Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have a WR1, RB1, TE1, top ten Oline, top 10 defense and ZERO QB1.

We also have a very respected coaching staff and a ton of cap money.

We're a better fit than all the teams drafting in front of us as well. 

We are a great option for Mariotta and a journeyman that thinks they'll be a future starter for a while.

I was with you until you mic dropped Mariotta and then

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

What else do we got? We're not a Farve spot. We have to stretch and dream.

Yeah, it's too early to in this anticipated cap massacre off-season to contrast and compare.  The only thing all of us fans here know is that if Heinicke pulls off the big magic trick, then @Malapropismic Depositoryis the orangutan in this clip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Washington's never really had trouble luring free agents here. They've signed plenty to many big $$ deals. The reality is that truly elite players don't hit free agency. They re-sign or get tagged. So you're already into second and third tier guys that you're trying to lure. But Washington has had no problem getting some to sign here. And yeah, no team ever signs all the free agents they want. There are 32 teams and a finite number if impact free agents. You're going to lose out on 4 out of 5 due to numbers alone. But there's nothing to suggest that there's some wide stigma against Washington. It's money that talks in free agency.

We never had trouble luring free agents who mostly just wanted a big ass payday and didn't really care all that much about anything else. Or who were in reality just mediocre players who we paid as if they were elite ones.

London Fletcher is really the only one I can think of who didn't end up in one of those two categories.

D Hall ended up being a pretty good pickup for us, but when we signed him he hardly had anywhere else to go after being dropped by Oakland so he didn't have many choices.

6 hours ago, Jericho said:

Where else are they going to go? New England? Cause they're loaded at the skill positions, right? Chicago? Will Allen Robinson still be there (probably will get tagged)? QBs have few options if they want to start, and it's unclear if the other places even want them. If Mariota got cut, what teams would: (1) want him; (2) pay him decent money; and (3) give him a realistic chance to start? The list is short and the same holds true for any other free agent QB.

Well said...I also think some are selling our culture, coaches, players abd other things short when saying good WR's or QB's wont want to play here. The future is very bright in DC...and we have lots of $$$$.

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Me too.  Wait, are we talking about Heinicke, MD, or the orangutan?

I'm actually pulling for all three. Heinicke because I do like underdogs and it would be amazing if he somehow turned out great, MD because he's just so dedicated and he already had his heart broken recently when Alex Smith was released, and the orangutan because everyone roots for orangutans. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We know that WFT likes Mariota considering multiple sources (local and national) said we tried to trade for him.  I gather the hold up is teams want Mariota to renegotiate his contract and he's not willing to do it -- hence per the article I put up last night they'd have to release him.  The contract is what devalues him as an asset in a trade.  Many articles linking NE interest.  Will see. 

Do we know if the WFT has any interest in Fitzpatrick, SIP?  Have you seen any tweets or articles that shows this?  Thanks in advance. :)

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

We never had trouble luring free agents who mostly just wanted a big ass payday and didn't really care all that much about anything else. Or who were in reality just mediocre players who we paid as if they were elite ones.

London Fletcher is really the only one I can think of who didn't end up in one of those two categories.

D Hall ended up being a pretty good pickup for us, but when we signed him he hardly had anywhere else to go after being dropped by Oakland so he didn't have many choices.

Shawn Springs

Terry Allen

Pierre Garcon

Ken Harvey

London Fletcher

D Hall

Josh Norman

Santana Moss

Henry Ellard

D Jax

All free agents that were good players for us. 

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Do we know if the WFT has any interest in Fitzpatrick, SIP?  Have you seen any tweets or articles that shows this?  Thanks in advance. :)

I haven't seen anything related to Fitz but if they bring him in then that's good competition and let whoever balls out take the spot on top. :cheers:

• Like 1

Based on past seasons from Rivera, we know that whoever gets brought in to the QB room will be told they have to EARN the starting job. Hopefully, whoever that is can handle it (if it's a veteran) or else they are not going to want to sign here.

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Shawn Springs

Terry Allen

Pierre Garcon

Ken Harvey

London Fletcher

D Hall

Josh Norman

Santana Moss

Henry Ellard

D Jax

All free agents that were good players for us. 

Randy Thomas, Cornelius Griffin and Philip Daniels off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was actually just about to ask the same question.

But I know KoolBlue. And he had to be talking about TH. He loves him almost as much as I do.

As long as the Orangutan doesn't have an injury history, I'd bring him in. 

VM+I and a PB banana sandwich?

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

None that I can recall.  Only thing is Keim mentioned potential FA targets and those were Fitzpatrick, Dalton, T. Taylor.  He also mentioned Winston but said NO expected to keep him.  But the way he worded his article its tough to tell if that was just his opinion, he just randomly picked those as examples of FAs or that is what he's hearing.  He definitely didn't say he's heard they are interested in those players.  So to me too vague to know.   

20 hours ago, Burgold said:

Now, a good QB may look at our line and say, "Whoa! I'm not sure I'm lasting sixteen games and a good QB might say, "I need a couple more receivers," but we don't need to devalue our situation. I think the biggest thing going against Washington is our narrative. We're a team no one thinks about in a serious way. Under Gruden, we were a middling team or just below middling, before that we were worse than irrelevant unless you go all the way back to Gibbs II except during RGIII's rookie season where we scared the heck out of everyone.

A good QB wouldn't IMO think that of our O line.  Speaking of old versus new narratives, the idea that we have a bad O line is somewhat passe.  Rivera has actually touted it in some of his recent interviews.  PFF ranks it the 6th best in the league.  Our two FA signings on the O line last off season panned out but there was certainly concerns before that.  We could use a new LT but Lucas was actually good in pass protection.  Our WR corp sans McLaurin are horrendous.  NFL.com ranks it the worst in the league and I agree with them.  But i think we fix that this off season.

But as for the reputation of this franchise, yeah we are considered one of the bottom feeders sadly for a long time. The only team I believe that hasn't won 11 games in like 30 years, I believe one of only 4 teams not to make the championship game in like 25 years or something like that.  Add perhaps the worst stadium in the league and the worst facilities and the worst owner who is presently under seige in a major league investigation.

All in all, this isn't Shangri la.  Thankfully we got Rivera who is respected not just as a coach but a man of intergrity.  We finally got a league wide star, Chase Young.  And a strong defense.  Like you said this defense just dove off a cliff once Shanny took over and it never recovered until last season.  I was a big Shanny guy when he was hired but the one thing that I was warned about was his defenses tend to stink and boy did he take Greg/Gregg's defenses and quickly turn them into the bad defenses like he had in Denver.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RWJ said:

Not sure about WFT interest but John Clayton report this possibility...

https://denverfan.com/2092367/clayton-the-broncos-will-be-bringing-in-competition-for-drew-lock/

Ryan Fitzpatrick looks like he’s going to retire. The Broncos did make some contact with him. He’s been with eight teams and played a long time. But it looks like he’s going to be out of the mix.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

None that I can recall.  Only thing is Keim mentioned potential FA targets and those were Fitzpatrick, Dalton, T. Taylor.  He also mentioned Winston but said NO expected to keep him.  But the way he worded his article its tough to tell if that was just his opinion, he just randomly picked those as examples of FAs or that is what he's hearing.  He definitely didn't say he's heard they are interested in those players.  So to me too vague to know.   

If Fitz is indeed retiring, they are not drafting a QB, and my options were between Dalton, Taylor and Winston I would go Winston. He at least will sling the ball and should intrigue offensive FA weapons. He would bring good competition with Heinicke like Fitz would.

If they are looking for a game managing stopgap then Dalton although I would want to look at FA Brissett also for this role.

26 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If Fitz is indeed retiring, they are not drafting a QB, and my options were between Dalton, Taylor and Winston I would go Winston. He at least will sling the ball and should intrigue offensive FA weapons. He would bring good competition with Heinicke like Fitz would.

If they are looking for a game managing stopgap then Dalton although I would want to look at FA Brissett also for this role.

I think it's extremely likely that Winston stays with NO. Especially if Brees retires. NO and Payton have been open about wanting to bring him back. If Brees retires that means Winston will be their starting QB.

If Fitz retires, the FA pool is going to absolutely stink. If the Raiders release Mariota he'll easily be the best of a putrid bunch and someone will undoubtedly reach and sign him to a huge deal.

Dalton could be an option but he's so underwhelming in general. If we draft a QB high then I'd be ok with him as a 1 year stopgap. Especially if it's a guy like Lance who probably needs some time to get up to speed with the NFL game.

Dak will not hit the open market.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Why?

What value does paying them money to play over our current group bring?  We know what win/loss record those guys have had for multiple teams.  We know what win/loss record those teams get when they suddenly get a better QB over that group.

So...why bring that same failure here?

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think it's extremely likely that Winston stays with NO. Especially if Brees retires. NO and Payton have been open about wanting to bring him back. If Brees retires that means Winston will be their starting QB.

I've seen this claim repeated a bunch about Winston, almost like people believe it to be a fact at his point. It actually shouldn't be hard to lure Winston away from New Orleans....if you're willing to commit to him. But the reality is that I expect the market for Winston to be soft. If all he's getting are $4 to $5 million dollar offers, he's probably going to stay in New Orleans, a place where he knows the system, has an actual chance to start, and has weapons. But Taysom Hill carries a $16,159,000 cap hit in 2021 and New Orleans is about $50 million over the cap. So if you're willing to give Winston $12 million or even more, he's probably yours. New Orleans isn't matching that.

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If Fitz retires, the FA pool is going to absolutely stink. If the Raiders release Mariota he'll easily be the best of a putrid bunch and someone will undoubtedly reach and sign him to a huge deal.

Not sure of your definition of "huge". If Mariota is cut, it's because no team will trade for his contract. A contract that might pay him twenty million this year. So in free agency he'd be getting less than that, maybe more like $15 million at most. And it'll probably be a two year deal max, maybe just a one year deal or maybe something similar to what Mariota just signed that's heavily incentive laden with a large second year base salary.

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Dak will not hit the open market.

Agreed.

• Like 2