the '22 class sucks, we really don't want to do a '19 redux, and just draft a QB because we need one even if the class sucks. Get the QB this year, this is the draft, this or '23, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It would be nice to find a long term starter, one that plays 10 years or more as our starting QB.   Someone that surpasses Rypien, Thiesman, Jurgeson, Baugh; the 4 QBS who had long periods of starting for us.

Has that ever happened in franchise history? It's somewhat depressing to look at Brady and New England or Rodgers and Green Bay or Big Ben and Pittsburgh and then look at Washington. Hell, even Derek Carr and the Raiders or Dalton and Cincinnati have longer runs than anyone in Washington in the last 50+ years.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would say that qualifies as pretty big news, doesn’t it?

Yes. He's probably going to slide some.

Still, I wouldn't count on us getting of the Top 5, in the first tier; unless they happen to be there at 19.  There's too many other hungry teams- Denver, New England and Chicago; who would be more willing to trade for their guy.  I don't think we are.  The team seems satisfied with our QB room now and won't reach to find that long term starter this year.  It's possible if one of the second tier QBs is still available, when we pick; we might draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'll be very surprised if we draft a QB this year.

23 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Also worth noting, the '22 class sucks, we really don't want to do a '19 redux, and just draft a QB because we need one even if the class sucks. Get the QB this year, this is the draft, this or '23, lol. 

Does every draft class historically have at least a few QB’s that stay in the league for a while?  I get it not every draft is as stacked as this one, but every draft has a few QB’s that are respectable and not terrible like Haskins 🙃.  

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

That’s called a smokescreen

I don't think so.  I could be wrong but I see more hungrier teams than us; wanting to get their QB.  If Denver moved up to #4, you know they are taking a QB.

Chicago already has shown how desperate they are, in trying to entire Houston to let Watson free. You know Bill is looking for that QB.

I think Ron is willing to wait.   If Denver does trade up to Atlanta's spot and Mac Jones is QB5; noone is trading up for him.   With the recent revelation about Fields; teams maybe hesitant to trade up for him.  If he falls to them; they may take him but not give up picks for him.

2022 may supposedly look bad now but we don't how the draft picture will be in 2022.  Someone could have a great year and move up.

58 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't think so.  I could be wrong but I see more hungrier teams than us; wanting to get their QB.  If Denver moved up to #4, you know they are taking a QB.

Chicago already has shown how desperate they are, in trying to entire Houston to let Watson free. You know Bill is looking for that QB.

I think Ron is willing to wait.   If Denver does trade up to Atlanta's spot and Mac Jones is QB5; noone is trading up for him.   With the recent revelation about Fields; teams maybe hesitant to trade up for him.  If he falls to them; they may take him but not give up picks for him.

2022 may supposedly look bad now but we don't how the draft picture will be in 2022.  Someone could have a great year and move up.

This is just speculation. Nobody has made a move yet except San Francisco.

Edited by JoggingGod

12 hours ago, Jericho said:

Has that ever happened in franchise history? It's somewhat depressing to look at Brady and New England or Rodgers and Green Bay or Big Ben and Pittsburgh and then look at Washington. Hell, even Derek Carr and the Raiders or Dalton and Cincinnati have longer runs than anyone in Washington in the last 50+ years.

I'm 53 and have never seen a 10 year franchise QB for my team....RGlll was my big hope, what a rookie season he had. 

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Yes. He's probably going to slide some.

Still, I wouldn't count on us getting of the Top 5, in the first tier; unless they happen to be there at 19.  There's too many other hungry teams- Denver, New England and Chicago; who would be more willing to trade for their guy.  I don't think we are.  The team seems satisfied with our QB room now and won't reach to find that long term starter this year.  It's possible if one of the second tier QBs is still available, when we pick; we might draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'll be very surprised if we draft a QB this year.

I really believe the wild card in the entire WFT organization is Taylor Heinicke....They now have Fitz so they can really take the next year and find out about Heinicke and even Allen. We all speculate how much we need a franchise QB in the draft but who's to say Fields, Jones, Lance or any of them will be better pro's than Heinicke who played his ass of in the playoffs? Don't discount how smart and fearless TH is and how confident he plays with his arm and legs. Playing with Fitz is only gonna help him. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Odds are that out of the Top 5 QBs; only one of them will have real success . A couple will have mediocre careers; bounce around the league. A couple will be out right busts.

Not sure that’s going to be the case here.

Of course, we can say that kind of thing every year. But this is my favorite crop of QBs in awhile. I didn’t like the Rosen class, I thought Josh Allen and Mayfield were the only two QBs worth anything in that draft... I missed in Lamar but was right about Darnold.

Other than Murray I really didn’t like 2019. 

This class I think has one major question mark: Lance. I think his legs give him the ability to make his accuracy issues less of an impact and I think he truly has a Josh Allen trajectory heading his way.

Fields, if the epilepsy isn’t really a thing, is in a similar boat. 

Lawrence shouldn’t be an outright bust but I think, even though I have him graded as the best prospect, I think he has the most probability to turn out a middle of the road career. But I doubt it’s any less than that.

Wilson is the guy I think has the highest bust potential.

Mac is another guy who has a high probability of being a mediocre guy.

But I don’t see any outright busts in this group.

Id say Fields/Lance/Wilson have the highest bust factor. I think Fields is too good to bust. Lance has the tools. And Wilson can be successful simply due to his ability to change arm angles and find lanes to throw. 

I’d guess this group nets one bust, two mediocre, two franchise level guys. Who? Not sure. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not sure that’s going to be the case here.

Of course, we can say that kind of thing every year. But this is my favorite crop of QBs in awhile. I didn’t like the Rosen class, I thought Josh Allen and Mayfield were the only two QBs worth anything in that draft... I missed in Lamar but was right about Darnold.

Other than Murray I really didn’t like 2019. 

This class I think has one major question mark: Lance. I think his legs give him the ability to make his accuracy issues less of an impact and I think he truly has a Josh Allen trajectory heading his way.

Fields, if the epilepsy isn’t really a thing, is in a similar boat. 

Lawrence shouldn’t be an outright bust but I think, even though I have him graded as the best prospect, I think he has the most probability to turn out a middle of the road career. But I doubt it’s any less than that.

Wilson is the guy I think has the highest bust potential.

Mac is another guy who has a high probability of being a mediocre guy.

But I don’t see any outright busts in this group.

Id say Fields/Lance/Wilson have the highest bust factor. I think Fields is too good to bust. Lance has the tools. And Wilson can be successful simply due to his ability to change arm angles and find lanes to throw. 

I’d guess this group nets one bust, two mediocre, two franchise level guys. Who? Not sure. 

I'd rather us use a draft pick on a QB in the 2nd or more so 3rd round.  I think Fields slide due to epilepsy and that scares teams off.  I just hope we don't take him.  Now don't but me on this I just have my issues with Ohio St. QBs.  I'm more than likely wrong but I haven't gotten the bad taste of Haskin's out of my mouth.  The red flag raise for me now with Fields.  I hope this young man has great success in the NFL but I hope another team takes its chance on him and not us.  IF we do I will of course root for him. :)

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd rather us use a draft pick on a QB in the 2nd or more so 3rd round.  I think Fields slide due to epilepsy and that scares teams off.  I just hope we don't take him.  Now don't but me on this I just have my issues with Ohio St. QBs.  I'm more than likely wrong but I haven't gotten the bad taste of Haskin's out of my mouth.  The red flag raise for me now with Fields.  I hope this young man has great success in the NFL but I hope another team takes its chance on him and not us.  IF we do I will of course root for him. :)

I actually hate the idea of drafting a QB in the second or third. They have to show juuust enough and that would push us out of the QB market next year. Especially with the possibility of Heinicke, Fitz and Allen (who I think gets the PUP treatment this year). 

Unless we love a guy. Honestly the only one of that group that I think has starter potential is Mills but his bust rate is through the roof. The other guys are backups long term I think.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually hate the idea of drafting a QB in the second or third. They have to show juuust enough and that would push us out of the QB market next year. Especially with the possibility of Heinicke, Fitz and Allen (who I think gets the PUP treatment this year). 

Unless we love a guy. Honestly the only one of that group that I think has starter potential is Mills but his bust rate is through the roof. The other guys are backups long term I think.

Why is Mills but rate through the roof?

Just now, RWJ said:

Why is Mills but rate through the roof?

Very limited experience, makes some really, really bad decisions with the ball, panics a bit in the pocket.

Pros: When he is call he throws a beautiful, catchable ball. Athletic enough. Good size. 

The decision making is the biggest thing for me. He seems to have that “**** it” mentality. He gets away with it sometimes in college but in the NFL I’m not sure he has the arm strength to translate it.

If I had to predict the QBs:

Lawrence-Will be a good solid long term starter but not the superstar people think he is. Will bring legitimacy to the Jags though. Think Eli Manning or Joe Flacco type career but unsure about Super Bowls.

Wilson-Bust because its the Jets. Don't trust that organization at all.

Jones-Will have a long but ultimately uneventful career no matter where he goes. Think Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff type career except I think he can win a ring or two.

Fields-Will be a star if he goes to the 49ers or Pats. If not, probably a bust.

Lance-Like Fields will depend where he goes. I actually think we could get develop him. On the Pats he'd be a star. But if he goes to like the Broncos or Bears? Bust.

The epilepsy thing for Fields sound scary but is it something that is easily controlled by drugs or something and it genuinely won't affect his play? Sorry to be ignorant, I know what it is obviously just can't equate it's effect on an NFL QB.

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Zaven Collins is off my board now due to his weight/size gain.

If Parsons drops to 13 I'd give up a 3rd to move up and get him. If not I wouldn't bother with LB until round 2/3.

Parsons playing with our defense would be a game changer....IF....he isn't a headache to deal with. Some teams have taken him off of their boards because of his character. I have good friends who know him very well from his high school years in Harrisburg where he had some issues that seemed to stem from immaturity.....who knows? 

Putting Parsons in our defense would be incredible and I'm sure RR and JDR would coach him up on and off the field. Chase Young would too. I'm on board with grabbing Parsons if we can get him.

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Very limited experience, makes some really, really bad decisions with the ball, panics a bit in the pocket.

Pros: When he is call he throws a beautiful, catchable ball. Athletic enough. Good size. 

The decision making is the biggest thing for me. He seems to have that “**** it” mentality. He gets away with it sometimes in college but in the NFL I’m not sure he has the arm strength to translate it.

That's why if they draft him he'll sit and watch and learn from Fitz.   That's the thing.  He's like a lot of the talked about QBs in this draft have little experience so if the WFT is going to use a draft pick may it be a 2nd or 3rd rather than a 1st.  

Edited by RWJ

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's why if they draft him he'll sit and watch and learn from Fitz.   That's the thing.  He's like a lot of the talked about QBs in this draft have little experience so if the WFT is going to use a draft pick may it be a 2nd or 3rd rather than a 1st.  

Disagree. What’s the sense in drafting a guy, not getting a look at him and going into next season with the same QB group essentially minus either Fitz, Allen or Heinicke?

Unless he actually is a bonafide starter. That changes it. I don’t know that he is and I see him as a risk because if he doesn’t show he’s the guy but shows he could maybe develop you are likely taking yourself out of the market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Disagree. What’s the sense in drafting a guy, not getting a look at him and going into next season with the same QB group essentially minus either Fitz, Allen or Heinicke?

Unless he actually is a bonafide starter. That changes it. I don’t know that he is and I see him as a risk because if he doesn’t show he’s the guy but shows he could maybe develop you are likely taking yourself out of the market.

Well, we all have our thoughts and ideas.  In the end, the WFT makes their selections next week and we see what they think. 

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, we all have our thoughts and ideas.  In the end, the WFT makes their selections next week and we see what they think. 

That’s the whole point of these discussions. You asked my thoughts and I gave my own. You’re right, though. We will see what WFT thinks next week. But at the end of the day that doesn’t validate or invalidate any of our feelings.