Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Heineke put up 23 on the eventual Super Bowl winning defense. A defense that was completely dominate after their game against us. 

And he did it with very little prep.  Our eyes didn’t deceive us.  We have our man

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

And he did it with very little prep.  Our eyes didn’t deceive us.  We have our man

We were trailing by 5 with like 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter... very much in that Bucs game!  Closer than any other team in the post season, for sure!

Edited by petey hodge
spellling
  • Like 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934261-predicting-landing-spots-for-nfls-best-2021-free-agent-qbs

Predicting Landing Spots for NFL's Best 2021 Free-Agent QBs

3. Cam Newton: Washington Football Team

3 OF 8

Stew Milne/Associated Press

What looked like a potential steal for the New England Patriots turned into a disaster after they signed Cam Newton to a one-year, $1.1 million free-agent contract last offseason. They didn't make the postseason for the first time since 2008, and Newton struggled with an 8-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio. 

Many may write off the former league MVP after the disappointing campaign. However, the Patriots' offensive downturn didn't fall entirely on the quarterback's broad shoulders. They lacked the necessary talent at the skill positions to help the signal-caller. 

Newton still has certain capabilities as a starting option even if he's not the same quarterback who once ran roughshod over the league. Maybe a reunion in New England is forthcoming, but the Patriots are positioned to make a run at a top quarterback prospect with this year's 15th overall draft pick (or a potential trade up). 

The Washington Football Team and its staff certainly have a long working relationship with Newton. Both head coach Ron Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner obviously spent plenty of time with the quarterback in Carolina. 

Interest between the two parties didn't materialize last year because Washington still had recent first-round pick Dwayne Haskins Jr. on the roster, Newton was coming off yet another injury and New England required an immediate starter. 

With expectations tempered, Washington could use a veteran to push Taylor Heinicke if the team doesn't draft another quarterback.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934261-predicting-landing-spots-for-nfls-best-2021-free-agent-qbs

3 OF 8

What looked like a potential steal for the New England Patriots turned into a disaster after they signed Cam Newton to a one-year, $1.1 million free-agent contract last offseason. They didn't make the postseason for the first time since 2008, and Newton struggled with an 8-to-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio. 

Many may write off the former league MVP after the disappointing campaign. However, the Patriots' offensive downturn didn't fall entirely on the quarterback's broad shoulders. They lacked the necessary talent at the skill positions to help the signal-caller. 

Newton still has certain capabilities as a starting option even if he's not the same quarterback who once ran roughshod over the league. Maybe a reunion in New England is forthcoming, but the Patriots are positioned to make a run at a top quarterback prospect with this year's 15th overall draft pick (or a potential trade up). 

The Washington Football Team and its staff certainly have a long working relationship with Newton. Both head coach Ron Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner obviously spent plenty of time with the quarterback in Carolina. 

Interest between the two parties didn't materialize last year because Washington still had recent first-round pick Dwayne Haskins Jr. on the roster, Newton was coming off yet another injury and New England required an immediate starter. 

With expectations tempered, Washington could use a veteran to push Taylor Heinicke if the team doesn't draft another quarterback.

Absolutely No to Newton. 

• Like 5

I think the FO's Plan A at this point is Dak if he doesn't get tagged (hard to say, probably won't happen, but could). Plan B is Mariota if he gets cut (looks like he will). Plan C is bringing in a reclamation project like Trubisky and Darnold.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is something that surprised me when I started watching more of Trask. For such a big dude, he has a pretty weak arm.

Then again, size and arm strength aren't necessarily directly correlated all the time. Mahomes isn't a huge dude and he has a cannon. Murray doesn't have the arm of Mahomes but he has a very good one, probably top 10, and he's small. Rodgers isn't a big QB but has a hell of an arm. I guess it's more about torque and natural/genetic biomechanics.

It's like throwing punches...some guys seem to just have that latent ability to absolutely devastate with a single blow, even if they aren't enormous. You can improve it with good mechanics and strengthening your core, hips, etc...but that will only improve it so much before you "peak" out your natural ability.

It’s also about fast twitch muscle fibers. It’s why a lot of those QBs that can run also have rocket arms.

Raiders more likely to release Marcus Mariota than trade him

Cole Thompson  2 hrs ago

As NFL free agency is right around the corner, teams will be prepping to make big-time investments on the market. Most will know their value. Some will be wanting top dollar this offseason.

What should we make of the Las Vegas Raiders? Well, that is where things become complicated.

The Raiders are trying to free up cap space left and right entering the offseason. A name that has generated plenty of buzz is Marcus Mariota, who currently serves as the team's backup quarterback.

There are up to nine teams that could be looking to upgrade under center. Mariota, who formerly started 4.5 years with the Tennessee Titans, was considered a hot name on the trade block earlier this offseason. Now, those talks have digressed.

Las Vegas wants to get something in return for a proven veteran. The problem is, no one is biting with an offer to take on his contract. Ultimately, this could lead to Mariota's eventual release.

Will Marcus Mariota end up on the free agent market?

There isn't much to go off of Mariota for the 2020 season. Derek Carr was the incumbent starter and shined when on the field. When Mariota did play, he was impressive.

In a Week 15 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers, the former Titans starter delivered several strikes downfield, going 17-of-28 passing and rushing for 88 yards and a fourth-quarter touchdown.

Las Vegas has itself in a predicament for multiple reasons. Mariota will make $10.7 million next season. Should the 27-year-old start for Las Vegas, or any team, his incentives would allow him to earn over $20 million next season.

The Raiders would prefer to trade Mariota, where they would receive a draft pick in return. The only problem is it would require Mariota to re-work his contract to facilitate a trade to a different team.

No surprise, Mariota isn't budging.

Should the Raiders release him, that would save more than $11 million in cap space. Mariota then could decide where he would like to play next season on a lesser deal. As it stands, barring a setback with the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston might be the only starting-caliber quarterback on the market.

It's not what the Raiders want, but it's what they'll need to do moving forward if they don't want to pay Mariota.

image.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll just say if they go after Darnold and land him, I'll be convinced for good they will always do the very thing at QB that I'd hate the most -- since it would then be three times in a row.  2 times could be an accident, 3 times in a row is a sad pattern.  😕

So if that happens from that point on the QB thread, I will say the opposite of what I really think and hope that changes my luck. 🙄 And if its Darnold they acquire I strongly suspect this same QB thread will be alive and well next winter/spring, too. 

Amen...and the spring after that.

Just say no to Darnold! Virtually any other option is okay

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I actually wouldnt be disgusted with Trubisky. He will be affordable. And has shown flashes of being very good. No to Darnold. He has shown no flashes at all. Trubisky at least led a team with a good defense to an 11-3 record. And played pretty damn well in that 2018 season. 

Can the right coaching staff make a Josh Allen out of Trubisky? THAT is the question. Trubisky has size, legs and a big arm....that's the good news, he also is inaccurate and inconsistent, that's the bad news. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I think Darnold can thrive here. 

Trade a late pick for him, sign Golladay, Robinson, Godwin and Gronk, draft Pitts and trade up to draft Najee. Re-sign Trent Williams and bring in Zeitler and I expect a solid 2500 20 TD season!

What makes you think Darnold would thrive here? I'm just curious, not being sarcastic. What is it you see in him that makes you think this. I'm on record as noting that he's still only 23 and could have a decent career ahead of him in the right situation but I can't go as far as using the word thrive til I see more from him.

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

3 OF 8

I agree with this but only if RR and staff feel like Heiny or Allen have a chance to lead this team far. Cam would be an insurance policy not an answer at the position.

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

What makes you think Darnold would thrive here? I'm just curious, not being sarcastic. What is it you see in him that makes you think this. I'm on record as noting that he's still only 23 and could have a decent career ahead of him in the right situation but I can't go as far as using the word thrive til I see more from him.

Did you... not read the entire post?

36 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

:chair:

It's important to read more than 6 words.

• Like 1

This is only 5 minutes and worth a watch IMO.  That's the playoff game ironically where the Titans surprisingly upset the Chiefs on the road, Alex Smith's last game as a Chief.

You can see Mariota's mobility on display and he can be a bit of baller he had quite the block on one play, caught his own pass on another on a ball deflected for a TD.

Don't get me wrong, I don't get crazy jazzed about any of these 2nd tier options.  But for me eyes at least when i've watched Mariota it doesn't seem crazy to me that he can be salvaged.  I've truly tried hard to fall for Darnold because he's likely accessible this off season but I don't just see it with him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

28 minutes ago, smooth said:

i kinda like Darnold too! Still young , and hasnt had anything in new york to work with team has been garbage! 

Ugh. One post. Now there are pro-Sam Darnold Russian bots. 

Edit: J/K! Welcome!

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think Darnold can thrive here. 

Trade a late pick for him, sign Golladay, Robinson, Godwin and Gronk, draft Pitts and trade up to draft Najee. Re-sign Trent Williams and bring in Zeitler and I expect a solid 2500 20 TD season!

You left out losing half the season to a strike and re-signing John Riggins to carry the offensive load.

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

If Dak gets tagged by Tuesday, WFT will take a hard run at Mariota IMO.

Mariota's got limited options if he's looking for a starting gig. I think it's basically Washington, New England, or Chicago. Otherwise he'll just be looking at a back-up job with possible upside (which is what he got with the Raiders in 2020). Maybe a place like Denver? Despite some internet rumors, not sure New England cares about Mariota. They had no QB last year and just passed on Mariota. Not sure what would have changed in 2021. Also not sure what Washington or Chicago think of him, but if I had to bet, it would be one of those two.

I remember some people on this board were talking about a Day 2 pick for Mariota. Madness. Hell even John Keim was talking about it:

Remember, this is silly season. Don't believe everything you read.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If we get a stopgap QB like Mariotta, Fitzmagic; that's all it will be.  We will then probably draft a QB in rounds 2-4; someone that will take time to develop.

It's true it's just a stopgap, but a 2nd-4th round pick is basically just a back-up too. Plus the team already has Heinicke and Allen. Is the team going to assemble 4 bad QBs and hope they somehow form into one good one like Voltron?